When did you become a Lions' fan

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Which decade did you become a Lions' fan?

1950s
5%
1960s
18%
1970s
14%
1980s
33%
1990s
18%
2000s
13%

Total votes: 110
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Die hard BC Lions fan. Never missed a game in over 30 years ! Got fired from my summer job when I booked off sick to watch the Lions played. Even left my brother's wedding reception to watch the Lions play ! How's that for dedication ??
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Even left my brother's wedding reception to watch the Lions play ! How's that for dedication ??
Well done. When my daughter decided to plan for a September wedding last year I handed her a Lions schedule and told her those were the dates she couldn't get married. She was fine with that. She's a season ticket holder too but she missed a game for her honeymoon.
David
Team Captain

I can still remember my Dad taking me to Empire. My first vivid recollections were the 1970 and 1971 seasons. Paul Brothers, Don Moorhead, Jim Young, Jim Evenson, Ted Gerela, Lefty Hendrickson....

It's funny one's childhood recollections: the whistle of the traffic cop on Hastings directing foot traffic across a major road, the long string of transit buses along Hastings, the whiff of Export A cigarettes in the air, the Beefeaters marching around the track, the sun setting behind the mountains....and here's a strange one: our kicker Ken Phillips punting the ball a mile high in warm-ups; the ball spiralling higher than the Empire roof like it was shot from a bazuka.

Like Solar Max I really got into the Lions during that improbable 1977 odyssey in which we won game after game in the dying seconds. Kind of like last season but with a less talented group. Tagge was my hero. I would cry when we lost and later as a teenager would snap pencils in my bedroom. I've always taken this trust with the football club seriously. Even today.

Biggest regret? Being too young to see Kapp and Fleming play. :bawl:

DH 8)
Last edited by David on Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Ah Paul Brothers, an Oregon State Duck grad. His passes were like wounded ducks, often times landing in the hands of the defender. Brutal quarterback.

Lefty Hendrickson. Often made up for his lack of speed by leaving the line of scrimmage early to get a jump on the defender. Killed many a drive by his ill timed offsides.
bbgirl
Legend

bc49 made me do it! :bawl:

2000 grey cup was the beginning.
orphan cub
Champion

2000's. I started with a few games in 2002 & saw Jamie Taras retire.

but been a CFL-er since the 80's when I lived in Hfx, but watched Calgary (what can I say? I was little kid who liked the horsies... :helmet: )

in high school I got a little smarter and rooted for Hamilton :rockin: altho I lived out of province, I had season tix with a friend and still cherish my Tabbies foam finger...

I moved to BC in '95 but kinda wan't that excited about football for a while, until Grey Cup 2002 where I met Bobby Ackles & other personnel. they really made me want to go out & support my home team :yes:
Passaglia
All Star

I became a fan in the 1991 season. My first game was that year against the Eskimos which the Lions won. My second game was the OT win over Rocket Ismail and the Argos(50,000 plus attended) who were undefeated up until that point and when on to win the Grey Cup.
Rick James
Legend

orphan cub wrote:2000's. I started with a few games in 2002 & saw Jamie Taras retire.

but been a CFL-er since the 80's when I lived in Hfx, but watched Calgary (what can I say? I was little kid who liked the horsies... :helmet: )

in high school I got a little smarter and rooted for Hamilton :rockin: altho I lived out of province, I had season tix with a friend and still cherish my Tabbies foam finger...

I moved to BC in '95 but kinda wan't that excited about football for a while, until Grey Cup 2002 where I met Bobby Ackles & other personnel. they really made me want to go out & support my home team :yes:
I didn't even like football until I met OC. Now she drags me kicking and screaming to games. 8)
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

I hae been going to Lions games and been a fan since 62. Born in 60, my Grandfather was an usher at the PNE and use to babysit me. Went to wrestling at the Forum/Agridome, hockey at the Forum, and of course football at Empire.

I have, as they say, see it all.

Lyin' Guy
:beer:
3rd Down

b_raunchy wrote:I was 8 years old in 88 when we lost to Winnipeg in the Cup. I remember my dad telling me that the Lions were in the Grey Cup. I chose to go outside and throw the football with friends rather than sit in and watch it.
I remember watching the 89 grey cup which first got me interested. In 1990 I remember sitting the in the Barbers Chair in Pender Harbour watchin an August game between the Lions and Argos that had some outrageous score something like 60 - 50 and the lead changed and PaoPao was at QB. I stayed long after my haircut was done to watch the game with Colonel...(anyone who has been to Pender Harbour may remember Colonel Flounders...he was an older fella who had a soda shop, fish and chips, grocery, and barber shop all in one store - if you sat in the barber chair he had a tiny tv and a bunch of olf lions memorobilia hanging on the walls - he is the one who got me hooked that day!!!)
Made my dad take me to a Lions game against the Eskies later that year in October after seeing that.
Started following the team seriously in 1991 when we had Jon Volpe and Flutie. Went to the Hamilton game that year where we lost at the end of the season. Was diehard after that. 1992 with Danny Barrett I cried when we lost to Calgary in the West semi, 1993 I kept crossing my fingers that we would get 30,000 fans in the 9th game of the year we were already 0-8 and the owner was saying 30,000 was needed to stay afloat. We then won 3 in a row. Was there in 94 for that incredible run, the grey cup tix were my bd present....since then it has pretty much been fanatical. ....I can't wait for this season to see how the DD and CP drama plays itself out. Boy is it going to be exciting. Glad it looks like I will be back in Van for the summer....

Does anyone remember the details of the high scoring lions argos game in the summer of 1990 that I am talking about?
Good memories for you b_r ... in 1990 the Argos killed us ... twice, I think ... in 1991 .. wen we had Flutie .. we drew over 53K for a game against them and the Rocket .... and we won in overtime ... with Ray .. the "Missle" outdoing the Rocket ... you remember him?

Not sure when we ever started 0-8 ... but it was not 1993 ... that's when we had Ritchie and Tillman ... and were about to become .... very good ...

...wonder who that 3% guy is on the poll? :)
3rd Down

David wrote:I can still remember my Dad taking me to Empire. My first vivid recollections were the 1970 and 1971 seasons. Paul Brothers, Don Moorhead, Jim Young, Jim Evenson, Ted Gerela, Lefty Hendrickson....

It's funny one's childhood recollections: the whistle of the traffic cop on Hastings directing foot traffic across a major road, the long string of transit buses along Hastings, the whiff of Export A cigarettes in the air, the Beefeaters marching around the track, the sun setting behind the mountains....and here's a strange one: our kicker Ken Phillips punting the ball a mile high in warm-ups; the ball spiralling higher than the Empire roof like it was shot from a bazuka.

Like Solar Max I really got into the Lions during that improbable 1977 odyssey in which we won game after game in the dying seconds. Kind of like last season but with a less talented group. Tagge was my hero. I would cry when we lost and later as a teenager would snap pencils in my bedroom. I've always taken this trust with the football club seriously. Even today.

Biggest regret? Being too young to see Kapp and Fleming play. :bawl:

DH 8)
"snap pencils ... in my bedroom" .... waaaaay too much info, pal! :)
3rd Down

Lyin' Guy wrote:I hae been going to Lions games and been a fan since 62. Born in 60, my Grandfather was an usher at the PNE and use to babysit me. Went to wrestling at the Forum/Agridome, hockey at the Forum, and of course football at Empire.

I have, as they say, see it all.

Lyin' Guy
:beer:
Hey Lyin' G ... remember those games at Empire that were held during the PNE ... they were awesome ....

...win your 'girlfriend a Cupee (sp?) doll' spending all your coin at tryin to knock over milk bottles ... take a couple of trips on the roller coaster ... head over to Empire ... and end up leaving the 'Cupee doll' under the seats in the endzone!!!

Kapp ... the bomb ... Fleming .... TD!
b_raunchy

#3rd Down...you are right indeed!

I got my years mixed up.

1992 was the 0-8 year when ownership discenigrated....1993 was the year Danny Barrett ran the offence well but couldn't manage in the red zone when we lost to Calgary in the west semi's.

Lo and Behold this site has quite the excellent history section. Kudos to whomever put that together. The 1990 game I am talking about that I watched in the old mans barber chair we lost 68-43 in Skydome. Them's a lot of points!!!
3rd Down

b_raunchy wrote:#3rd Down...you are right indeed!

I got my years mixed up.

1992 was the 0-8 year when ownership discenigrated....1993 was the year Danny Barrett ran the offence well but couldn't manage in the red zone when we lost to Calgary in the west semi's.

Lo and Behold this site has quite the excellent history section. Kudos to whomever put that together. The 1990 game I am talking about that I watched in the old mans barber chair we lost 68-43 in Skydome. Them's a lot of points!!!
kewl b_raunchy ... someone else beat us to a pulp in 1993 ... remember who

..are you in Vancr now ... or Garlic City ... come to our tailgates