Training camp 2021

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Reg18
Starter

I could see that coming unless Arndt had an exceptional camp we had no room for him. We will have 2 very good young Qbs to back up Reilly. Hopefully that's it for the drama for a while. A tough day for a lot of young men.
Reg18
Starter

The remaining question marks will be in the Dline and Lbs. A lot to get done there. Ithink we have some good talent to work with but some good ones may have to go
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Reg18 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:34 am
The remaining question marks will be in the Dline and Lbs. A lot to get done there. Ithink we have some good talent to work with but some good ones may have to go
I don't think there is much question when it comes to LBs. It will be Lokombo, Williams and Cioffi starting with the remaining 4 of Guzylak-Messam, Hladik, Konar and Davis providing backup support while contributing on special teams. As for the DL it's the interior of the DL which seems to still carry the biggest unknowns.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions had a good day on the field Monday. Quarterback Michael Reilly and receivers Bryan Burnham and Lemar Durant were back in action on the first-team offence. DB T.J. Lee was the only regular starter still sidelined.

The offence was much more crisp with three key starters in the lineup, and Reilly showed no ill effects from his shoulder injury as he threw some crisp, short passes. He did not throw anything deep, however, and gave way to Nathan Rourke for some first-team reps as the Lions obviously kept him from taking too many reps on his first day throwing the ball. None of the three QBs completed any deep balls. Rourke threw two good looking bombs but one pass on a post pattern by Lemar Durant was broken up by new first-team DB Kiante Hardin. Second-team WR Alex Wesley was hauled down early on the other attempt. Jevon Cottoy produced the biggest gain when he caught a ball on a broken-play checkdown by Rourke and found an open seam down the field. Shaq Johnson and Lucky Whitehead made several good catches. Whitehead and fellow free agent WR Dominique Rhymes were Reilly's favourite targets.

Running back James Butler, who has looked fast and powerful in camp, took a few first-team reps from Shaq Cooper but the first-team offensive lineup was otherwise unchanged, with David Mackie at fullback, Durant, Burnham, Whitehead, Johnson and Rhymes as receivers, Joel Figueroa and Ryker Mathews at tackle, Hunter Steward and Sukh Chungh at guard and Peter Godber at centre.

On defence, the regular front 7 was intact with J.R. Tavai and Obum Gwacham at ends, Ufomba Kamalu and Josh Banks at tackles, Jordan X. Williams at middle linebacker, Bo Lokombo at WILL and Anthony Cioffi at SAM. The Lions have shaken up the secondary again. Garry Peters has remained at boundary corner throughout camp but Bejour Wilson continued to fill in for Lee at boundary halfback, with Marcus Sayles at safety, impressive rookie Hardin at Sayles' old field halfback spot and Victor Gamboa back at field corner after being replaced by Jalon Edwards-Cooper last week. Peters had an impressive day, with tight coverage and a knockdown on a dig route by Rhymes. Free-agent defensive end Chris Casher has been relegated to the second team. Rookie Ben Hladik took second team reps at middle linebacker with Adam Konar at WILL. I haven't seen much of Isaiah Guzylak-Messam in camp.

Takeru Yamasaki missed a couple of field goals wide left but continued to pound the ball. Jake Ford and Stefan Flintoft again split punting duties. Ford hits some good looking punts but then often follows with a couple of fluttering ducks.

Chris Rainey and Lucky Whitehead split kick and punt returns and both looked dangerous.

I spent about 15 or 20 minutes chatting with team president Rick LeLacheur at the start of practice when we were the only people in the grandstand. He is always a delight to talk to. He’s optimistic about the team on the field, especially with the size and speed that has been added at receiver and D-line. He said David Braley’s estate has been very supportive of everything he has done. He said the team has been selling new tickets but still expects that about 30% of season ticketholder credits will extend to next season, suggesting it will take a while for ticket revenue to rebound. LeLacheur also lauded the training camp facilities in Kamloops. The Lions’ agreement with the City of Kamloops, which pays the team to train here, expires this year. It is difficult to lure fans and media from the Lower Mainland to camp in Kamloops but radio play-by-play broadcasters Giulio Caravatta and Bob Marjanovich were expected there today. LeLacheur said the club formed its own radio network this year and is still working at getting radio partners in Prince George and northern B.C.
BC 1988
Legend

Great news. Thanks B.C.FAN. Maybe they will have a decent lineup take the field vs. SSK on Aug 6th. Sounds like the PK position will be one of the hardest to decide with no incumbent/obvious frontrunner.

Also good to hear Campbell isn't too attached to his familiar options.

With a AQHI of 3 during the practice can't expect much better than that.

Also interesting the comments of LeLacheur. Do you think the 30% of ST credits extending to next year would be because people don't yet feel comfortable going back yet (post-COVID)?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

BC 1988 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:26 pm
Great news. Thanks B.C.FAN. Maybe they will have a decent lineup take the field vs. SSK on Aug 6th. Sounds like the PK position will be one of the hardest to decide with no incumbent/obvious frontrunner.

Also good to hear Campbell isn't too attached to his familiar options.

With a AQHI of 3 during the practice can't expect much better than that.

Also interesting the comments of LeLacheur. Do you think the 30% of ST credits extending to next year would be because people don't yet feel comfortable going back yet (post-COVID)?
No, that's just the fact there are only 7 home games this year instead of the usual 10, including preseason. The club has offered season ticketholders other ways to spend their credits, including special jerseys or weekly Zoom game breakdowns with Rick Campbell, but I told him I'm mainly interested in applying my credits to game tickets, and I don't think I'm alone.
BC 1988
Legend

That's what I thought--I recall Hambone said that as well. Flipping it over, that means 70% of ST decided to burn up all of their credit this season--I would guess on extra tickets if not on merch. There won't be any new jerseys (what is the "special" jerseys?) to tempt fans this year (I saw a similar discussion over on RF about this).
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Terrific report as always BC FAN. Great to hear Reilly is back on the field as the team seems to now be getting down to serious business with the season opener in Saskatchewan looming.

Shows how accurate your earlier reports were on Arndt's struggles, leading to his release. I wish him well, however, it was refreshing to see Campbell not give him the benefit of the doubt because his familiarity with him in Ottawa. I honestly thought he was a near certainty to make the roster, regardless of how he performed.
And it sure seemed like Campbell gave him an ample opportunity to lockdown the back-up spot based on the reps throughout training camp.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:26 pm
Speaking for myself the offerings for the credits didn't really float my boat. It's not that they aren't very nice and no doubt welcome and appreciated options for many ST holders. I'm just not much into jerseys or autographs and not interested in the dinner with the coach or the Zoom thing breaking down the past game. The only non-game worn jersey I own is the one in my avatar that I bought back in the mid 80s. I only break it out for the 5 or 6 days I'm at Grey Cup. The replica orange jersey given to ST holders for early renewal a few years ago is now proudly hanging off a wall in Friends Diner in Mazatlan. They were broken while closed due to Covid in the fall of 2020 with many of the sports jerseys and other memorabilia being stolen. So I donated it and a couple other Lions things to them when I was down there this past winter. They needed some orange to offset the f'n Rider stuff that is too prevalent there. :wink: That all left me with either the Lions Store GC or rolling the credit over as the only options for consideration.
BC 1988
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:54 pm
Speaking for myself the offerings for the credits didn't really float my boat. It's not that they aren't very nice and no doubt welcome and appreciated options for many ST holders. I'm just not much into jerseys or autographs and not interested in the dinner with the coach or the Zoom thing breaking down the past game. The only non-game worn jersey I own is the one in my avatar that I bought back in the mid 80s. I only break it out for the 5 or 6 days I'm at Grey Cup. The replica orange jersey given to ST holders for early renewal a few years ago is now proudly hanging off a wall in Friends Diner in Mazatlan. They were broken while closed due to Covid in the fall of 2020 with many of the sports jerseys and other memorabilia being stolen. So I donated it and a couple other Lions things to them when I was down there this past winter. They needed some orange to offset the f'n Rider stuff that is too prevalent there. :wink: That all left me with either the Lions Store GC or rolling the credit over as the only options for consideration.
lol. I can imagine. RF are everywhere. (Long after the CFL is gone, there will be Rider paraphernalia around. )
Hambone
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:15 pm
lol. I can imagine. RF are everywhere. (Long after the CFL is gone, there will be Rider paraphernalia around. )
Yup. There is usually a Riderville party at Friends (owned by 2 ladies from Medicine Hat) every year in February I believe. I miss it as I typically come back north towards end of January. This year though since Grey Cup is bumped to Dec 12th I'm planning on heading down immediately post GC. I won't be returning until maybe 1st weekend in March so I can experience Carnival. I'll have to take it in if it happens while I'm there. I can be the orange rose in the middle of a patch of green thistles. :wink:
KnightofCydonia
Starter

Campbell announced that Rourke will be the #2 QB behind Reilly via video conference earlier today.

Congrats, Nathan!

Nice to see a promising young quarterback, and a BC boy to boot.
Reg18
Starter

Yea! Good news! I expect him to keep progressing and be a success. His skills are built for the cfl. Good runner and passer. Always been a winner.. I hope his success will put more bums in seats..
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

From the Lions website: "All that remains to be done now is to trim the roster by about four or five more by Friday evening. 45 players will make up the active roster this season.

In addition, 12 players will be offered practice roster spots while an additional five will be on a ‘reserve squad’ that will practice with the team while also eligible to be claimed by another CFL club".

This is a new to me roster size and practice roster make-up. It will be interesting to see who makes the 12 PR and 5 RS. Injuries and positional depth could influence and result in shuffling players between the 2 practice squads as a season progresses. Also the ability to cherry pick another teams RS. Very interesting.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:58 pm
From the Lions website: "All that remains to be done now is to trim the roster by about four or five more by Friday evening. 45 players will make up the active roster this season.

In addition, 12 players will be offered practice roster spots while an additional five will be on a ‘reserve squad’ that will practice with the team while also eligible to be claimed by another CFL club".

This is a new to me roster size and practice roster make-up. It will be interesting to see who makes the 12 PR and 5 RS. Injuries and positional depth could influence and result in shuffling players between the 2 practice squads as a season progresses. Also the ability to cherry pick another teams RS. Very interesting.
Yes, that was a new explanation to me. I had just heard that practice rosters were being expanded by 5 players this year. The 12 regular practice roster spots are only available if 2 of those players are globals. If the 2 global kickers make the main roster, the only remaining global player who might be eligible for the practice roster is DL Nik Gustav, who has been getting reps on special teams.