Lions sign Christian Covington

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

OV:54-40 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 7:12 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 6:02 pm
This is a huge signing, and I’m not referring to Covington’s size and strength. As others have said, he and Stove Richardson can be difference-makers in the middle if they’re healthy and in game shape. Having national status as a local product from Vancouver College bolsters the CFL’s deepest national talent pool on the defensive side of the ball. I don’t know what it means for Cherry, Bemiy and draft pick Kail Dava, and especially American DLs in the rotation. Richardson, Robertson Teuhema and Banks will have to earn their time in the rotation.

I was quite surprised Dava fell way down to the 5th round where the Lions got him (big-time steal maybe?); thought he was arguably the best DT in this draft crop with the Div I resume and production; torn rotator cuff injury to recover from but hopefully that goes well.

If he has it, that would be potential great Canadian DT depth if he could team with Covington & Cherry. Hope Covington is still in great shape and revved up to play in the CFL> A couple of other ex-NFL Canuck DTs - Vaughn Martin & Stefan Charles - who did come back to play in the CFL were disappointments with not much playing time or production.
Dava's injury likely hurt his stock. He had surgery for a torn rotator cuff at the end of November. Recovery for that is anywhere from 6 to 9 months meaning at best he misses training camp but also may not be available until Labour Day or maybe longer. In light of that he's really a futures pick. Other teams may not been as willing to use an earlier pick on somebody they might not see until late in the season or maybe even next year.

Covington, Martin & Charles all return at roughly the same age. After that the similarities mostly stop.

Martin played 51 games over 5 years starting 27. However he only played 3 games in his final season then with Miami. He signed with Detroit in March 2014 but was released 3 months later, well before training camp opened. The following year 2015 he signed with KC but didn't make it past final cuts. He then signed with Montreal in Feb 2016, more than 2 years after he last played a game.

Charles played 49 games with 2 starts over 4 seasons from 2013-16. From 2017 until signing in Edmonton in mid-Sept 2019 he bounced through 3 NFL clubs but never made it past final cuts. He also had a 3 week cup of coffee in the short lived AAF. I can't find any info on whether he played in any of the 3 games San Antonio played between the day they signed him and the day they cut him. For all intents he didn't play from the end of the 2016 season and when he signed with Edmonton. He didn't play in any games for EE that year and lost the 2020 Covid season. He did sign in Ottawa playing 9 games in 2021, 5 years after his last action. He returned to Edmonton for 2022 but didn't make final cuts.

Covington comes with a lot less rust. He played 102 NFL games starting 32. His last game played was Nov 13, 2022. He did spend 2023 on the Chargers PS but didn't play.

What should separate Covington from the other two is a) he hasn't been away from the game at all, b) he's returning to play in his hometown where he grew up and played his HS football, c) he will no doubt want to make his CFHOF dad Grover proud. Where it might have been a challenge for Martin and Charles to re-stoke the fire in their bellies motivation should be no problem for Covington. Covington should also be in shape given he spent all last season on the LAC PS and no doubt was keeping in shape this offseason in case he was offered some workouts to try landing another NFL contract.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

David wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 7:28 pm
Just noticed tonight that Stove Richardson has been transferred to the Retired List. :sigh:

https://www.cfl.ca/transactions
2024-05-01 BC RICHARDSON, Steven DT A Minnesota TRF TO RETIRED

Perhaps this was the impetus to get Covington signed or just a coincidence? Maybe they asked him to take a pay cut? Who knows? But at least we have a lot of depth along the O-line.

DH :cool:
Damn that’s really too bad. Hoping he has found a new career rather than another or permanent setback with his Achilles.

Interesting to see on the Lions social media feed both Hatcher on Lee on the field earlier this week leading drills at a high school visit. Both looking good and mobile yet still 4 months away from playing if we are lucky.

As good of job as the Lions do with their podcasts avv no D the work of 3 Down Nation (especially during the draft) sure miss the work of Lowell Ullrich when the Province still had a fulltime beat writer.

Would love to know more about:

-Stove’s potential comeback and what apparently derailed it.

-Jack Hinsberger’s long road to recovery just to have normal use of his arm again. His Instagram journal is excellent and understand this is a tricky situation for the club with insurance and potential pending long term compensation. Also highlighting the potential dangers of the sport.

- Whatever happened with Woody Baron. All-star season then cut just prior to the free agency window opening and still unsigned. Like Lucky Whitehead and Janarion Grant just part of the 30 and over club deemed too expensive at this stage of their careers even with gas still left in the tank?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Wow! The Lions have also released David Menard. One step forward with the signing of Covington and two steps back with the release of Richardson and Menard. I suspect these moves are cap related.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 7:19 am
- Whatever happened with Woody Baron. All-star season then cut just prior to the free agency window opening and still unsigned. Like Lucky Whitehead and Janarion Grant just part of the 30 and over club deemed too expensive at this stage of their careers even with gas still left in the tank?
Those are just a few of a long list for which the same question can be asked. All likely have an unpalatable combination of age and salary wants:

Woody Baron
Lucky Whitehead
Janarion Grant
Shaq Richardson
Manny Arceneaux
A.C. Leonard
Ja'Gared Davis
Derel Walker
Duke Williams
Greg Ellingson
Landon Rice
Avery Williams
Shaq Evans
Kevin Francis
Abdul Kanneh
Alden Darby
Geoff Gray

Etcetera
OV:54-40
Starter

Have to think Menard's release was mostly about $aving$ ? Not like he was weak last year or is an old-timer now. Why not try to trade him back to Montreal - even for a late round draft pick? - mind u, he fled Moochacha and Montreal after being their best D player in a season. If this guy is not picked-up pronto by another CFL team - I don't get it.

Time for one or more of Joseph, Archibald, Bemiy to step-up and earn reps at DE in the rotation. I'll guess they are confident that Covington & Cherry can man one DT spot so that means one National - for ratio purposes - on the D all the time; Hladik at MLB, and maybe a safety could mean 2 more.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 12:23 pm
Wow! The Lions have also released David Menard. One step forward with the signing of Covington and two steps back with the release of Richardson and Menard. I suspect these moves are cap related.
Cap would be a big factor but I think overall the quantity and quality of talent across the DL is just as big.

As good as Menard has been he was making $147K + $444 for every game played last year. Presumably this year's contract called for that again. That's too much to be a 34 year old rotational DE this season. When I saw that in the salary reports last year I thought he might be a cap casualty this year but figured Betts' departure would buy him another year.

I think what we're seeing is a shift in the starting NAT DL starter deployment from DE to DT because that is where their best talent and depth resides and that was before Menard was released. Last year with Betts and Menard their top talent was on the end making that the best place to have a NAT starter. This year that wasn't going to be the case. With Covington entering the mix their best quality and deepest NAT DL talent is now in the interior of the DL with Covington, Cherry and Bemiy. Joseph seems to be of enough size where he could play inside or outside.

24 hours ago BC had 11 vets plus Joseph competing for 8 spots in the rotation. Now they're down to 10 including Joseph plus the 5 newcomers on the roster. Something was going to have to give. Unfortunately as the highest paid BC DL and elder statesman by nearly 3 years over Robertson and 9 over the likes of Cherry and Bemiy Menard was a logical, albeit very difficult, choice.

With Richardson and Menard out of the mix things are shaping up to having the starters being Tuehema and Robertson on the ends with Banks and Covington in the middle leaving Siddiqi, Debaillie, Cherry, Bemiy, Moore and Joseph to battle for the 4 rotational spots, That's still 10 for 8 spots and who knows what they might discover amongst the other 5 prospects they signed so far. I think Siddiqi likely backs up Tuehema as he did last year. Debaillie as their best Global and a very capable tackle wins by acclimation unless Meyer (if he signs) can steal the punting job from Flintoft. I think Cherry is a lock for one backup tackle spot leaving Bemiy, Joseph and Moore to battle for the last spot.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Neil McEvoy admitted to J.J. Adams today that Menard was a cap casualty due to the signing of Covington.

He said Stove Richardson approached the Lions about a month ago and said he didn’t think he was ready to return, so he retired “for now.” It sounds like the door is still open to him, as well as to Woody Baron if the Lions have a need during the season and he’s still available.

Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 3:14 pm
Neil McEvoy admitted to J.J. Adams today that Menard was a cap casualty due to the signing of Covington.

He said Stove Richardson approached the Lions about a month ago and said he didn’t think he was ready to return, so he retired “for now.” It sounds like the door is still open to him, as well as to Woody Baron if the Lions have a need during the season and he’s still available.

I felt pretty good about the Covington signing. After listening to Neil about how it all came about I feel that much better.
OV:54-40
Starter

A bit of salary cap $avings on a real good, tough D-lineman in a GC hosting season? - hmmm, interesting.

Be also interesting to know what type of coin Covington got.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

During an interview with Donny and Dhali, Covington said his weight ranged between 305 and 315 in recent years in the NFL. He said he trimmed down to 280 to prepare for the speed of the Canadian game.
don corleone
All Star

Seeing $300,000 mentioned but can't see it as being realistic.

Could see it being a popular jersey though.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

don corleone wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 8:24 am
Seeing $300,000 mentioned but can't see it as being realistic.

Could see it being a popular jersey though.
According to Farhan they had an offer on the table of $270,000 for Betts so have to think that money has gone to Covington instead and they still needed to dump Menard's $150,000 salary.

Speaking of jerseys, Lions need to up their game in the merchandise department when the only two ready made jerseys available are VA and Lucky Whitehead. How about rising stars with fresh deals Cottoy, Hladik, Hollins, Hatcher and of course the newly signed homegrown star,
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I like the Covington signing and unlike Brett Boyko mentioned earlier this guy is excited to be coming to BC and the CFL.
I don't know Boyko but it struck me that he really just wanted to be in the NFL.

Feel bad for Menard as it's not a talent or age issue.
Ratio-breaking defensive end Mathieu Betts, the CFL’s reigning Most Outstanding Defensive Player, will not be back after signing with the Detroit Lions and other veteran contributors like Woody Baron and David Menard had to be let go as salary cap casualties.
“It worked out exactly as we thought it would,” McEvoy laughed, tongue firmly in cheek. “We lost a Canadian defensive lineman and we were able to bring in another one.”
There will be increased pressure on third-years Sione Teuhema and Nathan Cherry, as well as new additions like Pete Robertson and Daniel Joseph in 2024. Some consider the young defensive line to be a major question mark for the team, though neither McEvoy nor Campbell expects a step back in their production.
https://3downnation.com/2024/05/04/doin ... b-c-lions/
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy