Predict the Lions' 2021 Opening Day Front Four

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Much has been made about the Leos' front 4 since we were not able to retain Micah Johnson. It will be a largely 'no name' line, but I wouldn't confuse that with 'no talent.' Lots of veteran Import talent coming here, many of whom have had stops in the NFL (of varying lengths).

Here is my opening day prediction:

DE - Chris Casher
NT - Lewis Neal
DT - J.R. Tavai
DE - Obum Gwacham

I think they're going to keep Nordly Capi as a rotational rush end. He hasn't played in some time, but he had 4 sacks for the Arizona Cardinals in 2018, leading the team in preseason (before being released). I also think Ufomba Kamalu is going to be on the opening day roster at defensive tackle.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 12:11 pm
Much has been made about the Leos' front 4 since we were not able to retain Micah Johnson. It will be a largely 'no name' line, but I wouldn't confuse that with 'no talent.' Lots of veteran Import talent coming here, many of whom have had stops in the NFL (of varying lengths).

Here is my opening day prediction:

DE - Chris Casher
NT - Lewis Neal
DT - J.R. Tavai
DE - Obum Gwacham

I think they're going to keep Nordly Capi as a rotational rush end. He hasn't played in some time, but he had 4 sacks for the Arizona Cardinals in 2018, leading the team in preseason (before being released). I also think Ufomba Kamalu is going to be on the opening day roster at defensive tackle.

I think J.R. Tavai and Chris Casher will start training camp as the first-unit defensive ends, which under previous regimes would make them locks for the opening-day roster. Tavai started at DE for Rick Campbell in Ottawa in 2019 and recorded a team-high 7 sacks, along with 49 defensive tackles and 3 forced fumbles. Casher also had 7 sacks, 34 defensive tackles and a forced fumble in limited reps on a talented Calgary D line. Both were prized free-agent acquisitions in 2020.

I don't know much about the contenders for interior D-line positions other than what Matt Baker has reported from his discussions with the coaching staff. It's clear that they're planning to start four Americans up front and are high on Ufomba Kamalu and Lewis Neal, who both have NFL experience, so I'd give them the inside track for starting positions in a more wide-open battle. Kamalu played DE in the NFL and has the size to play inside or outside. Still, I would not be surprised to see one or two other names in the starting front 4.

DE - Chris Casher
NT - Lewis Neal
DT - Ufomba Kamalu
DE - J.R. Tavai
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Still hoping Ryan Brown ends up back with us. Has not signed with anyone yet after being ranked #3 among 2021 FA DLs behind only Johnson and Sewell.

https://3downnation.com/2021/02/05/2021 ... e-linemen/

Like Johnson, signed just the 1-year deal with Hervey in 2020. Perhaps he was holding out for an NFL mini-camp offer but nothing so far.
OV - 54:40
Champion

DE - JR Tavai

the rest - 3 imports maybe including Casher ?

Campbell's RedBlacks the past couple of seasons featured a revolving door sort of mostly new, younger import D-Linemen; Tavai was easily the best of the group IMO and the rest were often mediocre. A far cry from the RedBlacks GC win run where the D-Line featured a group of 4 Canadians (Laing, Zak Evans, Gascon-Nadon & Connor Williams) playing most of the reps.
David
Team Captain

Any idea why the Lions' website has had Tavai listed as a DT for quite some time? I thought that is where they had slotted him (although he seems a bit undersized for DT....not Odell Willis undersized, mind you, but not your prototypical defensive tackle. :wink:).

Regardless, he is a virtual lock for one of the 4 starting positions along the defensive line.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Speaking of Odell Willis, has he announce his retirement ?
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

TheLionKing wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 10:42 pm
Speaking of Odell Willis, has he announce his retirement ?
He signed with the Argos so make that a no.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Reg18
Starter

Ofell wass showing his age and it looks like fasther time hasd exacted a priceon his body so I think he might be retired this year
David
Team Captain

More promising talent signed for the D-line. I am happy that we're adding a couple of more training camp bodies for this part of the defense.

https://www.bclions.com/2021/06/10/lion ... ce=dlvr.it
Here is Goodson's draft profile. At 6'1" (or less in reality), it's not surprising that he was passed over by NFL clubs.

https://lastwordonsports.com/nfl/2021/0 ... nfl-draft/

Roar, You Lions, Roar