2021 CFL draft

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Reg18 wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:38 pm
This is shaspingbup tpo be a very competitive camp. Everywhere thgey look they are finding interesting talent. I expect one of the international players to make the roster and the canadian draft quality looks alkso promissing and a lot of other signing look good also.
Not one, but two of the global players WILL make the roster because there has to be 2 on the active roster. Question is will they get more than the half dozen game reps the global receivers got over 18 games in 2019.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Dusty
Champion

I think that the use of global players is evolving a bit. For example, using GP as a punter seems to be picking up speed with the Lions (and other teams). Perhaps using one of the active GP's on the kick return team will be a benefit to the ratio issues. Being math challenged, I don't comprehend the play-by-play issues with the ratio, but if it gives some flexibility in that situation, that's a good thing.

In 2019..... yes, it seems strange to call 2019 "last year"... the GP's were receivers IIRC... that may not be the case this year.....
Reg18
Starter

I watched some video on Bandy and he is one mean dude! My idea of a purrfect O lineman powerful swatting defensive ends like they were flies. The NFL might want him. Hes big athletic and mean. If we can get him we should.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Matt Baker chats with Neil McEvoy about the imminent (next week) CFL draft: https://www.bclions.com/2021/04/28/tack ... il-mcevoy/
cms22
Starter

draft projections on Chuba Hubbard much more pessimistic than i thought, and i think more pessimistic than 6 months ago.

apparently, didn't do much pass blocking (or wasn't good at it?) or pass catching at OkSU.........

such a trade-off on college choice..... go to team where you get alot of carries and can be "the man" vs. NFL development but less fulfilling a gameday experience.......... players are so competitive that i think they go for best program that offers scholarship and they can get tons of carries.

so i wonder if Chuba comes more into play in CFL draft......... i don't remember though that many canadian players who hung around NFL taxi squads for a few years and then came and had good career in canada. i think they get on to other stuff. often want to stay in the USA.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

cms22 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:35 am
draft projections on Chuba Hubbard much more pessimistic than i thought, and i think more pessimistic than 6 months ago.

apparently, didn't do much pass blocking (or wasn't good at it?) or pass catching at OkSU.........

such a trade-off on college choice..... go to team where you get alot of carries and can be "the man" vs. NFL development but less fulfilling a gameday experience.......... players are so competitive that i think they go for best program that offers scholarship and they can get tons of carries.

so i wonder if Chuba comes more into play in CFL draft......... i don't remember though that many canadian players who hung around NFL taxi squads for a few years and then came and had good career in canada. i think they get on to other stuff. often want to stay in the USA.
I don't think there's much doubt he will get drafted. When he gets drafted will factor in on CFL draft positioning. Witg the NFL being firmly entrenched in RB by committee he could still manage to bounce around down there for 3 years or so before sucking it up and coming north.
cms22
Starter

i saw that Holland went early 2nd round. and Palmer went in the 3rd round. only reason i know Palmer went there (77th i believe) is because Mel Kiper didn't like the pick.

but didn't notice other canadian names............

that DT from Central Michigan doesn't seem to have much NFL interest. a bit surprising as he was a sack a game this year and i think he had an offer from Alabama out of Arizona JC... i think he transferred to CMU from a much bigger school that he went to from JC.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

cms22 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:53 pm
i saw that Holland went early 2nd round. and Palmer went in the 3rd round. only reason i know Palmer went there (77th i believe) is because Mel Kiper didn't like the pick.

but didn't notice other canadian names............

that DT from Central Michigan doesn't seem to have much NFL interest. a bit surprising as he was a sack a game this year and i think he had an offer from Alabama out of Arizona JC... i think he transferred to CMU from a much bigger school that he went to from JC.
DB Benjamin St-Juste went 3 picks before Palmer. In terms of the final CFL Scouting Bureau rankings that's players ranked 1, 3 & 6 already drafted by NFL clubs.

#6 Chuba Hubbard was pegged for rounds 3-4 and just went mid 4th at #126 to Carolina

#2 Alaric Jackson was expected to go somewhere range of rounds 3-4 per Draftscout.
#4 Amen Ogbongbemiga is projected for rounds 5-6.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Chuba Hubbard was taken in the fourth round of the NFL draft (126th overall) by Carolina.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Tack on early priority UDFA signings and the top 7 players in the final CFL Scouting Bureau rankings plus #16 ranked Labelle are now drafted or signed to NFL deals.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hamilton takes Boston College TE Jake Burt first overall. Here's a link to the draft tracker at cfl.ca:

https://www.cfl.ca/draft-tracker/2021/
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Saskatchewan took DB/LB Nelson Lokombo, Bo’s brother, second overall. I was hoping he would be available for the Lions at No. 4.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions selected North Carolina State DL Daniel Joseph fourth overall. That's a position where they have 15 Americans under contract but only 2 nationals, 2019 draft pick Charles Nwoye and 2020 draft pick Court Hammond.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions picked Iowa OL Alaric Jackson in the second round, 15th overall.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions picked UBC LB Ben Hladik from Vernon in the third round. He put up some impressive numbers at his pro day workout. He should be able to contribute right away on special teams.

JC Abbott of 3downnation.com had him ranked as the second best linebacker in the draft. Instead he was the fifth linebacker drafted, and second of three UBC linebackers taken in the first four rounds.
2. Ben Hladik, UBC Thunderbirds (Vernon, BC)

Only two words can describe Ben Hladik: physical freak.

At six-foot-four and 239 pounds, he put up 29 reps on the bench, ran a 4.66 forty, jumped 10-feet-seven-inches and showed off his bend with the devil’s three-cone with a scary 6.66 seconds.

That athleticism translates to the field where he’s made 30.5 tackles for loss in 28 games played for the Thunderbirds despite what some consider a disappointing 2019 season. While his movement skills could allow him to excel at linebacker, his get-off and ability to dip and bend could see him take reps at defensive end as well.