2021 CFL free agency

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Dusty
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:56 pm
Blitz wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:35 pm
In football, the same is true for defensive end play, cornerback, etc. - switching sides is a challenge. Now have you finally got rid of that right handed slapshot Hambone?
Panes of glass were never at risk to my shot Blitz even back when I was in leagues that allowed a slapshot. If I tried a slapshot today it would be ugly as my hockey since moving to PG in 95 has all been in Oldtimers leagues where drawing your stick back more than about 18" gets you a trip to the penalty box. I haven't been on the ice in 6 years mainly because I'm usually working out of town.
These comment made me smile. I grew up in North Van at a time when the only rinks were "Winter Clubs" and they were unaffordable to our family. I think the first time I was on skates was when I was in High School and our class went to the Forum for a skating party. in my early 20's, I joined some fellows from work in a Friday nite scrum at a Kensington rink in Burnaby where I took my first (and only) slapshot..... I was at the blue line as the puck came towards me.. I skated towards it with images of the puck screaming towards the net and rippling the twine as I leaped in joy.... I wound up and delivered one of the most anemic snapshots in history... only moving the puck slightly towards the face-off circle..... but what was spectacular was my follow through. I was told that when my feet left the ice I was almost perpendicular to the ice before I crashed down and smacked my head on the ice so badly I quite literally saw stars.... I became adept at using a "shovel shot" .... which was the same as a "shovel pass" except it doesn't have as much velocity.... LOL
Murdoch
All Star

BC reportedly open to signing Sol to a one day contract for him to retire as a Lion.

Make it a one year and they would be better off imo. Smudge the dates if they have to.
Dusty
Champion

While I am sorry to see that Sol is definite about retirement (I had hoped that he might reconsider during the season), I would very much want to attend and show appreciation at a retirement ceremony for Sol. A one day contract seems to be the standard way of retiring as a BC Lion these days.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Dusty wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:35 am
While I am sorry to see that Sol is definite about retirement (I had hoped that he might reconsider during the season), I would very much want to attend and show appreciation at a retirement ceremony for Sol. A one day contract seems to be the standard way of retiring as a BC Lion these days.
Personally I think the one day contract thing to retire as a member of whatever team the player played most of his career with is hokey but it's nonetheless common practice across all sports. But if it means something to the player then I'm totally supportive. Whether he actually signs one doesn't really make a difference one way or the other. SolE will get his day in the sun. At some point in the very near future it's guaranteed the club will be honoring him with a Solomon Elimimian night including enshrinement in the Lions Ring of Honour. I don't think it will happen in 2021 unless full attendance in BC Place is allowed as he deserves to be honoured in front of as full a house as possible.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Edmonton has signed former B.C. DE Mat Boesen, who started the first five games of 2019 and led all B.C. defensive linemen in tackles before suffering a knee injury and spending most of the season on the 6-game injured list.
Murdoch
All Star

Would like to give a little shout out for Tyrell Sutton who announced his retirement and added his name to the growing list.

Not sure how to take his "running backs are a dime a dozen" comments but always felt he was full value for his work on the field. Good blocker and a hard runner. I wish him well.
David
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:00 pm
Edmonton has signed former B.C. DE Mat Boesen, who started the first five games of 2019 and led all B.C. defensive linemen in tackles before suffering a knee injury and spending most of the season on the 6-game injured list.
Would like to have kept him as he showed good hustle as a rookie as we're not exactly flush with CFL experience along the D-line. Thought his pursuit angles weren't great at the time but the kid knew how to tackle. It will be interesting to see how he's developed (one of the very few even decent US free agents for the past few years :bang: ).

Anyway, not great to lose a prospect but I think we'll do okay at the DE position. We still have Casher and the club is probably high on some of their recruits. Bryant Jones looks interesting. He's posted some pretty impressive workout footage online. https://twitter.com/bryantjones64

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Argos have signed LB Henoc Muamba, the CFL's 2019 Most Outstanding Canadian.

https://www.tsn.ca/toronto-argonauts-to ... -1.1608507
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Former B.C. DE Jonathan Newsome has announced his retirement.