Training camp 2021

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have released OL Tyler Packer, their sixth round draft pick out of Calgary.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Reg18 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:21 pm
With the news today about the move back to Surrey it looks toi me that we are ahead of schedfule and preparing to move to an in seasdon work out process. Im also thinking that theyhave cut the roster already to what they will look like starting the year. They haven't announced many more cuts but I believe that they have enough information to proceed. Those that report to Surrey will be our team with the odd move as necessary to meet league cutdowns. . they are taking the rider game very seriously. Im feeling very positive! Given last year's performance I think our team will be playing with a chip on their shoulders. It may be a statement game. Hopefully we play a smart physical game. If they have the single game betting working I will be betting on the Lions.
Where the Lions are this morning for numbers it will be mostly a matter of determining who gets a PR spot and who makes the 44. I believe 17 is the number they can keep on the PR to start the season. With Packer being released they are at 64 so only have to cut that back by 3. All 64 might stick if there are 3 injured enough to go on the 1G or 6G. Unlike other teams BC was pretty much unscathed when it comes to camp injuries.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

PR announced. Packer is going back to U of C to play one more year. I'm showing them now with 47 on the roster plus 16 on the PR. I suspect there are 3 on the roster who will move to the injured list once they submit their game roster for the season opener.

Add to practice roster:

WR Jake Bofshever (A), Long Island University
OL Jarrell Broxton, (A), Baylor
DB Jalon Edwards- Cooper (A), Texas A&M Commerce
K/P Stefan Flintoft (A), UCLA
DL Alfred Green (N), Wilfrid Laurier
OL Matt Guevremont (N), Indiana of PA
DL Niklas Gustav (G), Morningside College
DB Jamie Harry (N), Ottawa
WR Cordell Hastings (N), Acadia
DB Hakeem Johnson (N), Western
DL Dana Levine Jr. (A), Temple
QB Shea Patterson (A), Michigan
DB Nydair Rouse (A), West Chester
DL Kevin Thurmon (A), Arkansas State
WR Alex Wesley (A), Northern Colorado
DB Bejour Wilson (A), Liberty

Release from roster:

DB Tyvis Powell (A), Ohio State

The club also announced OL Tyler Packer (N) will return to the University of Calgary to play in the 2021 U Sports Season.

https://www.bclions.com/2021/07/30/lion ... y-july-30/
Reg18
Starter

It should be a quiet week as we prepare for sask.
Reg18
Starter

Ive been out of touch and missed something. Who h been taking first team reps at safety? i thought Powell had won that position and see that he was just released.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Reg18 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:37 pm
Ive been out of touch and missed something. Who h been taking first team reps at safety? i thought Powell had won that position and see that he was just released.
It looks like free agent signing, Marcus Sayles will be the Lions Free Safety.
https://www.bclions.com/players/marcus-sayles/163412/
A very good resume even if he is kinda small at 5'9" and I don't know if the CFL Western All Star nod from 2019 was at FS or ??
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:09 pm
Reg18 wrote:
A very good resume even if he is kinda small at 5'9" and I don't know if the CFL Western All Star nod from 2019 was at FS or ??
Yes, Sayles took over the position from Powell about a week and a half into camp. I think that's a good fit for his skill set. I look forward to watching him make interceptions.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:09 pm
Reg18 wrote:
Sayles got the nod for DHB. As for size he's basically a clone of Barron Miles who rode his 5'9" frame all the way to the Hall of Fame.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:28 pm
PR announced. Packer is going back to U of C to play one more year. I'm showing them now with 47 on the roster plus 16 on the PR. I suspect there are 3 on the roster who will move to the injured list once they submit their game roster for the season opener.

Add to practice roster:

WR Jake Bofshever (A), Long Island University
OL Jarrell Broxton, (A), Baylor
DB Jalon Edwards- Cooper (A), Texas A&M Commerce
K/P Stefan Flintoft (A), UCLA
DL Alfred Green (N), Wilfrid Laurier
OL Matt Guevremont (N), Indiana of PA
DL Niklas Gustav (G), Morningside College
DB Jamie Harry (N), Ottawa
WR Cordell Hastings (N), Acadia
DB Hakeem Johnson (N), Western
DL Dana Levine Jr. (A), Temple
QB Shea Patterson (A), Michigan
DB Nydair Rouse (A), West Chester
DL Kevin Thurmon (A), Arkansas State
WR Alex Wesley (A), Northern Colorado
DB Bejour Wilson (A), Liberty

Release from roster:

DB Tyvis Powell (A), Ohio State

The club also announced OL Tyler Packer (N) will return to the University of Calgary to play in the 2021 U Sports Season.

https://www.bclions.com/2021/07/30/lion ... y-july-30/
As best as I can determine, that leaves 15 rookies still on the roster, with several more moves needed.

DEFENCE
KiAnte Hardin at DB
Jordan X. Williams and Ben Hladik at linebacker
Obum Gwacham, Tim Bonner and Ade Aruna as defensive ends
Ufomba Kamalu, Josh Banks and Court Hammond at defensive tackle

OFFENCE
Kent Perkins at OL
Nathan Rourke at QB
James Butler at RB
Keon Hatcher at WR

SPECIAL TEAMS
Takeru Yamasaki at kicker
Jake Ford at punter

There will likely be 5 rookie starers on defence (Hardin, Williams, Gwacham, Kamalu and Banks) and none on offence.

It reinforces what I've been saying through training camp. The B.C. offence will be as good as any in the league if Reilly is healthy. The defence is young and unproven but bigger and more athletic than we've seen in B.C. in recent years.
Reg18
Starter

I like Marcus Sayles taking the safety
Position. An experienced veteran makes sense. Thanks for the update. I missed that
cms22
Starter

if this were a "normal season" without the lost year, I would say "pass rush" is what I would be focussed on...

everything else seemed reasonable in the 2019 season, if I recall correctly.

where is Shawn Lemon this year?

can't believe someone picked up Odell Willis...... is that a healthy veterans salary? or did Odell take massive cut to keep playing football?
Dusty
Champion

Shawn Lemon signed with Edmonton, was cut and now is with Calgary. I thought Shawn Lemon showed some value when he was in BC, but it was diminishing. He may be a rotation guy on the Stamps which should help him to contribute for a whole season.

Not sure if Odel is still on a roster.

PS, I'm still having a hard time writing Elkies.....lol
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Pretty remarkable JR Tavai is all that is left from Ed Hervey's complete d-line rebuild via free agency in 2020 — that also included Johnson, Brown and Casher. Hopefully a great reflection of their recruiting.
I guess the good news with 3 rookies up front and the late start to the season is the Lions can pay close attention to NFL cuts in the month ahead if they need an instant upgrade. Nowhere near the same amount of time investing in these players compared to a typical late May training camp.

Campbell has sure taken on a lot — overseeing a defence with likely 5 rookie starters — on top of his other duties and no Leroy Blugh beside him.

Checking some of the other teams' rosters I was most surprised to see Danny Vandervoort has made Edmonton's active roster.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

SammyGreene wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:05 am
Pretty remarkable JR Tavai is all that is left from Ed Hervey's complete d-line rebuild via free agency in 2020 — that also included Johnson, Brown and Casher. Hopefully a great reflection of their recruiting.
I guess the good news with 3 rookies up front and the late start to the season is the Lions can pay close attention to NFL cuts in the month ahead if they need an instant upgrade. Nowhere near the same amount of time investing in these players compared to a typical late May training camp.

Campbell has sure taken on a lot — overseeing a defence with likely 5 rookie starters — on top of his other duties and no Leroy Blugh beside him.

Checking some of the other teams' rosters I was most surprised to see Danny Vandervoort has made Edmonton's active roster.

With all the rookies on D, Lions might need to be high scoring on O to win games.

With most of the rookies being on the D line, it at least is an area of the Canadian game that requires the least adaptation and has the least nuances vs US football... other than lining up 1 yard off the line. :wink:
Reg18
Starter

Im looking for dramatic improvements in both O and D lines. And after reviewing their recruits i think its ?looking very promising.!