2021 CFL free agency

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Qman
Champion

OV - 54:40 wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:33 pm
Hambone wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:31 pm
I like it. I think all the guy needs is a chance to play. He's looked good at a variety of positions when he gets some reps. Physically he looks imposing yet athletic for such a big dude.
Knevel is an OT by trade - tall (mark of almost all pro OTs these days) & massive and that was his experience in Div I ball, no?

Doubt he is going to get to start at OT for the Lions if it is an import only position; maybe he can make the transition to be a good CFL OG, but he has lots of competition there; could be valued as a back-up OT they have confidence in, plus could back-up on the interior too, if he can't win a starter job there ?

Matthews & Figueroa at OT; Godber, Chungh & Steward in the interior + Knevel as a versatile depth guy = sounds like the makings of the best O-line in the CFL, IMO.
you need to be elite to play tackle at pro level.

most canadians play tackle in college (just because they are the best on their team), but aren't elite at pro level
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Hambone wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:09 am
One can't rely totally on the FA Tracker as it seems some transactions (extensions, releases) that are listed on the Transactions page don't get updated on the FA Tracker. Victor Gamboa still shows as a pending FA 4 weeks after his extension was listed in the Transactions page. Seems to especially have been a problem between Christmas and New Years when the CFL office likely had only a skeleton crew in the office. Gamboa was listed as signed on Dec 29. Edmonton signed Vontae Diggs, Sean Whyte and Tevaun Smith to new deals on Dec 31 per the Transactions page. All still show as pending FAs.
Never let it be said the squeaky wheel doesn't get the grease or that CFL.ca doesn't pay attention to questions. Yesterday I decided to reach out to them through the website suggesting they review their FA Tracker because the aforementioned players were still showing as pending FA's despite having signed new deals back in December. Today I see they corrected the FA Tracker to reflect the signings of Gamboa as well as 5 EFC players who signed on Dec 31.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Now if you could please while you're at it reach out to the Lions brass regards "updating" (so to speak) their free agent signings, i.e. them putting pen to paper in regards to BB16 I will say you should rightly consider your week's work done!

Seriously though, thanks -- nicely done. Attention to detail can never be overrated IMO.

(BTW, speaking of Burnham, I see the 3DownN list of current top 100 CFL players has just now listed Burnham at #6. I can't disagree with such a rating, approximately anyhow. Not written in stone, but good for discussion. FWIW, they've listed Reilly at #17.)
Hambone
Hall of Famer

maxlion wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:40 am
Elizondo looks like a natural fit for Edmonton. Maybe even an upgrade on Milanovich.

Re Burnham, I wonder if Campbell prefers Ellingson and so is not too concerned about letting Burnham walk. Ellingson was one of the most consistent receivers in the league during their time together. People like to surround themselves with people they know and trust.
You don't have to worry about that "threat" now. Ellingson has extended with Edmonton.
https://www.tsn.ca/edmonton-football-te ... -1.1585330

Personally I never was concerned about that. I'd think Campbell is bright enough to know how important a face-of-the-franchise player like Burnham is to the Lions' market and fanbase. If he wasn't aware I'm sure McEvoy, Simon and Chayka would have filled him in. There is not one single Lions fan who would ever accept Ellingson as an equal replacement. IMO the only legit reasons for letting Burnham walk are that:
a) they simply cannot come to terms on a deal - possible - SMS and getting to cap floor could be a factor
b) Burnham simply doesn't want to be here any more - impossible to believe given how tight he and Reilly are
c) Campbell and Maksymic don't think he would fit in the offence or otherwise for some reason don't want him - they'd have to be ignoring Reilly's opinion if they came to that conclusion. There's zero signs Burnham is anything other than a stellar team mate and true pro.

To me it would have been a fool's errand for Campbell to want Ellingson over Burnham and let Burnham go to free agency while at the same time having zero guarantees of landing Ellingson. He could easily find himself a better deal elsewhere. Remember Ellingson left Campbell to follow his QB Harris to Edmonton. He very much wanted to return to EFC and felt they'd get it done. EFC signing Walker did catch him off guard putting that in doubt but they persevered and got it done. I don't think any of what has been going on in Edmonton has changed BC's desire to sign Burnham. They want him just as badly today as they did when they were allowed to start signing players again back in early December.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Ellingson signing for $155,000 puts more downward pressure on Burnham. With Brandon Banks taking an undisclosed pay cut from his previous $195,000 contract in Hamilton, Derel Walker signing for $180,000 in Edmonton, Ellingson re-signing for $155,000 in Edmonton and Lemar Durant re-upping for $175,000 in B.C., there's a pretty narrow salary range for Burnham to fit in.
maxlion
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:38 am
maxlion wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:40 am
Elizondo looks like a natural fit for Edmonton. Maybe even an upgrade on Milanovich.

Re Burnham, I wonder if Campbell prefers Ellingson and so is not too concerned about letting Burnham walk. Ellingson was one of the most consistent receivers in the league during their time together. People like to surround themselves with people they know and trust.
You don't have to worry about that "threat" now. Ellingson has extended with Edmonton.
https://www.tsn.ca/edmonton-football-te ... -1.1585330

Personally I never was concerned about that. I'd think Campbell is bright enough to know how important a face-of-the-franchise player like Burnham is to the Lions' market and fanbase. If he wasn't aware I'm sure McEvoy, Simon and Chayka would have filled him in. There is not one single Lions fan who would ever accept Ellingson as an equal replacement. IMO the only legit reasons for letting Burnham walk are that:
a) they simply cannot come to terms on a deal - possible - SMS and getting to cap floor could be a factor
b) Burnham simply doesn't want to be here any more - impossible to believe given how tight he and Reilly are
c) Campbell and Maksymic don't think he would fit in the offence or otherwise for some reason don't want him - they'd have to be ignoring Reilly's opinion if they came to that conclusion. There's zero signs Burnham is anything other than a stellar team mate and true pro.

To me it would have been a fool's errand for Campbell to want Ellingson over Burnham and let Burnham go to free agency while at the same time having zero guarantees of landing Ellingson. He could easily find himself a better deal elsewhere. Remember Ellingson left Campbell to follow his QB Harris to Edmonton. He very much wanted to return to EFC and felt they'd get it done. EFC signing Walker did catch him off guard putting that in doubt but they persevered and got it done. I don't think any of what has been going on in Edmonton has changed BC's desire to sign Burnham. They want him just as badly today as they did when they were allowed to start signing players again back in early December.
Those are all good points. Production-wise, Ellingson and Burnham are pretty close, but Burnham is a bit younger, a bit more dynamic, and has the connection to the market. If nothing else, Ellingson's re-signing takes away that option and puts a little bit more pressure on BC to get a deal done.

I am a bit surprised at the extent of the reductions in salary being negotiated across the league given that the salary floor is not that much lower than the ceiling (and not all teams are likely to spend the minimum). I suppose that the higher minimum salary must be having a big effect on this.
Murdoch
All Star

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:28 am
Ellingson signing for $155,000 puts more downward pressure on Burnham. With Brandon Banks taking an undisclosed pay cut from his previous $195,000 contract in Hamilton, Derel Walker signing for $180,000 in Edmonton, Ellingson re-signing for $155,000 in Edmonton and Lemar Durant re-upping for $175,000 in B.C., there's a pretty narrow salary range for Burnham to fit in.
Lemar Durant being the "one of these things is not like the other" in that group. Could be that he is.

Nic Demsky is in a similar situation. I like Anthony Coombs better at the price.

Ellingson back to Edm makes for a crowded lineup. Ricky Collins and Rodney Smith are both underrated. Armanti Edwards can play QB. Walker and Ellingson make 5 good ones. Probably two I am missing.

They will say his health is iffy but anyone looking for a money receiver would be happy with Eric Rogers imo. We'll see once teams are allowed to release news of the tampering they have been doing. Almost seems like there will be a season.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Murdoch wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:03 pm
Lemar Durant being the "one of these things is not like the other" in that group. Could be that he is.

Nic Demsky is in a similar situation. I like Anthony Coombs better at the price.

Ellingson back to Edm makes for a crowded lineup. Ricky Collins and Rodney Smith are both underrated. Armanti Edwards can play QB. Walker and Ellingson make 5 good ones. Probably two I am missing.

They will say his health is iffy but anyone looking for a money receiver would be happy with Eric Rogers imo. We'll see once teams are allowed to release news of the tampering they have been doing. Almost seems like there will be a season.
Watch for Collins to be released before the weekend is over. Somebody over on RF posted a John Hodge tweet to the effect of it was no coincidence that EFC got Ellingson done before Collins collected a $33000 roster bonus on Monday.

We might see a little flurry of releases this weekend as Feb 1st is a fairly commonly used date for roster bonuses. We could also see some guys accepting renegotiated contracts before they get released to save those bonuses. Hello Aaron Grymes.
OV - 54:40
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:49 pm
Murdoch wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:03 pm

Watch for Collins to be released before the weekend is over. Somebody over on RF posted a John Hodge tweet to the effect of it was no coincidence that EFC got Ellingson done before Collins collected a $33000 roster bonus on Monday.

We might see a little flurry of releases this weekend as Feb 1st is a fairly commonly used date for roster bonuses. We could also see some guys accepting renegotiated contracts before they get released to save those bonuses. Hello Aaron Grymes.
I guess Collins could be the odd man out in EE land if he won't take a pay cut; and with Walker, Ellingson and Armanti Edwards (a very solid receiver IMO) in place, maybe they have no room for him? They did go with 3 imports and 2 NIs in the 5 pack last year, but IMO it should be very tempting to retain Ricky Collins - an excellent all-around pass catcher IMO, and try to go 4 imports in the 5 pack; maybe vet Edwards could be a DI (he can return punts too), and they could go 4 imports part-time in their receiving corps ?
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Collins had a very nice breakout year in Edmonton in 2019. In BC the year before he was just very, very average. Seemed inconsistent to me. Occasionally a flash but for the most part meh. Good on him for getting it together in Edmonton.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Argos have just made another move to acquire negotiation rights for pending FAs. They just sent a 2021 4th and a 3rd round Global draft pick to Calgary for the rights to DE Cordarro Law, WR Eric Rogers and DB Robertson Daniel.
OV - 54:40
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:47 pm
Collins had a very nice breakout year in Edmonton in 2019. In BC the year before he was just very, very average. Seemed inconsistent to me. Occasionally a flash but for the most part meh. Good on him for getting it together in Edmonton.
I was very impressed by Collins when i first saw him play a bit for the Riders - couldn't understand why they would let him go; he then bounced around and did not much (Ticats & Lions ?); but he proved himself last season IMO.
David
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:47 pm
Yea, it's odd that. When he left B.C., I thought no big whoop, he dropped a lot of passes. But he seemed very sure-handed in Edmonton last year and finally got his game together at 27.

As for the post earlier suggesting that Lamar is over-paid at $175,000 per, let's not forget that he was on pace for 1,000 yards had he not been injured in Week 17 (playing just 15 games) and had excellent chemistry with Reilly. He was also our nominee for Outstanding Canadian, setting career highs for receptions (57), yards (810) and touchdowns (5).

Part of that salary is the fact that he is a big, strong target on an upward trajectory and is Canadian to boot, giving us options elsewhere. Slightly higher than I would have expected, but not by much (maybe 10 grand).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:09 pm
Yea, it's odd that. When he left B.C., I thought no big whoop, he dropped a lot of passes. But he seemed very sure-handed in Edmonton last year and finally got his game together at 27.

As for the post earlier suggesting that Lamar is over-paid at $175,000 per, let's not forget that was on pace for 1,000 yards had he not been injured in Week 17 (playing just 15 games) and had excellent chemistry with Reilly. He was also our nominee for Outstanding Canadian, setting career highs for receptions (57), yards (810) and touchdowns (5).

Part of that salary is the fact that he is a big, strong target on an upward trajectory and is Canadian to boot, giving us options elsewhere. Slightly higher than I would have expected, but not by much (maybe 10 grand).

DH :cool:
I had a theory when I was involved in an NHL keeper pool. I noticed that a lot of players really seemed to find their game in their 4th season. When I was doing my research for the auction part of our draft day I'd always keep an eye out for players going into their 4th year that I thought might be in for a breakout year. Maybe that applied to Collins. It was his 4th CFL season in 2019. Of course Durant shoots a bit of a hole in that theory as it was his 5th year. Slower learner I guess. :wink:
Murdoch
All Star

Hambone wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:48 pm
Argos have just made another move to acquire negotiation rights for pending FAs. They just sent a 2021 4th and a 3rd round Global draft pick to Calgary for the rights to DE Cordarro Law, WR Eric Rogers and DB Robertson Daniel.
Ryan Dinwiddie behind all this I am guessing. All 3 will play. Wonder if they go after Arbuckle now.