Shea Patterson?!?!?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

cms22
Starter

I had my first peek at the Lions training camp roster today.

had a "I spit out my coffee" moment when I saw Shea Patterson listed at QB.... this was in a GOOD WAY. often these moments are negative

as background,

Shea was the #1 QB recruit in the USA in 2016 for all 4 major recruiting services.

went to ole miss. played some..... transferred to Michigan and Harbaugh offence. 2nd highest single season passing totals in Wolverine history (although Michigan's overall performance during Shea's time was disappointing. and football is so pass-happy these days that many teams are setting single season passing records)

2 last things,

1) pretty sure there were NFL mock drafts with Shea at #1 overall.... of course, current 2023 NFL mock drafts are basically rivals 100 recruiting lists from a year ago with a special emphasis on QB's... but still #1 overall is something

2) Shea seems to have spent one year on KC taxi squad.. working with Patrick Mahomes and Andy Reid can't hurt.

anyone have color on Shea's time with Lions so far? thx advance :)
cms22
Starter

my bad... Shea signed with KC and was cut during first training camp. no taxi squad.

I see devin gardner (sp?), former Michigan QB, is/was pretty critical of Shea as QB decision making/execution.....

still, very interesting prospect.. I am going to check his rushing totals. I think he was #1 high school recruit as dual-threat QB (and pocket passer.. depending on recruiting service), so I presume he can run really well..... EDIT: very few rushing attempts/yards at ole miss/michigan
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Patterson has been on the Lions neg list since at least his junior college season. He did play a bit in The Spring League.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I've made lots of comments about Patterson, both good and bad, in the training camp thread. He has performed at his best in the two camp scrimmages, which perhaps speaks to his big game experience at Michigan. Coach Rick Campbell was complimentary of his development today and said the Lions definitely plan to keep him around "in some form." Unless he develops a mysterious injury on cutdown day, he may have to accept a spot on the practice roster. Campbell has already stated that Michael Reilly and Nathan Rourke will go into the regular season as Nos. 1 and 2.
https://www.bclions.com/2021/07/26/trai ... -campbell/
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

According to a Lions tweet I just saw on Elksherd forum Patterson has been released and replaced by former LSU QB and NE Patriot draft pick Danny Etling.

Etling was a 7th rd pick by the Pats in 2018. At one point they tried to convert the 6'3 220# Etling to a receiver. He has since bounced around getting cups of coffee with Atlanta, where he did suit up for 1 game as backup QB, Seattle and most recently Minnesota.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Correct. Matt Baker posted this to bclions.com:

LIONS SIGN FORMER NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS DRAFT PICK DANNY ETLING
cromartie
Hall of Famer

The next defense Patterson is successfully able to read will be his first.

Nothing to see here, move on. And the Lions have.