The Hi-energy In Stadium Announcer........

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Dou you think the Lions should fire the cheesy announcer guy?

Yes
37%
No
46%
Hire J Paul Mconnell
17%

Total votes: 52
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Yank In BC wrote:Those yahoos spend more time trying to get it started then watching the damn game.

If the wave never happens again in the dome I will not be one to cry.
:whs: Trying to figure out what schemes they're using on O, and how we're countering on D, then the wave starts and the view of a great defensive play is ruined.

Ban the wave, but keep the drum, D.
Larry Key
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
orangeshoes99 wrote:He's annoying most of the time, but I do feel without him we wouldn't get the noise we can on defense. Not enough people realize that's the point yet.
:whs:

But at least he isn't of the Stampeders mold, even more annoying.
You guys haven't heard anything until you hear Jerry Forbes of the Stamps. He would be the ultimate idiot in my mind. If I could sneak a gun into McMahon, I'd shoot the loser. :x
ThreeTimesOneMinusOne
Champion

Anybody remember the old Maple Leaf Gardens PA guy? He made our guy sound loud.
almo89
Legend

The guy that does the announcements for like tackles and first, 2nd and 3rd downs is pretty good. The guy that tries to rev up the crowd stinks but at least he can get them going. Until they can find somebody better, i don't care if that guy stays or not
D
Team Captain

No .... Tim not only does a good job he visits this site :yes:
I own The Grey Cup! .com
Bosco
Team Captain

Larry Key wrote:
Rammer wrote:
orangeshoes99 wrote:He's annoying most of the time, but I do feel without him we wouldn't get the noise we can on defense. Not enough people realize that's the point yet.
:whs:

But at least he isn't of the Stampeders mold, even more annoying.
You guys haven't heard anything until you hear Jerry Forbes of the Stamps. He would be the ultimate idiot in my mind. If I could sneak a gun into McMahon, I'd shoot the loser. :x
The thing is - you probably wouldn't be the the only guy in McMahon with a gun. :lol:
MacNews
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:...Surely we don't need an announcer to tell the fans when to cheer.
You wanna bet?

I think Tim Donovan is the best. He does a great job getting me and the rest of the fans in the stadium pumped up. I love his high-octane voice, it's great. If he ever views this forum then my congrats to him. I can't imagine JP doing it! :shock: :rockin:
derekrazzellsballs

MacNews wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:...Surely we don't need an announcer to tell the fans when to cheer.
You wanna bet?

I think Tim Donovan is the best. He does a great job getting me and the rest of the fans in the stadium pumped up. I love his high-octane voice, it's great. If he ever views this forum then my congrats to him. I can't imagine JP doing it! :shock: :rockin:
Maybe the reason I nreally get annoyed is that he's telling me to be loud and I'm already screamin my frigin' head off. It peeves me that everyone else sits on their hands until he says to cheer....Its almost like someone at a movie holding up "Laughter" and "Applause" signs. :x
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

:wink: :wink:
rb
Champion

Well, the BC Place guy is not nearly as annoying as the clown in Hamilton. He's driving me nuts, just watching the game on TV.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

rb wrote:Well, the BC Place guy is not nearly as annoying as the clown in Hamilton. He's driving me nuts, just watching the game on TV.
:lol: :lol: The B.C. Place announcer is a librarian compared to this guy.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

rb wrote:Well, the BC Place guy is not nearly as annoying as the clown in Hamilton. He's driving me nuts, just watching the game on TV.
Agree. That guy is obnoxious. My opinion of having an announcer yelling into the PA system to encourage fans to cheer is bush league.
MacNews
Team Captain

He sucks, Tim Donovan could do a better job over the phone.
Charlene

I actually like the Lion's announcer, sure he's cheesy and a dork but would we really want someone who is monotone, dull and not good at getting us excited?
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Yank In BC wrote:
Sharpo wrote:Speaking of hi energy in the stadium.. how about those wave's in the first quarter!? Who started that, Section 20 or 19? It went all the way around for like 5-10 times For a preseason game, that was :rockin: :rockin: :rockin:
The wave sucks...period.

Those yahoos spend more time trying to get it started then watching the damn game.

If the wave never happens again in the dome I will not be one to cry.
I'm with you there. I used to think it was a really cool thing when it first came out back in the late 70s and would be jumping to my feet along with everyone else as the wave swept through my section. I remember it from a 1979 Canucks/Flyers playoff game and the final years of Empire Stadium. Now more than a quarter century later the novelty of it has long disappeared and it comes across to me as a slap on the face to the athletes on the field depending on the timing. It's the fans saying "we're bored" and need to create our own entertainment. It in turn becomes a distraction when it occurs during the normal flow of the game. Want to do it just before the opening kickoff, second half kickoff or between quarters? Fill yer boots. Any other time just make some noise and pay attention to the game.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.