2021 CFL free agency

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Gridiron Ernie
Champion

An interesting and likely realistic take on the Lions secondary -- suggesting Grymes is as good as gone, and exploring what the secondary might look like. https://3downnation.com/2021/01/22/farh ... secondary/
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:55 pm
An interesting and likely realistic take on the Lions secondary -- suggesting Grymes is as good as gone, and exploring what the secondary might look like. https://3downnation.com/2021/01/22/farh ... secondary/
Yes, I think Farhan is seeing what people on this board have been stating with Grymes and the new DBs. I like his explanation of how “nobody is under contract.” Teams have all the leverage. Veterans who don’t take a pay cut will have to take a walk.
Murdoch
All Star

Burnham tweeting a warning by the sounds of things.

I could see Winnipeg in the bidding on this. They have been looking for that piece for a while.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Murdoch wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:20 am

I could see Winnipeg in the bidding on this. They have been looking for that piece for a while.
Obviously this might be a concern. Still even if they are a ways apart today I can't see there being more money out in the open market than the Lions would be willing to spend. Recent deals for Walker, Banks and Evans have pretty much set $200K as the absolute top end of the receiver market. Durant's deal at $175K should set the bottom end for Burnham in BC with an ultimate settlement landing somewhere in between regardless of where he winds up. While we all very much want this to have already been done and are wringing our hands in angst that it hasn't there is one thing to note re: Burnham and contracts. He's never been in a hurry to ink new deals. He signed extensions back in 2017 and 2019. In both cases he didn't agree to terms until 2 days prior to becoming a free agent. For now I think they are simply going through the negotiation process with both sides trying to get the best deal they can. In fairness to Burnham this may be his last shot at a big ticket deal given he turns 31 in a couple of months.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Murdoch
All Star

With the CBA up BB16 won't be signing a long term deal imo. It's one year.

Could be just posturing on Burnhams part with two weeks left.

Ellingson still out there in a move that won't sell one ticket.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Ellingson is still out there mostly because until Feb 9th he can't sign with anybody other than EFC. With what they've done to date with Walker it would seem Ellingson is too expensive for them. However with today's sudden turn of events with Milanovich leaving should Elizondo turn out to be the new HC thinking could change. With all important free agency 2 weeks away I don't think Sunderlund will waste any time filling the HC vacancy. I'd wager they have someone in place by the end of the week.
OV - 54:40
Champion

Murdoch wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:20 am

Burnham would be a huge get for the Bummers. They just don't have an all-around receiver talent for a #1 guy. Ellingson would work there too, IMO.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

I 'm a little perplexed to see what the hold up is on a new deal for Burnham unless it has to do with length of contract or signing bonus. He made $205,000 last year and the Lions just gave Durant $175,000 on his re-structured deal. So somewhere in between seems like the landing spot with $190,000 giving him $5,000 more than what Derel Walker just signed for in Edmonton.

That said, I feel for the players. Burnham, 30, in the prime of his career with the downside not too far off. Misses out entirely on a sizable 2020 salary and now being asked to take less. Kudos to Sukh Chungh who agreed to a $95,000 pay cut on his re-structured deal.
Murdoch
All Star

Hambone wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:58 pm
Ellingson is still out there mostly because until Feb 9th he can't sign with anybody other than EFC. With what they've done to date with Walker it would seem Ellingson is too expensive for them. However with today's sudden turn of events with Milanovich leaving should Elizondo turn out to be the new HC thinking could change. With all important free agency 2 weeks away I don't think Sunderlund will waste any time filling the HC vacancy. I'd wager they have someone in place by the end of the week.
Thought Ellingson had been released already. Either way we'll soon know.
Murdoch
All Star

Hambone wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:58 pm
maxlion
Legend

Elizondo looks like a natural fit for Edmonton. Maybe even an upgrade on Milanovich.

Re Burnham, I wonder if Campbell prefers Ellingson and so is not too concerned about letting Burnham walk. Ellingson was one of the most consistent receivers in the league during their time together. People like to surround themselves with people they know and trust.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Murdoch wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:14 am

I think with the Walker signing everybody is assuming Ellingson won't be back. He's not listed as being released by Edmonton in the FA Tracker and he remains showing on the EFC roster. So it is possible he could still be extended. EFC did release WR Kenny Shaw a couple days after signing Walker. While the FA Tracker still has him listed as a pending FA he is no longer on the EFC roster.

One can't rely totally on the FA Tracker as it seems some transactions (extensions, releases) that are listed on the Transactions page don't get updated on the FA Tracker. Victor Gamboa still shows as a pending FA 4 weeks after his extension was listed in the Transactions page. Seems to especially have been a problem between Christmas and New Years when the CFL office likely had only a skeleton crew in the office. Gamboa was listed as signed on Dec 29. Edmonton signed Vontae Diggs, Sean Whyte and Tevaun Smith to new deals on Dec 31 per the Transactions page. All still show as pending FAs.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

maxlion wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:40 am

Re Burnham, I wonder if Campbell prefers Ellingson and so is not too concerned about letting Burnham walk. Ellingson was one of the most consistent receivers in the league during their time together. People like to surround themselves with people they know and trust.
That's a great point maxlion and has me wondering the same thing as the Lions basically revisit free agency with different GMs and different player options. Also wondering if this what they are thinking regarding Micah Johnson too as Farhan believes he won't be re-signed by BC. Does BC look at Almondo Sewell instead who apparently is likely not going to be re-signed by the Eskimos?
Murdoch
All Star

Montreal looking good at receiver with BJ Cunningham signing to go along with Eugene Lewis, Naaman Roosevelt and Jake Weineke. Not sure how they plan to work the ratio. Henoc Muamba helps.
Dusty
Champion

I'd take Burnham over Ellingson any day. Ellingson has a bunch more wear on his body than Burnham. I'll be sadly disappointed if Burnham is allowed to walk....