QB question

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

bcbill1
Rookie

I have a question for some of you fellow older timers :wink:
At the same time the Lions signed Roy Dewalt, they also signed another college hot shot QB. At the time, it was considered a toss up which guy was going to make an impact on the Lion's roster. Does anybody remember the other QB's name?
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Might have been John Forcade out of Ole Miss or Tim Cowan from U of Washington you're thinking of but they came along a bit later. In Dewalt's rookie year 1980 they had incumbent Joe Paopao and Mike Nott. In 81 Nott was gone and it was just Paopao and Dewalt. Fourcade suited up for some games in 82 behind Dewalt and Paopao. Come 83 Paopao was still Dewalt's backup but Fourcade was gone and rookie Cowan had entered the scene. That would be the "Throwin' Samoan's" last year in orange other than as a coach and a late career cameo in 1990. In 84 it was Dewalt and Cowan.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
bcbill1
Rookie

Thanks Hambone. I believe I found my answer. I' m pretty sure the player I was thinking of was Harold Bailey, the 9th round pick of the Houston Oilers. He may have just been a target of the Lions. Boy, I'm so confused :dizzy:
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

bcbill1 wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:13 pm
Thanks Hambone. I believe I found my answer. I' m pretty sure the player I was thinking of was Harold Bailey, the 9th round pick of the Houston Oilers. He may have just been a target of the Lions. Boy, I'm so confused :dizzy:
That's possible. Bailey did play for Houston in 81 & 82. He may have started out as a QB there in 81 but they converted him to WR for his second season. He played 11 games in 81 with no stats whatsoever. They used 3 other QBs in 81. Kenny "Snake" Stabler was their starter. Bailey played 9 games in 82 with 26 catches and 1 rush. He did have a 6 game cup of coffee with Montreal in 1984 as a receiver where he had 17 catches. That's it for his pro career.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.