2021 season

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Re: 2021 season

It is looking like by Sept just about everyone that wants a vaccine will have had at least one shot so I am predicting a Sept CFL start with limited crowds and seating.

B.C.FAN
MVP
MVP

DanoT wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:39 pm It is looking like by Sept just about everyone that wants a vaccine will have had at least one shot so I am predicting a Sept CFL start with limited crowds and seating.
Provincial and federal governments have said everyone will have a chance to receive their first dose by July 1 and second dose by the end of September but that timetable is likely to be moved up as a result of increased vaccine supply.

"I think [Fred Fateri] was like a lot of people who watch football, hockey or any professional sport on television. They sit there and think they could coach better than the professional. Some people really think that." - Bob Ackles, The Water Boy
BC 1988
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:54 pm
DanoT wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:39 pm It is looking like by Sept just about everyone that wants a vaccine will have had at least one shot so I am predicting a Sept CFL start with limited crowds and seating.
Provincial and federal governments have said everyone will have a chance to receive their first dose by July 1 and second dose by the end of September but that timetable is likely to be moved up as a result of increased vaccine supply.
I agree--the latest news indicates we will have an unlimited supply of US produced Pfizer from now on. The issue will be the lawyered away statement of Ambrosie about the conditions of a season start dependent on fans/stands. They will have to make a decision for starting training camps long before there is confirmation by every provincial gov't that this can happen (starting the season with no fans/stands would easily be approved.)

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

In order for there to be an unlimited or even adequate amounts of the vaccine available, the Biden Admin in the US will first need to lift the patent law, which would then allow hugely needed production in India to ramp up.

So far with the patents still in effect, the U.S. drug company lobby seems to be winning out, so I remain skeptical of a pre Sept start to the CFL.

The best hope is that the US government finally acknowledges the fact that with a worldwide pandemic it is in the USA's best interest to fight the pandemic on a worldwide basis. I'm hopeful but not counting on the US government to figure things out but it may be too late for many in India.

BC 1988
Legend

The US govt is doing that now--their production is now far more than the US population will need, and Trump's America First is being dropped in favor of assuring their neighboring borders can soon be fully opened--Mexico and Canada will get what they need first, then the rest of the world.

From what I'm hearing, India is in a crisis that it is largely it's own doing. They were a major exporter of the SII AZ vaccine, and their govt was full of bravado that they were doing so much better than the West.
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/5/4 ... n-disarray
Then the current wave hit them. They cut off exports and COVAX reliant African countries are suffering because of it.
https://www.dw.com/en/africa-scrambles- ... a-57416845
Pfizer has presented proof that the product has been tested and safe, but the Modi govt is blocking imports.
https://www.dw.com/en/india-covid-crisi ... a-57417960
To me, Modi is right up there with Bolsonaro and Trump in the COVID Hall of Shame
https://www.dw.com/en/opinion-its-about ... a-57358906