When did you become a Lions' fan

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Which decade did you become a Lions' fan?

1950s
5%
1960s
18%
1970s
14%
1980s
33%
1990s
18%
2000s
13%

Total votes: 110
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

3rd Down - yes, I remember those days very well. Sitting in the rain, listening to the screams of the roller coaster riders etc. Watching Kapp and Fleming in the mud.

Better stop now...I'm getting all weepy!!!
#1 Lions Fan in SK
Starter

I remember through the '70s, the family would watch football games on TV (two channels and one TV). I was bored to tears. Everyone liked it except me. In the early '80's, my brother took me to Taylor Field to watch the Riders and Lions. He took the time to explain the game to me and I was hooked. We made that trip to Taylor Field an annual thing for many years. Unfortunately now, being married with children, money is tight and we don't make it so often.

My grandma lived in Vernon in those days of travelling to Regina. She saw us on TV every time we went. Considering we were the only Lions fans in Taylor Field, we made a lot of noise!

My favorite team of all time were the years of Dewalt, Fernandez, Pankratz, Wilson, Passaglia, the especially the Orange Crush. I thought Hebeler seemed to be a hell of a motivator with all his stunts (I'll never forget when he announced he was changing from 58 to 99 and planned on being the Gretzky of football. Being such a fan of his is majorly responsible for my intense dislike of Don Matthews.

The only game I have attended in BC was the 99 Grey Cup. I was devastated when Calgary won the western final. I wanted to see my Lions. Mom and my brothers went to lots of games at Empire before we moved to SK in '74.

My pride and joy is a game football from the '94 Grey Cup signed by Lui. My dad bought it for me at a celebrity sports auction (along with a huge poster of the '94 Grey Cup Team). My kids aren't allowed to touch it.

By the way, I am another female fan. Displaced to SK at the tender age of 8 due to mother marrying a SK farmer.

Sorry to ramble!
nelson95
Legend

Ahhh the sheeting rain in front of the lights at empire...
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
Superfan

Dewalt, Fernandez, Clash, Wilson, Passaglia, many others..... My earliest memories of cfl football. My mom was a diehard fan and thus I was exposed to the game. Mid 80's was when my "education" started. Now a season ticket holder. 5 tickets this year. :yes: :helmet:
Don Miller
Legend

1960's
Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

#1 Lions Fan in SK wrote:I remember through the '70s, the family would watch football games on TV (two channels and one TV). I was bored to tears. Everyone liked it except me. In the early '80's, my brother took me to Taylor Field to watch the Riders and Lions. He took the time to explain the game to me and I was hooked. We made that trip to Taylor Field an annual thing for many years. Unfortunately now, being married with children, money is tight and we don't make it so often.

My grandma lived in Vernon in those days of travelling to Regina. She saw us on TV every time we went. Considering we were the only Lions fans in Taylor Field, we made a lot of noise!

My favorite team of all time were the years of Dewalt, Fernandez, Pankratz, Wilson, Passaglia, the especially the Orange Crush. I thought Hebeler seemed to be a hell of a motivator with all his stunts (I'll never forget when he announced he was changing from 58 to 99 and planned on being the Gretzky of football. Being such a fan of his is majorly responsible for my intense dislike of Don Matthews.

The only game I have attended in BC was the 99 Grey Cup. I was devastated when Calgary won the western final. I wanted to see my Lions. Mom and my brothers went to lots of games at Empire before we moved to SK in '74.

My pride and joy is a game football from the '94 Grey Cup signed by Lui. My dad bought it for me at a celebrity sports auction (along with a huge poster of the '94 Grey Cup Team). My kids aren't allowed to touch it.

By the way, I am another female fan. Displaced to SK at the tender age of 8 due to mother marrying a SK farmer.

Sorry to ramble!
Great post. Great Story.

Welcome #1 Lions Fan in SK. :thup:
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

In 97, ( I still have the program) I saw the Stamps (or Eskies I forget) against BC, and DA was QB along with Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu. (What a surprise it was in 17)

Then in 98 I went to 2 games and sat in midfield row 3 for both, which is close considering i was 4 lol.............skipping to 00, I went to Lui's last game, and the best moment of that was when the celebration thing started mid-game as the lights went out! After that game I was hooked! 8)

BTW, D did you work for the Leos in 00, cuz in the program it says "Derek Dale" (Or someone like that) and on the fax u sent me, it said send to "Derek sum1)??
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
Sharpo

Getting free tix in the 1980's for being paper carrier of the month. rockin! Also Orphan Cub in a jersey isn't too bad to look at either. (GO RICK JAMES!) :thup:
pinkfreud

I probably started going to games at Empire when I was 9 or 10. The games I remember are from the early 80's - Dewalt, Fernandez, Wilson, Hebeler. 1985 stands out in my mind the most. I was 13 and had a crush on Jacques Chapdelaine. No, really.

:lol:
Rammer
Team Captain

pinkfreud wrote:I probably started going to games at Empire when I was 9 or 10. The games I remember are from the early 80's - Dewalt, Fernandez, Wilson, Hebeler. 1985 stands out in my mind the most. I was 13 and had a crush on Jacques Chapdelaine. No, really.

:lol:
Well you can crush him now and a few lionbackers would be happy. :yes:
Entertainment value = an all time low
randymeeks
Legend

I can remember my father swearing at the t.v. during the Don Mathews years in the 80's when the Lions lost a playoff game. :lol:
"I have social skills, jackass!"
-Malcolm (Malcolm In The Middle)
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I think it was the year the Lions started 7-0 and I'm not even sure they made the playoffs. Early 80's I believe. I also remember AL Wilson as being the first BC Lion I recognized that retired. Must admit there have been some years I didn't think there would be a team to cheer on. Thankfully those days seem to be behind us.