2021 CFL free agency

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Dusty wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:22 pm
Hambone wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:54 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:20 pm
The Lions have re-signed defensive end J.R. Tavai, who played for Campbell in Ottawa in 2019 and tied for the Redblacks team lead with 7 sacks, so that's one more potential free agent off the list.

DEFENSIVE LINEMAN J.R. TAVAI RETURNS TO LIONS FOR 2021
Great news. See Dusty ya just had to be patient. :wink:
LOL..... Patience My Ass...... I wanna see signings!!!!! LMAO......
Looks like you're getting your wish. Former REDBLACK DB Anthony Cioffi who spent 2020 training camp with the NY Jets is the latest.

https://www.bclions.com/2021/01/13/lion ... ny-cioffi/
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Cioffi started all 18 games at the SAM position in Ottawa in 2019, registering 61 defensive tackles, 2 sacks, 2 interceptions and a forced fumble.

The Lions have a stacked secondary, with 5 veteran American starters signed for 2021at DB and SAM, plus promising second-year player Victor Gamboa and a slew of experienced nationals who can play safety or corner.

This signing likely means that ex-Eskimo Kenny Ladler, originally signed by Ed Hervey to play SAM in B.C., will hit the open market next month.
Qman
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:32 pm
In the first 11 days of 2021 the Lions and Argos have been the least active teams in signing players to 2021 contracts, according to the CFL transaction wire. Only 6 signings of new or returning players have been announced by the Lions (including 2 rookie signings announced today) and 4 by the Argos, compared to a high of 32 by Winnipeg. It's still early but I hope the Lions can make a big dent in their 32-player free-agent list before those players hit the open market in four weeks. The 2021 signings per team:

WIN 32
OTT 22
CAL 19
EDM 18
SAS 16
HAM 10
MTL 8
BCL 6
TOR 4
lets face it 20-25 guys on our free agent list, we don't want back.
David
Team Captain

Love the Cioffi signing. The guy is a playmaker with Bighill-type hustle.

The number of Ottawa players signing here tells me that they liked playing for Rick Campbell.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Two more added. Vet OL Phil Norman who started 11 games at C in 2019 and rotational DE Darius Allen.

https://www.bclions.com/2021/01/14/lion ... ius-allen/
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I wonder if the Lions are considering moving Norman to tackle. He has the size and smarts to play tackle and I know Farhan Lalji was high on his talent. The Lions have former Hamilton tackle Ryker Mathews under contract for 2021 but Veteran LT Joel Figueroa is a pending free agent. Justin Renfrow, who helped stabilize the Lions' O-line when he was acquired midseason from Calgary in 2019 to play RT, was signed by Edmonton in free agency last year but was released this week and is back on the market.
David
Team Captain

I recall Norman being versatile, so that is a possibility. If Fig isn't re-signed, I wonder if Matthews could play at LT? Then there is David Knevel whom I think is talented and seasoned enough to start. However, with his frame, I would rather see him at RT than at guard.

Whatever the case, I do hope that we don't see the need to start 3 Americans on the O-line in 2021.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Farhan Lalji discussed free agency and contract renegotiations with Derek Taylor on Sports Cage Wednesday. Of B.C. interest, he mentioned that Lemar Durant’s new $175,000 contract and Derel Walker’s $180,000 deal in Edmonton help set the market for Bryan Burnham. He also said the Lions are in “tense” negotiations with Aaron Grymes to restructure his 2021 contract. The Lions’ recent signings of free agent DBs Marcus Sayles and Anthony Cioffi could give the Lions leverage over Grymes. Taylor said he considers Cioffi one of the CFL’s top three players at the SAM position.

Here’s an audio link. Farhan’s segment begins at 1:40:
https://c1.futuripost.com/ckrm/playlist ... ef=twitter
Hambone
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:39 pm
I recall Norman being versatile, so that is a possibility. If Fig isn't re-signed, I wonder if Matthews could play at LT? Then there is David Knevel whom I think is talented and seasoned enough to start. However, with his frame, I would rather see him at RT than at guard.

Whatever the case, I do hope that we don't see the need to start 3 Americans on the O-line in 2021.

Agreed 100%. I have high hopes that now healthy Godber will take over in the middle. Like yourself I also like Knevel's potential. However as of right now he remains unsigned. I'm pretty sure Mathews did get more than a couple starts at LT in Hamilton.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:05 pm
Farhan Lalji discussed free agency and contract renegotiations with Derek Taylor on Sports Cage Wednesday. Of B.C. interest, he mentioned that Lemar Durant’s new $175,000 contract and Derel Walker’s $180,000 deal in Edmonton help set the market for Bryan Burnham. He also said the Lions are in “tense” negotiations with Aaron Grymes to restructure his 2021 contract. The Lions’ recent signings of free agent DBs Marcus Sayles and Anthony Cioffi could give the Lions leverage over Grymes. Taylor said he considers Cioffi one of the CFL’s top three players at the SAM position.

Here’s an audio link. Farhan’s segment begins at 1:40:
https://c1.futuripost.com/ckrm/playlist ... ef=twitter
Thanks Hambone. That's a very insightful clip. Taylor's knowledge of the league is so good. Interesting in how Farhan thinks Durant's re-structured deal may still be too high given what Walker signed for and leaves the Lions in a position they can't come too far down off of Burnham's previous contract ($200,000) if they want to re-sign him. Then again will anyone in the league pay him more than Walker?

Farhan also thinking the domiino effect coming on Willie Jefferson taking a significant paycut ($205,000) given in his opinion he is the best defensive player in the league.

Have to think Sukh Chungh's 2019 deal ($250,000) leaves him at least $50,000 overpaid in this new financial era of the CFL. That's going to be an interesting re-negotiation too.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Two more down. Nat RB Jamel Lyles and Amer LB Dyshawn Davis

https://www.bclions.com/2021/01/15/lion ... awn-davis/
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:49 am
Two more down. Nat RB Jamel Lyles and Amer LB Dyshawn Davis

https://www.bclions.com/2021/01/15/lion ... awn-davis/
The Lions still have a lot of work to do to solidify their linebacking corps. Davis is a veteran special teamer and rotational linebacker. Whether he gets more playing time depends on who else re-signs. The Lions have 2020 first overall draft pick Jordan Williams under contract, along with national backup/special teamer Adrian Clarke. Linebackers who remain unsigned include Kevin Haynes, Adam Konar, Jordan Herdman-Reed, Mitch Barnett and and LB/DB Isaiah Guzylak-Messam.
Murdoch
All Star

Elimimian was reported at $165,000 with Sask last year. Duh. If the Lions wanted to sell some tickets it's a move that the fans would love imo. One last year. Plus it would hurt Sask who are putting a strong team together. Why gift them such a good player?

Maybe just a coincidence that Andrew Harris only managed 40 yds in the western final and then went bezerk in the Grey Cup.

And pay Burnham the $200,000 and get it done. Not a guy to squeeze pennies over. Again imo.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

I see (Matt Baker no doubt) has created a handy 'free agency' page, to scroll through signings/articles at a glance, on the Lions' website.
https://www.bclions.com/2021-free-agency-central/

Side note; see that Adam Bighill has re-signed in the Peg for a rumored (Farhan Lalji) 115k. Huge adjustment!
Murdoch
All Star

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:37 pm
I see (Matt Baker no doubt) has created a handy 'free agency' page, to scroll through signings/articles at a glance, on the Lions' website.
https://www.bclions.com/2021-free-agency-central/

Side note; see that Adam Bighill has re-signed in the Peg for a rumored (Farhan Lalji) 115k. Huge adjustment!
Sounds to me like they shifted $100,000 over to the Wellington West payroll which also is a fairly clear signal that the games are still being played. Bighill made the obligatory "wanted to be in Winnipeg and play for coach O'Shea" comments and life goes on. Curious where he has spent the past year being the wife is from Vancouver.

If CFL rules are not rules what is the point? When the people who make the rules are the ones bending them it becomes tiresome for the loyal fan of the game. I would rather cheer for a team that is not hiding anything and abiding than one that uses smoke and mirrors to disguise their success.

It starts with the league and even there the close relationship with Bell Media and TSN makes me think it is no more than in house entertainment. $50 million per season and tied up for the next 5 or 6 is a sweet deal. Maybe they are the ones behind the "global" initiative. Bell Media reported revenue of 3.25 billion for 2019 and no one could think of a place to find the $30 million they needed from the government to have a season.

Even the concept of targeting the low end of the sms should not be a concern of the league where compliance should be a priority.