Mike Reilly, Lemar Durant restructure contracts

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have resolved Mike Reilly's contract grievance and restructured the two remaining years of his contract. They've also extended Lemar Durant's contract through 2022. Neither player was a pending free agent.

The Lions agreed to pay Reilly the $250,000 he had been guaranteed for the cancelled 2020 season. According to Farhan Lalji, he will make $525,000 in 2021, including a $350,000 signing bonus to be paid early in the new year, and $575,000 in 2022. His original contract called for him to be paid $725,000 in 2021 and $750,000 in 2022.

Steve Ewen of The Province breaks down the details and potential implications of the Reilly deal:
Steve Ewen: Reilly resolution could aid Lions in bringing back Burnham

Durant will make $175,000 in 2021 and $200,000 in 2022, according to Farhan Lalji.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

$225K in SMS cap room gained for this season. Nearly half way to the SMS floor if that is indeed a priority. Geting Reilly restructured etches in stone him being the BC QB for the next 2 years which bodes well for extending Burnham. They are tight appearing to be inseparable on and off the field in Kamloops last year. The downward 2021 adjustment for Durant should help them secure Burnham at a more reasonable price too.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Looks like Derek Jones may have restructured his contract too. I see the tell tale "delete from roster" followed by "add" transactions for him in CFL.ca.
Murdoch
All Star

Hope it wasn't one of my "Claybrooks was a good guy" posts that got the site shut down. Sorry if it was.

Very curious if Lemar Durant was given some kind of guarantee for the second year of his renegotiated contract. Most likely the choice was reneg or be cut for this year. Even the $175,000 is big money but at least still leaves room for Burnham. No Derel Walker for you.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Don't give yourself too much credit or blame Murdoch. Lol. Looks like it was a software or server crash probably similar to past Lionbacker outages. D was probably too busy shoveling snow or working on his house renos back in Nova Scotia to get after it right away.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Waiting somewhat anxiously on Burnham re-signing and Sukh Chungh agreeing to restructure his $250,000 per season deal. That has to be coming right?
Murdoch
All Star

SammyGreene wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:18 am
Waiting somewhat anxiously on Burnham re-signing and Sukh Chungh agreeing to restructure his $250,000 per season deal. That has to be coming right?
John Hodge story last week about Ryan Rigmaiden almost landing Burnham for Winnipeg in 2019. Probably cost the Lions a bit then.

It's never been clear to me if Burnham is above average speed or if it's just that he catches everything he touches. He's been a good player for the Lions.

Won't be in Vancouver but I would love to see the Manny show continue on. No idea if he is even interested but thought he did a good job in Sask. More of a Nik Lewis type at this point. Possibly done.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Good point Sammy re: Chungh. He does have 1 more years left. He was very disappointing in 2019 although I'm convinced he was never 100% healthy coming out of training camp. I do expect a much improved performance from him but it should come with a haircut down to something like $200K.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Good point Sammy re: Chungh. He does have 1 more years left. He was very disappointing in 2019 although I'm convinced he was never 100% healthy coming out of training camp. I do expect a much improved performance from him but it should come with a haircut down to something like $200K.
Murdoch
All Star

One thing about all the restructuring going on is that it was well after the fact in some cases when the final cap number was finalized. I believe it was generally anticipated to be higher than it ended up being. I could be wrong.

Still wondering about whatever they called targeting the low end of the sms especially given that teams fudge the numbers to suit them. Obviously one big benefit to a one owner league.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Cap numbers are etched in stone in the CBA. Other than when bigger bumps are negotiated into a Year 1 of a new CBA since its inception the SMS always went up $50K every year while min player salary would go up $1K per year.
Murdoch
All Star

Hambone wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:10 pm
Cap numbers are etched in stone in the CBA. Other than when bigger bumps are negotiated into a Year 1 of a new CBA since its inception the SMS always went up $50K every year while min player salary would go up $1K per year.
I couldn't find anything to back up my claim although I did look.

Lions signed Mike Reilly in Feb. Talk at the time is the cap would be going up to accommodate the big QB salaries is what I remember.

The CBA wasn't finalized until May so they didn't really know the hard sms number going into free agency is all I was saying. Might have been the reason they went so late with Elimimian trying to fit him in.

Meanwhile Dan Verlieb was busy with his QBs and the deals were done. It wasn't an ideal situation for the league. And again it is the players taking the shave which won't go on for ever imo.
BC 1988
Legend

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040 ... -1.1570628
Mike Reilly on 1040 today (with Farhan & Dhaliwal, sitting in for Donnie & the Moj). Good interview, if only to get a sense of his mindset coming out of the settling of his contract and the challenges ahead to get 2021 off the ground.
Reg18
Starter

I wonder if Reillys new contract gives him any right to say who will back him up? I am excited to see Nathan Rourke play a canadian QB who had great success in US college. And ?wr Jazmond Ferguson looks interesting as well. Hopefully tgey both make tge team and get to play soon. Could be a good year for the lions if they y can play.
David
Team Captain

Great local interview with Mike on CTV Morning Live this morning. I've said it before, but I can't think of a better spokesman and face of a team than Mike Reilly. This guy is such a naturally engaging and thoughtful personality. Just a great, seasoned pro in front of a camera or microphone. :thup:

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=2113278

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar