Training camp 2021

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

B.C. FAN, if you get any hassles from security just tell them that you are a reporter, on assignment from Lionbackers.com ... and you won't be lying.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

DanoT wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:49 pm
B.C. FAN, if you get any hassles from security just tell them that you are a reporter, on assignment from Lionbackers.com ... and you won't be lying.
Great notion, purrfect comment, DanoT! Amen to that!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I see the Lions have noticed the temperatures in Kamloops (mid-40s C last week, mid-30s this week) and have rescheduled all training camp practices for the morning or evening, avoiding the hot afternoon sun. Evenings are still hot but the sun shouldn't be as bad.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

One more week to go !
Reg18
Starter

Yea!ihope that forest fire smoke doesn't become a factor.. Intense physical activity and sucking smoke isnt a recipe for success.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Reg18 wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:11 am
Yea!ihope that forest fire smoke doesn't become a factor.. Intense physical activity and sucking smoke isnt a recipe for success.
Good point. There is usually a breeze up on the hill at TRU. Hopefully that will keep the air clear enough because certainly those fires around Kamloops will not be dying off any time soon. The two main fires in the Kamloops are both west. Sparks Lake is west by northwest and Durand Lake is slightly south of being due west. Looks like they'll have some winds out of the northwest then north for the first 2 days which may push some smoke in. Then winds will switch to southerly for the next 4 days leading into the 1st scrimmage.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It’s been smoky in Kamloops since Thursday. The last two summers weren’t smoky but the two summers before were bad. There has been almost no rain here this year, and we just had a week of temperatures above 45 C. Smoke and fires are inevitable.
BC 1988
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:35 am
It’s been smoky in Kamloops since Thursday. The last two summers weren’t smoky but the two summers before were bad. There has been almost no rain here this year, and we just had a week of temperatures above 45 C. Smoke and fires are inevitable.
That's the unfortunate thing--in the bad smoke years, the Lions were up there at their regular time and gone before all the smoke issues happened.
https://weather.gc.ca/airquality/pages/bcaq-007_e.html
This will be a real test--an early start to the fire season, and training camp in July. If the Air Quality Index goes to 10+ and stays there, training camp outdoor activity will be in jeopardy.

As Hambone says, location on a hill may offer better conditions than where the weather station is located.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have released a numerical training camp position chart that's even less informative than the ones of past years. Instead of listing players by position such strong and weakside linebackers, boundary and field corner, etc., they've just listed all receivers, offensive and defensive linemen, linebackers and defensive backs by position group. I hope the quality of official information improves when camp starts on Sunday.
https://d3ham790trbkqy.cloudfront.net/w ... -Chart.pdf

I count 97 players on the roster after recent retirements and suspensions. I've read that active rosters for this year will be 44 players, and that practice rosters will be expanded by 5 players as long as border restrictions remain in place.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Two guys that I am glad to see back with the Lions: Bo Lokombo and Chris Rainy
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Riders got hammered today as they lost starting MLB Larry Dean, likely starting DL Freddie Bishop, top draft pick Nelaon Lokombo and a receiver I'd never heard of to serious Achilles injuries. All were simply working out to prep for camp. No idea what they were doing but definitely Campbell and McEvoy expressed a need to rein the guys in early in camp to avoid injury due to unbridled enthusiasm.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:57 pm
The Lions have released a numerical training camp position chart that's even less informative than the ones of past years. Instead of listing players by position such strong and weakside linebackers, boundary and field corner, etc., they've just listed all receivers, offensive and defensive linemen, linebackers and defensive backs by position group. I hope the quality of official information improves when camp starts on Sunday.
https://d3ham790trbkqy.cloudfront.net/w ... -Chart.pdf

I count 97 players on the roster after recent retirements and suspensions. I've read that active rosters for this year will be 44 players, and that practice rosters will be expanded by 5 players as long as border restrictions remain in place.
B.C.FAN, I don't know if this is exactly what you were looking for, but a depth chart for the 2021 campaign can be found here.
https://www.cfl.ca/2021/06/16/qb-fortre ... reilly-21/

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:58 pm
B.C.FAN, I don't know if this is exactly what you were looking for, but a depth chart for the 2021 campaign can be found here.
https://www.cfl.ca/2021/06/16/qb-fortre ... reilly-21/

DH :cool:
I saw that one but it's not from the team. You and I could come up with similar speculation. That was also compiled before Jevon Cottoy opted back into his contract. Most starting positions look pretty solid. The main battles that I plan to watch are at middle linebacker (Jordan Williams, Dyshawn Davis or Adam Konar), field WR and fifth receiver (Shaq Johnson, Lucky Whitehead and Jevon Cottoy competing for two prime spots in the rotation) and defensive tackle (a lot of players with no CFL experience competing for two positions).
KnightofCydonia
Starter

I'm guessing the long period of time since last season has meant players aren't as in shape for training camp as in typical seasons. That can lead to a higher chance of injury.

I hope the Lions stay safe - from injury, but also the heat and smoke!
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

I'm keenly interested (and a bit concerned) regards the team filling the safety position in the aftermath of Kenny Ladler's recent retirement a couple weeks ago. Also am intrigued by what will come of the new faces (all Lions rookies--and I think CFL rookies) in the place-kicking/punting department.