2021 CFL free agency

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

OV - 54:40
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:00 am
OV - 54:40 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:45 pm

Ottawa had used an H-back some over the past few seasons (Beaulieu was a real good one IMO); so, when the H-back goes in, he replaces one of the starting NI receivers? Not really so in Ottawa where Sinopoli was a starting fixture at slot and would not come out for the H-back. Still going to be mostly 5 pack look IMO, but Mackie could play a role a bit at H-back ? Will not be 2 NI receivers plus an H-back as the main set.

Ottawa went with 5 starting NI O-linemen some of last season = not in the cards for Campbell in BC - he will have to get to 7 only some other way. 4 starting NI O-line is only a remote possibility unless one of Figueora or Ryker M (or another import ?) do not start at OT ?
BC just extended Figuero this morning. With Mathews being a prized FA signing last year they will be starting bookend tackles leaving a max of 3 NAT OL. There are only 2 reasons Figs or Mathews them might not start; serious training camp injury or some rookie comes in an blows Bates and Campbell's socks off. They are significant signings who don't come at minimum salary. Mathews was a 2019 East All-Star and Figueroa was BC's nominee for Outstanding OL the past 2 seasons. Teams just don't sign players of that calibre and salary if there are doubts about them emerging from camp in starting roles.

When I say obligatory 5th receiver/fullback I'm talking that position almost every team uses. One or the other gets listed as the starter and they typically rotate from there depending on the package the OC wants on the field for the given situation. H-Back? Sure but to me that's more an exercise in semantics. Quite often the FB plays that role lining up more like a TE or in a slot role. Mackie could do that. He's yet to record a carry in 2 years but has been used as a receiving target. Cottoy if he returns could also do that. He's certainly big enough.

Until we get closer to opening of free agency and see who else of their own pending FAs the Lions sign it's hard to guess what positions will be used for the final couple of NAT starters. It is looking like 3 OL and 2 receivers for sure (Durant and 5th WR/FB/H-Back). Everything points to a starting NAT LB, most likely MLB. I think the secondary will be 5 Americans.

The DL will also be all American starters. They would have to go on a free agency spending spree to turn a DL position into a NAT starter as not only would they need to find a starting calibre but also others to back him up. BC has no experienced NAT DL under contract.

So where does the 7th starter play? Re-signing Shaq Johnson would take care of that. With his brother already extended I'm thinking it's only a matter of time. As you are well aware I'm big on Cottoy. If he opts back in he, Durant and Johnson would lock in 3 starting receiver positions. Failing that it might be easier to find a NAT receiver in free agency than some other positions. Could Sinopoli be in play to follow Campbell out west? I doubt it as he's an Ottawa area guy plus I think he'd be too expensive. One NAT pending FA whose name does catch my eye is former Lion Bo Lokombo. He's not yet been extended by the Argos. I wonder if a repatriation might be in the cards there.
As I said before - ill wager no way that Campbell starts 3 NI receivers even if Johnson and Cottoy return; and the few teams that play an H-back the odd time (a few downs a game), may list the guy as a "starter" (does that mean the guy has to be on the field for the first series on offence - doubt any CFL ref cares or checks ?), but 5 pack look is way more common with usually one or 2 NI starting receivers; so if the "starter" H-back was one of your 7 only, then he would have to be replaced by another NI receiver and not an import ; and when Ottawa used an H-back, it was not their only NI starting receiver (Sinopoli) who came out, it was one of the import receivers (or maybe the import tailback)

Who are all the "proven" import D-linemen the Lions have to pencil-in as starters ? Another way to get to 7 only NIs might be to draft (or maybe FA sign) a good D-line prospect (DE or DT) and hope that last year's pick Hammond pans out to play at DT, to combine with the new guy in a rotation of sorts so that there is always one NI D-lineman on the field - that's how the Bombers got to 7 late last year (6 on O and their 7th was a rotation of DT Jake Thomas & Jon Kongbo)
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

OV - 54:40 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:48 am

As I said before - ill wager no way that Campbell starts 3 NI receivers even if Johnson and Cottoy return; and the few teams that play an H-back the odd time (a few downs a game), may list the guy as a "starter" (does that mean the guy has to be on the field for the first series on offence - doubt any CFL ref cares or checks ?), but 5 pack look is way more common with usually one or 2 NI starting receivers; so if the "starter" H-back was one of your 7 only, then he would have to be replaced by another NI receiver and not an import ; and when Ottawa used an H-back, it was not their only NI starting receiver (Sinopoli) who came out, it was one of the import receivers (or maybe the import tailback)

Who are all the "proven" import D-linemen the Lions have to pencil-in as starters ? Another way to get to 7 only NIs might be to draft (or maybe FA sign) a good D-line prospect (DE or DT) and hope that last year's pick Hammond pans out to play at DT, to combine with the new guy in a rotation of sorts so that there is always one NI D-lineman on the field - that's how the Bombers got to 7 late last year (6 on O and their 7th was a rotation of DT Jake Thomas & Jon Kongbo)
So Campbell is willing to go to 2 import OL in BC after almost exclusively employing 5 in Ottawa but not over his dead body would he consider 3 Nat receivers regardless of their talent? Again when I'm talking 3 Nats I'm talking 2 Nats and 2 imports taking up the 4 traditional spots with the 3rd one being a 5th receiver in a 5 receiver set. And they should be able to gamble on a draft that appears thin at the top in DL talent plus a 3rd round draft pick rookie to cobble together a Nat starter at DL but you don't think they can expect last year's 1st overall pick to start at MLB?

I do agree on the questioning of the "proven" import DL which is why I said it's difficult to figure out where they are going until closer to free agency. Tavai has re-signed as has Darius Allen but I only see Allen as a depth guy. The question is will they get Casher, Johnson and Ryan Brown to follow Tavai back? Given how successfully they seem to be retaining other key FAs as they go through that process I'm confident they will be announcing the return of some of them. All of them? I don't know. There's still nearly 3 weeks to go.
Last edited by Hambone on Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

This line in J.J. Adams' report on Fig's signing stood out for me:
Figueroa missed the final game of the 2019 season because of a shoulder injury, but ended up sticking around in B.C. instead of heading back south after COVID-19 put the season in the deep freeze. He spent it training with fellow linemen like Sukh Chungh, Peter Godber, David Knevel and Phil Norman, getting healthy and staying fit.
That's a tight group of O-linemen and speaks well for team chemistry and the coaching of Kelly Bates. Chungh, Godber, Norman and Figueroa are signed for 2021, although Chungh will likely need to take a steep pay cut to fit into the budget. Ryker Mathews, Hunter Steward, Brett Boyko and Andrew Peirson are also under contract for 2021. Knevel remains unsigned and has always been underappreciated by the Lions.

The most likely ratio scenarios at this point are 3 national OL, 2-3 REC/FB and 1-2 LB. The Lions are loaded with national LBs who can start, including 2020 No. 1 draft pick Jordan Williams. At receiver, Shaq Johnson remains unsigned and Jevon Cottoy has until the end of the month to opt back into his contract. Both are regulars if they come back.

B.C. Lions lock up tackle Joel Figueroa with extension
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:50 pm
The most likely ratio scenarios at this point are 3 national OL, 2-3 REC/FB and 1-2 LB. The Lions are loaded with national LBs who can start, including 2020 No. 1 draft pick Jordan Williams. At receiver, Shaq Johnson remains unsigned and Jevon Cottoy has until the end of the month to opt back into his contract. Both are regulars if they come back.
That's the way I see it too BCF.
OV - 54:40
Champion

IF a CFL team goes 5 NIs on O (3 interior O-linemen + 2 receivers - and count the H-back as part of the receiver corps), it doesn't matter if an H-back is one of the offence who plays once in a blue moon, as long as it's 2 NI (standard - slot or WR) receivers or else one + an H-back ; 5 pack is the main CFL offensive set by far, so a team would need 2 NI receivers they have at least some faith in, if 3 O-line + 2 receivers is their way to get to 7 only.

And Desjardins (& Campbell too i guess if he had real input in the draft and overall personnel thinking) in Ottawa put heavy emphasis on building up a Canadian O-line with the RedBlacks - 6 first round O-line draft picks on their roster last season (and they also have a few other interesting O-line prospects they have drafted); SO, they could go 4 or even sometimes 5 NI O-line starters, but they often deployed an import OT over the past number of seasons. 4 O-Linemen + Sinopoli on offence, then 2 needed on D (Pruneau at safety + a D-lineman).

Hilarious thing to me with Desjardins & Campbell's standard 7 only CFL thinking a lot of the time - the most success they had in the CFL was that RedBlacks GC season where they were starting/playing 10 to 13 NIs down the stretch and into the play-offs and the GC win game.

And IMO there are several top notch to interesting D-line draft prospects up this draft (a couple of DEs in Stevens (Maine) and Joseph (NC State), plus a big DT type in Diallo (C. Michigan - might have lined-up some at DE there, but at 300+ is a CFL DT type); might be able to draft 2 of them if they wanted to go there (but not sure which of these guys are going to be finished US college ball to show up right away?)
Qman
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:12 am
Another thing I noticed in CFL transactions is that there are DELETE then ADD transactions yesterday for Hunter Steward, TJ Lee, Ryker Mathews and Peter Godber which usually indicates they have renegotiated their contracts. I'm curious if they are simply adjusting 2021 or if any involved adding more term beyond 2021.
those are salary cuts ... they announce extensions
Murdoch
All Star

Would be a nice story if the Lions were to bring Jon Jennings to camp. Still only 28 and brings increased mobility to the team. Possible good short yardage guy. Blame Ed Hervey for his fall from grace and see what happens.

Taylor Loffler is another scary name who never did disappoint on the field until he went down. Could be he has something going on in Vancouver and might be interested in staying local. He was well liked in Winnipeg during his time there.

Looks like the O line is set and Phillip Norman may be in tough. I thought he helped in 2019.
Murdoch
All Star

Not sure it was all good but Jennings and Campbell were together in 2019 and believe he made it through the season. Just saying.
David
Team Captain

Hard pass on Jennings. A nice young man for sure. Nothing against him personally. But maybe the biggest fall from grace for any quarterback that I can recall. Otherworldly in 2016 but in steady decline since then. Even sports psychologists can't seem to get him out of his head. Sure, maybe Ed rocked his confidence, the distance from him will do him good, except he was quite possibly even worse in Ottawa than he was here in BC. I would rather those reps go to Canadian Nathan Rourke. Will Arndt is a short-yardage possibility as well.

As for Taylor Loffler, I would love to see him in Lions colours. But I am not sure I would like to tie up that much money for a Canadian safety. While he lays tire tracks on receivers, those tires have a lot of mileage on them, perhaps showing a little too much wear...

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:50 pm
You view of the ratio has been solidified BCF. The Lions have extended Shaq Johnson.
https://www.bclions.com/2021/01/21/shaq ... extension/
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Murdoch wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:35 am
Not sure it was all good but Jennings and Campbell were together in 2019 and believe he made it through the season. Just saying.
Jennings made it through the season......barely. By the time the season ended he had been demoted to 3rd string behind Dominique Davis and Will Arndt. While Jennings spent 2019 with Campbell in Ottawa Arndt had been there working with Campbell since late 2017.

Jennings has been free to sign with any team since Jan 2020. That BC waited a few more weeks for Arndt to become an FA to sign him and recently re-signed him tells us all we need to know about the chances of a Jennings return.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Good news on the contract negotiation front. According to Farhan Lalji, RG Sukh Chungh has renegotiated his 2021 contract down from $260,000 to $165,000, including a signing bonus. That pretty well locks up the offensive line for 2021 as well as the defensive backfield. The D-line, linebacking and and receiving corps are still works in progress but there is word that talks are underway with pending FA receiver Bryan Burnham, who would probably be a prized signing by other teams. LB/DB Isaiah Guzylak-Messam, another pending FA who played most of the 2019 season at weakside linebacker, and utility lineman David Knevel are also being seen as priority signings by the Lions, according to Farhan.

Hambone
Hall of Famer

Thanks for that BCF. Perhaps the operative phrase we should trust was the one Art Carney often used in the movie "Roadie" starring Meatloaf. "Everything will take care of itself if you let it".

I think Burnham will happen. As coveted as he would be across the league the market reality based on numbers for other receivers and players I think put him in a place where best offer he might get elsewhere is something that the Lions can handle.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Hambone, I'm trying to take some comfort in your comments/views anticipating the Burnham negotiations ending well, but it is a little troubling to note Farhan's wording, characterizing the two sides as "currently not close". One would hope they wouldn't be too far apart any more at this point. You're right of course, there really isn't too much real wiggle room for him given the numbers already out there for other players of his ilk.

Interesting that none of our three "name" RBs have been re-signed yet (John Henry White, Brandon Rutley, Chris Rainey). I wonder if the Leos may be looking to save money with possible young upstarts. Seems there's always good RB potential among the American rookies. I'm not aware that National Jamel Lyles can regularly carry the mail. But some of you might know better.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:50 pm
Hambone, I'm trying to take some comfort in your comments/views anticipating the Burnham negotiations ending well, but it is a little troubling to note Farhan's wording, characterizing the two sides as "currently not close". One would hope they wouldn't be too far apart any more at this point. You're right of course, there really isn't too much real wiggle room for him given the numbers already out there for other players of his ilk.

Interesting that none of our three "name" RBs have been re-signed yet (John Henry White, Brandon Rutley, Chris Rainey). I wonder if the Leos may be looking to save money with possible young upstarts. Seems there's always good RB potential among the American rookies. I'm not aware that National Jamel Lyles can regularly carry the mail. But some of you might know better.
I hear you Ernie. I have no idea where BC is in terms of offers for Burnham. We know they are paying Durant, a NAT, $175K. We also know Derel Walker settled for the $180K range. It's hard to imagine much more than $200K being available for any receiver and just as hard to imagine the Lions being unwilling to give Burnham cloae enough to that to keep him.

As for RB I think White will probably return although I'm always concerned about his injury history. I don't at all mind trying to get younger there. I don't have much of an opinion about Lyles. He didn't play enough for that. What we do know though ia his rookie season ended with a very serious knee injury. Who knows how he will respond. In the meantime I like the cpmbination of him, Moore, Mackie and Villamizar for depth behind the main tailback. They give a lot of options for Campbell whether he wants to give the tailback a rest or take out the 5th receiver to go with a 2 back set.