Do you like the new CFL Rules?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Do you like the new rules?

I hate em
7%
I sort of like em
21%
I like em
57%
I love em
14%

Total votes: 28
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

do you like the new CFL Rules?
2012 Season Ticket Holder
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Specifically which new rules ? Shouldn't there be a poll for each rule ?
MacNews
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Specifically which new rules ? Shouldn't there be a poll for each rule ?
If you want to create several different poll threads, go ahead. I personally think that one is enough.
uncle leo
Starter

I like the special teams rule, there always seems to be confusion on punts and such so this will give teams some leaway. However, I am interested to see how the league will rule the sleeper plays and such. But why change the eligible numbers? I was perfectly fine with O-linemen wearing numbers in the 40's. :bang:
Robbie
Hall of Famer

I think extreme measures on one end in light of a recent posting requires extreme measures on the other end. And as MN said, one thread is enough. What do you think about the new 2009 CFL rules?

Two games into the regular season, do you like, dislike, undecided, or indifferent about the four new rules?

For me, I like the adoption of the NHL in which the commentators tell the audience they are viewing it in Toronto when a disputed call is being reviewed.

But it looks like the decision to concede safeties hasn't really changed, and I was hoping that would be discouraged.

Here are the four new 2009 CFL rules again:

The elimination of the option for the scored-upon team to scrimmage from its 35-yard line after field goals. This is said to add excitement by preventing a team up by six points to scrimmage and take a knee three times to effectively end the game with one minute to go.

Kickoffs being from the 25-yard line rather than the 35-yard line following a safety: the average kickoff in 2008 went 60 yards downfield, while the average kickoff return was 21 yards, making the option between scrimmaging and receiving kickoffs a wash.

Removing the restriction that a quarterback must take the snap from the centre. This effectively legalizes the wildcat offense (where a running back takes the snap) in Canadian football, which had long been legal in American football.

Video replays for coaches challenges will now ordinarily be reviewed at a command centre in the CFL's office in Toronto rather than in the video replay booth on the field. As well, if a team is successful in its two replay challenges, they will be awarded a third one.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Rammer
Team Captain

Robbie wrote:
Here are the four new 2009 CFL rules again:

The elimination of the option for the scored-upon team to scrimmage from its 35-yard line after field goals. This is said to add excitement by preventing a team up by six points to scrimmage and take a knee three times to effectively end the game with one minute to go.

Kickoffs being from the 25-yard line rather than the 35-yard line following a safety: the average kickoff in 2008 went 60 yards downfield, while the average kickoff return was 21 yards, making the option between scrimmaging and receiving kickoffs a wash.

Removing the restriction that a quarterback must take the snap from the centre. This effectively legalizes the wildcat offense (where a running back takes the snap) in Canadian football, which had long been legal in American football.

Video replays for coaches challenges will now ordinarily be reviewed at a command centre in the CFL's office in Toronto rather than in the video replay booth on the field. As well, if a team is successful in its two replay challenges, they will be awarded a third one.
I like all the rule changes, and especially like the safety and video replay rules. This has sped up the game for the fan at the game.
Entertainment value = an all time low
David
Team Captain

The only one I don't care for is the automatic kick-off after a successful field goal. I suppose it adds more excitement as intended, but I see nothing wrong with a team electing to scrimmage from the 35. Why not, they were just scored on. And quite frankly, the new rule works (worked?) against us. I hate to kick a guy when he's down, but McCallum's kick-offs invariably went to the 20-25 yard line meaning the returner only had to gain 10-15 yards to get the field position back.

Meanwhile, guys like D'Angelis, Duval, and Boreham can nail it down to the goal line or 5 yard line and we have to really haul ass just to get it past the 25. Fortunately, Whyte has a strong leg for kick-offs too.

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Of the things that needed to be fixed, eliminating the 35 yd line election was not one of them. I never saw an issue with it in the first place.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:Of the things that needed to be fixed, eliminating the 35 yd line election was not one of them. I never saw an issue with it in the first place.
Think back to last year here against Edmonton. We were trailing by two scores in the final minute, and Wally elects to kick the FG. Then Edmonton takes three knees and hits the showers with the win. This rule change eliminates that scenario (mind you, he should have gone for the major — and he claimed he had a brain cramp in deciding to kick, amidst suspicions he was just cutting down the point differential for playoff seeding purposes).
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
Lions4ever wrote:Of the things that needed to be fixed, eliminating the 35 yd line election was not one of them. I never saw an issue with it in the first place.
Think back to last year here against Edmonton. We were trailing by two scores in the final minute, and Wally elects to kick the FG. Then Edmonton takes three knees and hits the showers with the win. This rule change eliminates that scenario (mind you, he should have gone for the major — and he claimed he had a brain cramp in deciding to kick, amidst suspicions he was just cutting down the point differential for playoff seeding purposes).
Good point. It would give the kicking team the opportunity to try the onside kick after a FG to maintain possession. Was that the intention of the rule change?
Rammer
Team Captain

Lions4ever wrote:
sj-roc wrote:
Good point. It would give the kicking team the opportunity to try the onside kick after a FG to maintain possession. Was that the intention of the rule change?
Yes that was the intent, where they could amend that is placing the new rule to only be in the final three minutes of a half.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Big Time
Champion

I've noticed the video reviews seem to be quicker, which is good. It took an absolute eternity before.

I predicted when they announced the safety rule that it wouldn't make an ounce of a difference. So far, my prediction appears to be true. I don't think moving the ball to the 25 yard line was anywhere near drastic enough. Either move it to the 15 yard line, or make a safety worth 3 points, but having the ball on the 25 is not enough of a deterrent. I'm hopeful they will review this again next year after they realize that the number of conceded safeties remained the same.

Only other rule that I've never understood that I hope they get rid of is the intentional grounding rules. Why a ball that is grounded but goes beyond the line of scrimmage is not considered a penalty I'll never understand. Intentional grounding is intentional grounding. You throw the ball where no one is standing to avoid a sack, it should be a penalty. This rule needs to change.
Tighthead
Legend

Big Time wrote:I've noticed the video reviews seem to be quicker, which is good. It took an absolute eternity before.

I predicted when they announced the safety rule that it wouldn't make an ounce of a difference. So far, my prediction appears to be true. I don't think moving the ball to the 25 yard line was anywhere near drastic enough. Either move it to the 15 yard line, or make a safety worth 3 points, but having the ball on the 25 is not enough of a deterrent. I'm hopeful they will review this again next year after they realize that the number of conceded safeties remained the same.

Only other rule that I've never understood that I hope they get rid of is the intentional grounding rules. Why a ball that is grounded but goes beyond the line of scrimmage is not considered a penalty I'll never understand. Intentional grounding is intentional grounding. You throw the ball where no one is standing to avoid a sack, it should be a penalty. This rule needs to change.
The video reviews are way improved.

I agree on the safety. Coaches love the get out of jail free card and the current change is not enough of a deterrent.

The grounding won't change because the league wants to be high scoring - the same reason why Cam Wake was allowed to be held last year - not good for business to have offences backing up too much.
David
Team Captain

Not sure which games you guys have been watching, but I've noticed way more punters punting the ball from their own end zone or 5 yard line instead of conceding the safety. Regardless, I would say 2 weeks is still too early to make any definitive statements about rule changes, good or bad.

For what it's worth, I don't think the new rule goes far enough to penalize teams giving up the safety either. I wanted them to make teams punt the ball from the 20 or 25, not kick-off.

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar