2021 season

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Huge Talent
Starter

2021 season

Happy Easter everyone!

I'm starting to get both excited and worried about the upcoming season. Things will surely evolve, as maybe will this thread.

As of today, what are you guys predicting will happen?

What we know: covid numbers are at an all time high, yet vaccines are underway.

CFL can't really afford another missed season, can it?

Will they allow limited attendance? Maybe open the top deck?

XFL maybe looking to be opportunistic. After thinking about this a bit more - As intriguing as the idea of a merge is, it would turn our league into North American minor league football. At least now we have the Canadian identity.

Ok, sorry if this was all over the place, but maybe that's fitting.

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Re: 2021 season

there will be no successful normal reg season.

I am doubtful of any successful season at all.

out of desperation they may try at some point but it will not be good.

Every day that passes is one you can't get back
BC 1988
Legend

That's what I thought too, but some surprising things are happening in the US right now.
https://toronto.citynews.ca/2021/04/03/ ... es-plunge/
Bear in mind that these include some of the most hardline California jurisdictions, not just places like Texas and Florida, which were always reckless.

Of course, Canada has been stumbling and bumbling along with their vaccination supply/rollout by comparison. What is happening in the NHL with most of the Canucks roster out of action is the reverse of the now minimal US divisional incidences.

If we can overcome the damage done to public perception towards AstraZeneca vaccine safety, this could turn around in a hurry.

maxlion
Champion

Vaccine procurement and rollout is one variable. Another is how effective a single dose is against variants. Then there is the possibility of new variants. None of these things are known, which makes predictions difficult.

If all goes perfectly according to plan, then potentially games with fans could start in fall. Maybe a few games in late summer without fans. I would say that is the best case scenario.

BC 1988
Legend

Agreed. There are a lot of unknowns in what is effectively uncharted territory. Here are a couple of articles on the US situation that are worth the long read.
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... 21/618427/
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... ne/618463/

Huge Talent
Starter

This is incredibly unfortunate, as CFL fans. Sadly, sports are the least of our concerns right now.

Even under the best circumstances, I'm now doubtful we will have fans in seats in Canada in 2021. "Out of an abundance of caution" will become a new familiar catch phrase.

I hope I'm wrong. I miss CFL football, and I miss the forums here discussing it.