Randy Ambrosie optimistic about 2021

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

BC 1988
Legend

https://3downnation.com/2021/03/16/cflp ... istraction
The CFLPA finally responded this afternoon about the UFPA.
Reg18
Starter

Today's announcement from premier Horgan is another step forward some talk about outdoor summer sports being allowed I am waiting with great anticipation
BC 1988
Legend

Today's COVID-19 BC Health Update had appearances from multiple govt officials. Basically, President Biden announces that the US will allow Canada to use a huge amount of Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine, and it looks like Ambrosie's optimism of "a full season" seems possible.

Now all the Federal and Provincial govts have to do is sell Canadians on taking it (after the chequered history of the testing phase).
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

BC 1988 wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:58 pm

Now all the Federal and Provincial govts have to do is sell Canadians on taking it (after the chequered history of the testing phase).
Unlike the wingnuts south of the 49th I don't think there will be much problem "selling" Canadians on getting vaccinated. I have not yet met a person who is thinking anything other than how fast can I get it? And the sooner the better.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

BC 1988 wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:58 pm

Today's COVID-19 BC Health Update had appearances from multiple govt officials. Basically, President Biden announces that the US will allow Canada to use a huge amount of Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine, and it looks like Ambrosie's optimism of "a full season" seems possible.

The new B.C. vaccine timeline unveiled today calls for everyone over age 40 to be eligible for vaccination by the end of May and everyone from age 18 to 40 by the end of June. Other provinces have announced similar timelines, with some suggesting everyone might be able to get immunized by mid-May.
BC 1988
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:09 pm
Unlike the wingnuts south of the 49th I don't think there will be much problem "selling" Canadians on getting vaccinated. I have not yet met a person who is thinking anything other than how fast can I get it? And the sooner the better.
As will I. I am in the 59-55 age group with no pre-existing medical conditions (that were among the concerns initially attached to Oxford/AstraZeneca). The other negative publicity that the govts have to counter was that it had a lower effectiveness rating than the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines.
BC 1988
Legend

The issue of restoring confidence in the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine continues.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/astrazen ... -1.5957462
The potential (blood clot) link could have massive implications on the rollout of the vaccine in Canada and other countries, after use of the shot was halted in parts of Europe over safety concerns in connection with the adverse events last week.
Health officials now face the unenviable task of either adjusting the rollout or trying to restore confidence in the shot, at a time when a variant-driven third wave is unfolding and many vulnerable Canadians are vastly underprotected from COVID-19.
https://www.iheartradio.ca/610cktb/news ... 1.14819780
Ontario Health Minister Christine Elliott says she will take an Oxford-AstraZeneca shot on camera to encourage others to get the vaccine.
Elliott says hesitancy around the life-saving shot is unfortunate.
Reports of blood clots among recipients in Europe had sparked concerns but the European Medicines Agency has since concluded the vaccine did not raise the overall risk of clots.
Elliott says she's happy to take the dose on camera if it can convince one other person to do so.
Quebec's health minister was publicly vaccinated with the Oxford-AstraZeneca shot last week.
Elliott's pledge comes as the province is offering that vaccine to people aged 60 and older in pharmacies in certain regions.
BC 1988
Legend

I watched the BC Health COVID-19 update for today, and Dr. Henry did not have to directly address refuting concerns on the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine (unlike in Ontario and Quebec). There were a couple of expressions of outrage from callers with questions about people younger than their age groups getting their shots early (handled well by Dr. Henry, imo).

This video (that has been posted a few times over on RF) is excellent in providing context for the comparative efficacy rates for the various vaccines. When and where the trials were done is the main reason for the differences.
Murdoch
All Star

CFL asking for another 20% from the players to start the season on time seems like a bit too much imo and not sure why they are not going back to TSN and asking for increased revenue seeing that many will be watching from home.

They whine about the small market but don't mention the interest levels from south of the border when players like John Manziel come north. Guaranteed they all knew he was playing in Canada and many tuned in to see. The players all bring followers from their home states and schools so to draw a line at the border is self serving to an extent.

Not impressed.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Murdoch wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:08 am
CFL asking for another 20% from the players to start the season on time seems like a bit too much imo and not sure why they are not going back to TSN and asking for increased revenue seeing that many will be watching from home.
I suppose that would depend on the charity of the advertisers who buy the commercial space on CFL telecasts. If they aren't willing to ante up any more than their contracts call for why should TSN pay more. It's really the advertisers who pay the CFL. There is a direct relationship between the advertising dollars generated for the broadcasts and the value of the TV deal. Given the negative financial impact of Covid on thousands of companies and corporations many could well be looking to reduce their cost of advertising as a cost-cutting measure. It's not out of the realm of possibilities that some CFL on TSN advertisers are coming to TSN asking them to take a haircut on ad rates.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:08 pm
The issue of restoring confidence in the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine continues.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/astrazen ... -1.5957462
The potential (blood clot) link could have massive implications on the rollout of the vaccine in Canada and other countries, after use of the shot was halted in parts of Europe over safety concerns in connection with the adverse events last week.
Health officials now face the unenviable task of either adjusting the rollout or trying to restore confidence in the shot, at a time when a variant-driven third wave is unfolding and many vulnerable Canadians are vastly underprotected from COVID-19.
https://www.iheartradio.ca/610cktb/news ... 1.14819780
Ontario Health Minister Christine Elliott says she will take an Oxford-AstraZeneca shot on camera to encourage others to get the vaccine.
Elliott says hesitancy around the life-saving shot is unfortunate.
Reports of blood clots among recipients in Europe had sparked concerns but the European Medicines Agency has since concluded the vaccine did not raise the overall risk of clots.
Elliott says she's happy to take the dose on camera if it can convince one other person to do so.
Quebec's health minister was publicly vaccinated with the Oxford-AstraZeneca shot last week.
Elliott's pledge comes as the province is offering that vaccine to people aged 60 and older in pharmacies in certain regions.
There was a similar kind of problem with the Polio Vaccine in early days. It seemed that some recipients of the vaccine were developing the disease rather than being protected by it. At the time there was much discussion about its safety and whether or not it should be stopped. The decision was to press on with vaccinations. Had the naysayers won the day at the time, they might never have found out that the problem being reported was attributed to a producer of the vaccine (in the US) that was cutting corners in the production of it. The AZO issue could be something simple as a bad batch. I'm not a conspiracy theorist but it seems that Europe had time to pause, reassess and recommence use of the vaccine but the US won't approve until April? I have some doubts as to why it is seemingly taking them so long to get on board when it seems that most of the developed world has done so.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
BC 1988
Legend

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:52 am
I'm not a conspiracy theorist but it seems that Europe had time to pause, reassess and recommence use of the vaccine but the US won't approve until April? I have some doubts as to why it is seemingly taking them so long to get on board when it seems that most of the developed world has done so.
Neither am I. The situation in parts of Europe with lack of confidence in O/AZ is a lot worse
https://www.modernhealthcare.com/supply ... eneca-shot
than in Canada where some people will take whatever they can get first. Hopefully most Canadians feel this way.
https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/kingston-phar ... -1.5359875
If I had a choice I would take the one-shot Johnson & Johnson because it's just one shot. That's looking unlikely with production delays.
Murdoch
All Star

Hambone wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:15 am
Given the negative financial impact of Covid on thousands of companies and corporations many could well be looking to reduce their cost of advertising as a cost-cutting measure.
So the story goes but reality is the big corporations are flying. Bell Media and TSN no exception to that rule. No tag days ahead for those boys.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Murdoch wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:06 pm
Hambone wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:15 am
Given the negative financial impact of Covid on thousands of companies and corporations many could well be looking to reduce their cost of advertising as a cost-cutting measure.
So the story goes but reality is the big corporations are flying. Bell Media and TSN no exception to that rule. No tag days ahead for those boys.
Many recently laid off TSN employees might beg to differ.
Murdoch
All Star

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:47 pm
Many recently laid off TSN employees might beg to differ.
When they have no competition they can do as they please. The layoffs were to improve efficiency and profitability. Nothing to do with staving off bankruptcy.

Same idea as cutting salaries by 20%. They want more is the bottom line.

Did the stations go off the air or are they just using a national feed?