2021 CFL free agency

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Murdoch wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:20 am
Hambone wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:14 am
I think I like that better than White or Gable.
Agree with an earlier post that mentioned needing two running backs in today's game and hope they at least bring back Rutley to help block. Shaq Cooper is more like Chris Rainey imo. A nice accessory but not essential.

Day is not over and more news to come.

Congrats on landing Lucky. I think you will like him. He is very disciplined in executing his assignments and will help the return team in multiple ways. Watching him in 2019 made me think he knew he was being filmed right to the whistle. No slacker issue here.

Not to be confused with Clermont as a blocker.
The Lions appear to be building their roster and ratio differently than in the recent past. They have strength at national RB/FB with Wayne Moore and David Mackie. I can see them both getting more reps as blocking backs and H-backs. Jevon Cottoy previously lined up as an H-back and was used as an extra blocker and fifth receiver.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:14 am
The Lions have landed dynamic former Winnipeg WR/KR Lucky Whitehead, according to director of U.S. scouting Ryan Rigmaiden. I mentioned Whitehead yesterday when the Lions signed Chris Rainey. To me, Whitehead is the biggest B.C. signing of free agency. He can be the main kick returner and fifth receiver.

Re: Rainey I wonder if that was premature speculation as opposed to fact. While TSN and 3DN have both reported it (3DN basically running with a TSN Farhan says he signed) there is no transaction showing on CFL.ca and he remains showing as a pending FA. Also of note while bclions.com already has posted announcements of signing Whitehead, Cooper and yesterday Doll there is no such announcement for Rainey. Whitehead and Cooper are both listed on BC's roster. Rainey isn't listed. It would appear at minimum his contract has yet to be submitted to the league office.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:42 am
Re: Rainey I wonder if that was premature speculation as opposed to fact. While TSN and 3DN have both reported it (3DN basically running with a TSN Farhan says he signed) there is no transaction showing on CFL.ca and he remains showing as a pending FA. Also of note while bclions.com already has posted announcements of signing Whitehead, Cooper and yesterday Doll there is no such announcement for Rainey. Whitehead and Cooper are both listed on BC's roster. Rainey isn't listed. It would appear at minimum his contract has yet to be submitted to the league office.
Good point. Between Whitehead and Rainey, I’d rather have Whitehead. I don’t think there’s room on the active roster for both.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

One of the biggest unsigned free agents appears to be former Rider weakside linebacker Cameron Judge, who has been linked to the Lions and others. I don’t see him coming to B.C. unless he can play middle linebacker. The Lions have already pencilled in Bo Lokombo at WILL and have 2020 first overall draft pick Jordan Williams, 2019 starter Isaiah Guzylak-Messam and veteran Adam Konar under contract.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:27 pm
One of the biggest unsigned free agents appears to be former Rider weakside linebacker Cameron Judge, who has been linked to the Lions and others. I don’t see him coming to B.C. unless he can play middle linebacker. The Lions have already pencilled in Bo Lokombo at WILL and have 2020 first overall draft pick Jordan Williams, 2019 starter Isaiah Guzylak-Messam and veteran Adam Konar under contract.
Judge would certainly solidify the idea of starting NATs at 2 LB spots. However I think he will be commanding a hefty price. That he hasn't returned to the Riders is a sign of how expensive he would be. It would be the sort of price where you don't get the guy without offering a locked in starting position to go with it.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Perhaps not a surprise Elimimian has announced his retirement.

From 3DN

4:04 p.m. ET — Absolute bombshell news as former Most Outstanding Player Solomon Elimimian has announced his retirement from football.

https://3downnation.com/2021/02/09/hang ... etirement/
Murdoch
All Star

Hambone wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:10 pm

From 3DN

4:04 p.m. ET — Absolute bombshell news as former Most Outstanding Player Solomon Elimimian has announced his retirement from football.

Choked up to see him go but what an awesome decision to retire on his own terms.
Dusty
Champion

Murdoch wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:40 pm
Hambone wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:10 pm

From 3DN

Choked up to see him go but what an awesome decision to retire on his own terms.
The thing about "retirement" is that he can always un-retire in the future should something come up, especially if he feels that he has a lot left in the tank....
OV - 54:40
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:27 pm

Can't see Judge making sense for the Lions, unless , Lokombo would go to safety, OR, they plan to have NIs start at both MLB & W-OLB - and then adding Judge to Lokombo, Konar & Williams might be pretty smart.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

3downnation.com has summarized every team's additions and departures on Day 1 of free agency:

Every team’s moves on day one of 2021 CFL free agency
The_Pauser
Legend

Chris Rainey does not appear on the BC Lions website, whereas the newest FA signings do.

My biggest concern right now is the D-Line. Losing Ryan Brown and Micah Johnson on the interior really hurts. We're looking very thin there right now going with pure rookies. This could be ugly if none of them perform.
Roar you Lions roar!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Interesting that the Lions lost David Foucault.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:58 pm
Interesting that the Lions lost David Foucault.
The Lions released Foucault at the opening of free agency last February. It's no surprise that he's been reunited with his old university coach, Danny Maciocia, who's now GM of the Als. It's just surprising that it took a full year.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Chris Rainey's signing has been officially confirmed by the Lions and listed on the transactions page at cfl.ca.

https://www.bclions.com/2021/02/09/rain ... um=twitter
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Rick Campbell and Neil McEvoy discuss free agency and preparations for training camp in this video from a team news conference posted on bclions.com.

https://www.bclions.com/2021/02/09/camp ... additions/