Training camp 2021

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:23 pm
Awesome report again, B.C.FAN. Thank you.

Didn't know much about Bofshever. Had to look him up but it looks like he had a decent day.

I don't know that anyone will overtake Arndt on the depth chart (initially) but I don't have a lot of confidence in him as a #2 (or #1 - depending on Reilly's status). Seems like he has thrown a lot of picks.

It would appear that Rourke shows great upside. Michigan's Shea Patterson is showing well but at times is indecisive (as expected for a CFL rookie). I suspect neither is playing against our #1 defense. Footage of today's scrimmage here.

DH :cool:
Thanks for that link, David. Here are two other scrimmage videos posted to Facebook by Matt Baker of the Lions. The first shows Rourke leading the opening touchdown drive of the day. I'm not sure how far Rick Campbell's loyalty to Will Arndt extends but to me Rourke has clearly established himself as the best of the three quarterbacks vying for what is expected to be one roster position behind Michael Reilly, and he's improving every day. If a second quarterback is kept on the practice roster, I would give that spot to Patterson based on his upside and experience under pressure. I've seen Arndt miss too many open receivers in camp and throw interceptions at clutch times.

https://fb.watch/6YcChnrV1y/

https://fb.watch/6YcDEhB0S8/
David
Team Captain

Thanks for that, B.C. FAN. Yea, Arndt never really impressed me in Ottawa. Not sure why Campbell brought him over. The only thing he represents right now is a bit of CFL experience and familiarity for Campbell. This may be enough comfort to win him a spot. But based on play, yes, I am obviously not there but it would appear Rourke and even Patterson have outplayed him and represent a far greater upside.

The big question mark in all of this is Reilly's health. Any scuttlebutt?

Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Everything I've heard about Reilly reflects the official line that he's just resting a sore shoulder and will be back in action by the end of this week. He wasn't. He threw a few crisp 10-yard passes to Bryan Burnham on the sideline Friday. I saw him throw a 20-yarder today before the scrimmage. That's the most he's thrown. Travis Lulay did a lot more light throwing in the 2014 camp, and we were told not to worry, he was just being brought along slowly. He dressed for only four games that year.
David
Team Captain

Being the intense guy Reilly is and the desire to prove his leadership after a long layoff (and likely dedicate the season to his late mother), I can see him really pushing himself in training. It may have been a case of too much, too soon.

BLM is also dealing with an injury (groin) which I would much rather Reilly be experiencing than throwing shoulder. This (upcoming) week is going to tell us a lot.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I will echo BCF's assessment on the QBs. Rourke definitely looked the sharpest of the 3 this morning, by far really.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Hambone wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:19 pm
I will echo BCF's assessment on the QBs. Rourke definitely looked the sharpest of the 3 this morning, by far really.
I guess the question that remains is what does coach Campbell see when he looks at he QBs? Is he strongly committed to Arndt, the former REDBLACK that he is most familiar with or Rourke, the rookie with the top notch resume who is out performing other QBs?

And we could be talking about an early season starting QB here because with Reilly still not practicing and only a dozen days until the season start, you have to wonder how long it will take a 36 y.o. player to heal from a throwing shoulder injury.

Assuming that Reilly can't start, I predict that Campbell will go with the more experienced Arndt to start and let Rourke gain knowledge from the sidelines and then only go in if Arndt fails badly.
BC 1988
Legend

DanoT wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:54 am
And we could be talking about an early season starting QB here because with Reilly still not practicing and only a dozen days until the season start, you have to wonder how long it will take a 36 y.o. player to heal from a throwing shoulder injury.

Assuming that Reilly can't start, I predict that Campbell will go with the more experienced Arndt to start and let Rourke gain knowledge from the sidelines and then only go in if Arndt fails badly.
Exactly--I hope this Reilly mess continues at least long enough for the Lions to be forced to go into the season with #2 and #3 QBs. It would be very short sighted to cut Rourke without even seeing him in one actual game.
David
Team Captain

BC 1988 wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:44 am
DanoT wrote:

Exactly--I hope this Reilly mess continues at least long enough for the Lions to be forced to go into the season with #2 and #3 QBs. It would be very short-sighted to cut Rourke without even seeing him in one actual game.
No, I believe Rourke is a lock to make the roster. I believe they drafted a quarterback, not a Canadian who can play quarterback. But if they ever lost faith in him as a QB (doubtful) they could always convert him a la Brad Sinopoli who was a CIS quarterback (Ottawa Gee Gees), then a stud CFL receiver. Rourke, incidentally, tried out as a receiver with the NFL's NY Giants.

Just waiting on more cuts that will come later today (possibly tomorrow morning)...

Roar, You Lions, Roar
OV - 54:40
Champion

David wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:19 am
BC 1988 wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:44 am
DanoT wrote:

Exactly--I hope this Reilly mess continues at least long enough for the Lions to be forced to go into the season with #2 and #3 QBs. It would be very short-sighted to cut Rourke without even seeing him in one actual game.
No, I believe Rourke is a lock to make the roster. I believe they drafted a quarterback, not a Canadian who can play quarterback. But if they ever lost faith in him as a QB (doubtful) they could always convert him a la Brad Sinopoli who was a CIS quarterback (Ottawa Gee Gees), then a stud CFL receiver. Rourke, incidentally, tried out as a receiver with the NFL's NY Giants.

Just waiting on more cuts that will come later today (possibly tomorrow morning)...

The chance of Rourke making a very successful transition to receiver like Sinopoli did are slim to none IMO - Sinopoli made one of the greatest position switches in pro football history into a multi year 1000 yard receiver; but you never know i guess ? Rourke should be an outstanding CFL QB prospect even just based on his superb QB running/scambling skills and his passing arm is good and could get better

And which Jordan Williams - the Canadian or import guy - are you guys referring to - as i'm confused there? - is Williams the National lining-up as a maybe starting MLB ?
Reg18
Starter

Sorry about typos a stroke a android tablet that just wont let me edit. And big finger small keyboard. A long time rider and lion season ticket holder. And yes I had the pleasure of hanging out with a neighbour who was a hof rider soi got to o a couple of after game parties at George Reeds house. Where I met with Rick's mom and dad. .
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Reg18 wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:01 pm
Sorry about typos a stroke a android tablet that just wont let me edit. And big finger small keyboard. A long time rider and lion season ticket holder. And yes I had the pleasure of hanging out with a neighbour who was a hof rider soi got to o a couple of after game parties at George Reeds house. Where I met with Rick's mom and dad. .
I enjoy your positivity Reg18 -- your typically short upbeat comments are not difficult to decipher. You're obviously a great fan of our league. Thumbs up!
Reg18
Starter

I used to be a very fast keyboarder but my stroke took away my left hand and arm and withmit my typing speed so its now seek and find with one finger
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Good for you for persisting despite the serious challenge. Inspiring! (I hope our Lions have the same attitude throughout this coming season).
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have released 18 players, including QB Will Arndt.
QB William Arndt (A)
RB Reggie Corbin (A)
WR Jamal Custis (A)
WR Keyston Fuller (A)
DB Jeff Hector (A)
DE Trevon Hill (A)
LB Damian Jamieson (N)
WR Johnathon Johnson (A)
FB Kayden Johnson (A)
DB Austin Joyner (A)
DB Jermaine Kelly Jr. (A)
DL Cam Kitchen (A)
DB Matt McConnell (N)
OL Marcus Norman (A)
OL Phillip Norman (A)
WR Jimmie Robinson Jr. (A)
WR Jesse Walker (N)
LB Jordan M. Williams (A)
Arndt's release was surprising only in that it shows that Rick Campbell wasn't swayed by loyalty to his free-agent signing from Ottawa. Of the other names, Phil Norman was the most surpising. He is a versatile lineman who was first up whenever a starter was out. That seems to signal that the Lions are confident in their nationals, including David Knevel, Matt Guevremont and Andrew Peirson.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:07 am

Arndt's release was surprising only in that it shows that Rick Campbell wasn't swayed by loyalty to his free-agent signing from Ottawa. Of the other names, Phil Norman was the most surpising. He is a versatile lineman who was first up whenever a starter was out. That seems to signal that the Lions are confident in their nationals, including David Knevel, Matt Guevremont and Andrew Peirson.
I got wind of Arndt's pending release last night. Bad news for him but good news for the Lions and Lionbackers for one big reason. This tells me that Reilly will be good to go for week 1 and is likely on the field fully participating this morning. They wouldn't have released Arndt this morning without being 100% confident Reilly will be good. No way they would have put themselves into a spot of starting the season with only Rourke and Patterson to play QB.

Reilly's time on the sidelines along with Burnham and Durant may well have been as much about giving the 3 other QBs and some receivers as many reps as possible to help with decision making as it was any injury concerns. The first 2 weeks of camp were mostly about getting in shape and allowing the unknowns of the camp roster to compete for their places on the roster. This week with be 90% preparation for the season opener and 10% sorting out starters vs backups.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.