Training camp 2021

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It's official: The B.C. Lions will be back on the field Sunday, July 11 for the start of a 3-week training camp at Hillside Stadium in Kamloops.

With the CFL Board of Governors' approval of a 14-week regular season beginning Aug. 5, the Lions have released daily training camp practice schedules, with a lot more afternoon 2-a-days than in past years. That should be interesting in the heat of a Kamloops summer.

Since there are no preseason games, the highlight of camp will likely be three full team scrimmages:

Saturday, July 17, 8:30-10:45 a.m.
Saturday, July 24, 8:30-10-45 a.m.
Friday, July 30, 8:30-10:45 a.m.

There are no Sunday practices aside from opening day so if you want to travel to Kamloops and take in several practices, it's best to do it midweek leading up to a Saturday morning scrimmage.

I hope to be there every day.

Here's a link to the full training camp schedule (Note all practices are subject to change based on weather and other factors):
https://www.bclions.com/training-camp/
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I bit the bullet a couple days ago and already reserved a room in Kamloops for weekend of July 17th. Happy to see there will be a scrimmage to watch but wish there was more. Unfortunately work commitments will dictate that I can be only be there for Saturdays and half of Sundays if something was happening then. See you on the 17th BCF!
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
BC 1988
Legend

Interesting workaround by EDM-CGY for the absence of pre-season games
Hambone
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:37 pm
That would have to be negotiated as there is language in the current CBA that strictly forbids teams holding scrimmages against other teams during training camps. Arguably it may be deemed an advantage for teams who are close enough logistically to do so. BC has no such proximity to another team to make that viable.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

BC 1988 wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:37 pm
If that goes through I could see all of the traditional rivals doing the same. It would be a short bus ride in most cases:

Saskatchewan/Winnipeg
Toronto/Hamilton
Ottawa/Montreal

And that would leave the Lions at a disadvantage on the outside looking in, as they usually are on Labour Day weekend. Lining up against another team, even in a controlled scrimmage, is a much better measuring stick than lining up against teammates every day for three weeks.
BC 1988
Legend

I agree the Lions could suffer as the odd team out, if the other eight geographically matched clubs get approval for (and decide to avail themselves of) the training camp scrimmages.

On the other hand, there is the traditional wariness of giving away training camp information that might dissuade clubs from agreeing to participate in this--I'm a bit surprised CGY-EDM are considering doing it.
Reg18
Starter

I was just looking at the roster and couldnt helpnoticing that all of nour QBs are at least 6ft 2 inches tall and are all over 200lbs. I tealize that sized isnt the biggest quality when comparing QBs but Will aleays take a bigger qb if I had to make a choice. And I would hoe that the size night help them see the field and aslso survive the hits that come their way
BC 1988
Legend

I still haven't seen word that the necessary official approvals exist to do this, but SSK-WPG are also planning a controlled scrimmage.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

I take it the main field at TRU for training camp has lights. This heatwave has me thinking what the team could be in store for 2 weeks from now. Not saying Kamloops will be in the mid-40s like it will be for the next few days but mid-30s for high intensity physical activity is hardly ideal either.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:52 am
I take it the main field at TRU for training camp has lights. This heatwave has me thinking what the team could be in store for 2 weeks from now. Not saying Kamloops will be in the mid-40s like it will be for the next few days but mid-30s for high intensity physical activity is hardly ideal either.
As a Kamloops resident, I questioned the decision to schedule so many afternoon practices in the July heat. Mornings are the coolest part of the day. It makes little sense to schedule morning practices some days and afternoon practices the next day.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:23 pm
I still haven't seen word that the necessary official approvals exist to do this, but SSK-WPG are also planning a controlled scrimmage.
Looks like it won't be happening nor will other speculated matchups between teams in close proximity.
https://3downnation.com/2021/06/25/join ... ee-report/
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

SammyGreene wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:52 am
TBH, I stopped going to TC because it is not high intensity match ups anymore, it is mostly walk throughs. I really don't know how those coaches can do proper player assessments.
BC 1988
Legend

Training camp setup is underway.

Hopefully the already worsening wildfire (and resulting smoke situation) doesn't make things unworkable there.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Heads up for anyone planning to head to training camp. The Lions have posted the following notice on their training camp webpage:
**Please NOTE: due to Federal health regulations surrounding COVID-19, the first week of practices (July 11th-17th) will be CLOSED to the public.
I don't know if that means that the grandstands will be closed or that viewing of practice through the chain-link fence or from the Tournament Capital Centre are also prohibited. The first week of practice is usually the most important. It's when the projected starting lineup is identified and refined, and includes the first of three planned scrimmages that will be the closest things to preseason games this year.

https://www.bclions.com/training-camp/

UPDATE: I asked Matt Baker of the Lions to clarify the policy, and he replied that it's federal and CFL health regulations, nothing to do with the Lions. He said he would not suggest coming and trying to peer through the fence, just for the risk of being turned away and wasting a trip. I live 15 minutes away so I might check it out anyway.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:01 am
UPDATE: I asked Matt Baker of the Lions to clarify the policy, and he replied that it's federal and CFL health regulations, nothing to do with the Lions. He said he would not suggest coming and trying to peer through the fence, just for the risk of being turned away and wasting a trip. I live 15 minutes away so I might check it out anyway.
I'd already changed plans due to getting an invite into a golf tournament. I cancelled my room for weekend of the 17th and rebooked for the 24th so will be keeping an eye out for your daily reports to commence as a signal the coast is clear to come on down. :wink: