When did you become a Lions' fan

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Which decade did you become a Lions' fan?

1950s
5%
1960s
18%
1970s
14%
1980s
33%
1990s
18%
2000s
13%

Total votes: 110
b_raunchy

Still in Ed-MUD-ton (the melting snow at this time of year ain't pretty) until school is done in april, then I hope to be back in Van for the summer....

As I recall....it was an expansion team playin out of Hornet Field with a certain David Archer at quarterback and Kay Stephenson as head coach. The Gold MIners didn't do to badly considering they transferred many of their players and personell straight up from the 4down WLAF to the CFL.

I remember Orlando in the WLAF had a standout quarterback named Scott MItchell who was supposed to be the NFL's next big thing and never panned out....going along those lines I still think some CFL time should have given Andre Ware more of a chance to develop and a full traning camp or two...that guy showed flashes..albeit brief...of brillance while up here...

The 1992 season ended on Halloween against the eskies. After winning those 3 in a row, the Leos dropped their last 7. They looked set to pull it out till the Giz returned a punt for a td with time expired....I remember JP on the radio saying that was the first time in history that BC Place drew less than 20,000 for a regular season Lions game. Sadly it was a sign of things to come throughout the 90's. I am so glad that fan apathy appears to be behind us now...I am rambling now...

Whats the deal with the tailgates?
3rd Down

...very kewl flashbacks ... and welcome again to the board .. check out the 'events' thread on here for our tailgates ...

ps...you are right about the Sacramento blow-out!
Surrey lioness
Starter

Early 90s for me.... Since I was this high.... uh..yeah. Against the odds...seeing as my dad was a bomber fan and all.
I know I'm not purrfect, but I'm Canadian....which is close enough.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I started out going to a few games with my Dad in the 70's. I remember the likes of Larry Key, John Henry White, Paopao and Tagge. It wasn't long before I became the most avid fan in the family. I would watch on TV and jump at the chance to go to games when Dad could get tickets from work. As I grew older, I became the torch bearer for the CFL at our house. At various periods when money would allow, I would have seasons tickets. Was at the GC for 94 and so on. Great moments. Now in 2000+, my father is getting on in years and I now have the pleasure of taking him to games. His birthday is in November and I got him txs for the West Div. Final last season. Well to see his enjoyment of the game was like me getting the present. He loved it. It was like he shed about 40 years to see him cheering and clapping. After the game, I introduced him to my new tradition, the White Spot on Georgia for a burger and post game highlights on the tube. He doesn't get out much now and that night and other nights like it are really special for him. I know that someday he will be gone and these moments shared are precious. Now I share this with my friend from Nfld and she has become my backup torch bearer in case I falter. It will never just be a game or a team, its family. :s:
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
3rd Down

Sir Purrcival wrote:I started out going to a few games with my Dad in the 70's. I remember the likes of Larry Key, John Henry White, Paopao and Tagge. It wasn't long before I became the most avid fan in the family. I would watch on TV and jump at the chance to go to games when Dad could get tickets from work. As I grew older, I became the torch bearer for the CFL at our house. At various periods when money would allow, I would have seasons tickets. Was at the GC for 94 and so on. Great moments. Now in 2000+, my father is getting on in years and I now have the pleasure of taking him to games. His birthday is in November and I got him txs for the West Div. Final last season. Well to see his enjoyment of the game was like me getting the present. He loved it. It was like he shed about 40 years to see him cheering and clapping. After the game, I introduced him to my new tradition, the White Spot on Georgia for a burger and post game highlights on the tube. He doesn't get out much now and that night and other nights like it are really special for him. I know that someday he will be gone and these moments shared are precious. Now I share this with my friend from Nfld and she has become my backup torch bearer in case I falter. It will never just be a game or a team, its family. :s:
Niiiice! Sir-P ... memories of Lions games with one's Dad are HUGE ... keep them
Rammer
Team Captain

I put down the 60's, but may of really become a "diehard fan" a little later than that. I do remember the acquisition of Jim Young that intrigued me as a youngster, so I followed the Lions a little bit when that happened.

As I read here, for most of you growing up watching the Lions play while you were heading to the games with your Dad's, must of been very sweet. For me, I lived way in the interior, closer to Calgary, but a very proud British Columbian, and thus a BC Lion fan from birth to some degree. Loved playing sports, watching them, and the Lions fell into the summer when the choice was football or baseball.........a no brainer. At any rate, I recall staying up until the 11:30 MST sports package would cover how the Lions game had finished. Couldn't go to sleep without knowing that outcome whem the games weren't on the TV. As I type this, I can recapture the anticipation that I would wait for the results, a win would be great, a loss would be a quickly forgotten and wait for the next result.

So I envyed all of you who got to grow up being able to watch the Lions live, and now enjoy your moments shared on here. So now I bring my children to the games to enjoy that feeling of game day, something that can never be taken away. Funny, now that I think about it, they are getting to be some spoiled with the team that the Lions have become, I went through the lean years clinging to a hope of an upset in a game or two to squeeze into the playoffs....... :s:

For the life of me, I still find it hard to believe that this board exists after many years of barely meeting anyone interested in the Lions outside the GVRD. Then to find people with my passion for the Lions, well my post count says it all.

Roar you Lions roar. :beer:
Entertainment value = an all time low
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

That was a heartfelt post Phil... :thup:

I first became a Lion diehard when Lui Pasaglia was in his rookie year, and actually rated as the Lion's third string QB...

Lu impressed me so much in a game against Edmonton in Edmonton, that I got actively reinterested in the CFL again...

I was a Vancouver Islander of ten years at the time in Port Albion, and I remember Jerry Tagge was the first stringer, and showed some potential to impress!
Last edited by PigSkin_53 on Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
3rd Down

PigSkin_53 wrote:That was a heartfelt post Phil... :thup:

I first became a Lion diehard when Lui Pasaglia was in his rookie year, and actually rated as the Lion's third string QB...

Lu impressed me so much in a game against Edmonton in Edmonton, that I got actively reinterested in the CFL again...

I was a Vancouver Islander of ten years at the time in Port Albion, and I remember Jerry Tague was the first stringer, and showed some potential to impress!
Hey Pigskin ... I freaked when I first saw Datillio!! Ha Ha ... yah Tagge was awesome ... guess you had to put up with Eric Guthrie first tho!

Fortumnately I had been exciled to Toronto ... and missed the horror shows of 1975 and 1976
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Interesting to see the poll stats that at the time I submitted showed not surprisingly that the 80s followed by the 60s are the top two. In their 51 years of existance the Leos have really only had two "Glory Days" periods, those being the early 60s and mid 80s.

I don't even know why I became a sports junkie as my parents never played any sports other than what they might have as kids and teenagers. My dad's youngest brother though was a huge sports fan and pretty good athlete. I think he probably got me going on sports. TV coverage in Union Bay when I was a kid in the 60s was limited to the one or two channels you could pick up on the antenna. Regardless I became aware of pro sports such as hockey, football and baseball around the age of 5. By the time I was 8 I had become a lifelong fan of the BC Lions, Baltimore Colts, Detroit Red Wings and SF Giants. Even if reception on that old TV antenna was lousy as long as I could make out some shadows of players moving around in the "snow" I'd try to watch whatever game was on.

My first exposure to the Lions in person was at their 1965 Training Camp in Courtenay when I was 8. Seeing them in game action wouldn't happen for another decade. Today travelling back and forth from the Island to the mainland is done without blinking an eye. Back then families rarely made the trek other than as part of a family vacation or for very special occasions. I can probably count on one hand how many times our family went to Vancouver before I got my driver's licence. I didn't get to see the Lions live at Empire until 1974 when I was 17. Begged and grovelled to borrow the family sedan and me and 3 other buddies would head off to Vancouver. Of course we had to get one buddy to get his sister's boyfriend to get us a couple cases of beer for the motel room. Mom must've been questioning her own sanity letting four 17 year olds take her car to Vancouver back then. Anyways we went over and watched Saskatchewan with the George and Ronnie Show give BC another lesson. I think in typical Lion fashion of the era BC led 16-0 at the half and wound up losing 32-16. A year later I'd be working up in the north Island which left a long trek of anywheres from 5 to 6 hours (logging road conditions permitting) just to get to Nanaimo. Still we made a point of catching at least one game each year. Then when the North Island Highway finally got punched through to Woss around 1979 I started picking up half season tickets as the schedule usually switched to all Saturdays after Labour Day. When the Dome opened up I was up to full season ducats.

So I started being a fan at the peak of the Kapp and Fleming era and continued on through the ups and downs. Seems there have been more downs than ups. But I think we're poised for third "Glory Days" era.
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

I have been a lions fan since I was born but i started going to games in 2002
2012 Season Ticket Holder
FAN

New to this board. Not a hardcore football fan so I don't have much to say. I became a Lion's fan during Doug Flutie's days.
3rd Down

..welcome FAN ... do you know about our tailgates?
ThreeTimesOneMinusOne
Champion

I became a fan in 1991 (I was born in 1983), as soon as I became aware of the Lions and the CFL. Flutie was big at the time, and the first I ever heard of him was from when I was reading the 1991 CFL scouting reports for all 8 teams for the start of the season in the Vancouver Sun.

First CFL game I ever went to was in fact not a Lions game but an Eskimos game at Commonwealth, in July 1991. My family and I went to Edmonton for a vacation and to visit relatives before heading to Calgary, Montana, Wyoming and South Dakota to see Mount Rushmore. I remember that Edmonton beat the Ottawa Roughriders on a late TD for a 40-33 win and I got to see Gizmo do a backflip. BC beat Winnipeg on the road the night before, and I remember watching that game on TSN.

The first Lions game I attended was also in the summer of 1991, and if I'm correct, it was the first game Darren Flutie ever played with Doug. It was vs. Winnipeg at the Dome. Me, my dad, and my brother sat way up high near the roof (like the good ol' days of big crowds) in the endzone without the scoreboard. Lions won 36-23. I think that was the score.

I went to one more game during the 1991 season, and it was the Hamilton heartbreaker that b_raunchy also saw. Sat in the endzone in the lower bowl on the side without the scoreboard. It was hard to believe they lost a first place clincher to an, at the time, 2-15 team.

Just stayed die-hard after that. Don't remember much about 1992 other than the obvious, but I remember how the Leos rebounded in 1993 and them beating Saskatchewan in the season opener. I knew things would be better right away.

One more note: In 1985 or so, me and my brother got our picture taken with Lui Passaglia. When the Lions played the Terry Fox Ravens senior boys basketball team (Which had Bret Anderson, the future SFU'er and BC Lion, btw. Terry Fox was the BC High School AAA Senior Boys Basketball Champions of 1992 and 1993.) in 1993, we got Lui to sign our picture and a card. My mom was a teacher at Fox, so we went to the game. The Lions beat Fox by one point.
Last edited by ThreeTimesOneMinusOne on Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3rd Down

Wow ... good memory 3x1-1

... pretty weird handle tho

... if you can remember the pain in late 1991 ... can you remember even worse pain at the WDF in 1999
ThreeTimesOneMinusOne
Champion

^Yup. Went to the 1999 WDF and I wore black and orange facepaint. The atmosphere was electrifying for a playoff game, but it was much bigger at last year's WDF. The fumble will always be remembered, but slaughtering Calgary in the following year's WDF to the tune of 9 turnovers, as well as the Grey Cup win, was the sweetest revenge. All at their house.