Post David Braley era - what comes next?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Interesting interview with Farhan on TSN1040 (Donnie and Moj).

Farhan talks about potential future owners, the club's demographic, and his thoughts on a new stadium for the Lions.

https://post.futurimedia.com/ckstam/pla ... 27726.html

DH :cool:

Mod Edit - out of respect for Mr. Braley, I have moved my own post from "RIP David Braley" into this new one. So anything that's not a tribute to him but instead related to marketing or the future of the club would go here. Thanks! DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Farhan mentioned Kerfoot still owning the land for his once proposed downtown stadium but he actually sold it earlier this year:

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/vanc ... al-2371298

Didn't realize Braley purchased the Lions after learning CBC was going to bail on its TV contract if Vancouver wasn't part of the equation. His loyalty to the franchise and the league for the next 24 years was remarkable. He was old school in some key areas like the belief in blackouts and marketing but I can't think of one time in the Braley era when the Lions couldn't "afford" to sign or re-sign a key free agent from Allen, to Dickenson, to Lulay to Reilly. It was always the GM's call.

Mixed feelings on who the next owners should be. Longtime and passionate club supporters like Woodall and Keith and their consortium ownership plan or, if they are still interested, the Aquillinis with less passion but deeper pockets during the league's uncertain times and a stellar marketing team already in place.
David
Team Captain

I didn't want to hijack the "RIP David Braley" thread but it is very important to talk about where the club goes now - with ownership, marketing strategies, etc. This 10-minute piece with Tom Mayenknecht is a "must listen" for any BC Lions fan. I don't agree with all points (e.g., changing the mark and keeping the existing logo as a heritage brand) but there's no question they need to cast a wider net for fans.

https://post.futurimedia.com/ckstam/pla ... 27751.html

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Good discussion points, and they've all been debated before on this board and elsewhere. We still don't know what changes the CFL will make to its business model as a result of the pandemic and the effects of the general decline in live spectator sports viewership. It's a new world, and new ideas are needed to make the Lions, the CFL and other leagues viable.

The most common question I'm asked by friends during a normal football season is "How are the Lions doing this year?' Most people care about the brand but few follow the team closely. I'm the same way with the Canucks, Whitecaps, Canadians and other local teams. I know they're there but I don't pay much attention unless they're in the playoffs, as the Canucks were this year. Based on these observations and contrary to conventional wisdom, my conclusion is that winning doesn't necessarily sell tickets, except in the playoffs. Those of us who attend live sports events do so for the excitement of being part of a crowd and contributing to the stadium atmosphere. That's where the Lions need to direct their marketing resources. There are passionate fans in the stadium and the stadium atmosphere has been greatly enhanced through music and other audiovisual productions. There just aren't enough fans to enhance the atmosphere and give the appearance of being a popular event, especially to television viewers. No one goes to a Canadians game because the team has a winning record or star players. They go to be part of a fun, affordable live event.

The Lions have an excellent social media team that has filled the void in local media market with visually appealing and informative content that appeals to a wide range of fans, including diehards who miss the days when local beat writers covered the team daily. The tools are in place to elevate their reach to a broader audience with some strategic marketing. There's nothing wrong with B.C. Place as a venue that a few thousand more fans won't fix.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

For what it's worth, Francesco Aquilini says the Canucks still aren't interested in buying the Lions.

BC 1988
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:41 pm
For what it's worth, Francesco Aquilini says the Canucks still aren't interested in buying the Lions.

"...at the moment" could be significant. With the current situation, who knows how long it will before there will be any attendance revenue to speak of in any sports? (10-15% socially distanced seating is more trouble than it's worth). Also will the CFL even exist as it is now next season? Aquilini is smart enough to know any possible franchise value has nowhere to go but down for the time being.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

BC 1988 wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:39 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:41 pm

"...at the moment" could be significant. With the current situation, who knows how long it will before there will be any attendance revenue to speak of in any sports? (10-15% socially distanced seating is more trouble than it's worth). Also will the CFL even exist as it is now next season? Aquilini is smart enough to know any possible franchise value has nowhere to go but down for the time being.
Between the Canucks, Warriors, Titans, Utica Comets and of course Rogers Arena itself "at the moment" Aquilini has far bigger Covid fish to fry than adding the Lions to his plate. Maybe if the club were to fall into his lap at a greatly reduced price like Air Canada just scooped up Transat for he would jump at it. Otherwise I think he will focus on steering Canuck Sports & Entertainment through the Covid minefield.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Great segment here with former longtime beat writer Lowell Ullrich joining Sekeres and Price. God I miss his coverage, even more so in these uncertain times for the team and league. LU is very concerned about the Leos’ future:
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040 ... -1.1545115
Murdoch
All Star

Interesting that Mr Braley was involved in returning the Tiger Cats to community ownership many years ago so that there is a precedent. This is my hope for the Lions.

The other news to me that the Lions did not pay rent emphasizes the importance of the team to BC Place. Splitting the revenue pie between the two entities is where the trouble begins. Anyone coming in with ideas of making money will likely want a bigger piece of the pie than the Lions were getting.

Community ownership has many advantages providing it can escape being hijacked for self interest by a few.

It will be interesting to hear the details of Mr. Braley's plan when they become available.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Murdoch wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:45 am
Interesting that Mr Braley was involved in returning the Tiger Cats to community ownership many years ago so that there is a precedent. This is my hope for the Lions.

The other news to me that the Lions did not pay rent emphasizes the importance of the team to BC Place. Splitting the revenue pie between the two entities is where the trouble begins. Anyone coming in with ideas of making money will likely want a bigger piece of the pie than the Lions were getting.

Community ownership has many advantages providing it can escape being hijacked for self interest by a few.

It will be interesting to hear the details of Mr. Braley's plan when they become available.
I like the idea of local ownership, perhaps a consortium of investors with deep pockets and deep connections to the business community, but I don't think traditional community ownership is viable in a pandemic economy. I understand privately owned teams were willing to play a shortened season at a loss in 2020 but community owned teams didn't have the resources to sustain losses of up to $10 million without government backing. Next year may present a similar financial strain and it's not all smooth sailing after that.
BC 1988
Legend

Great interview right now with Dave Naylor on 1040 Sekeres & Price. Look it up when it's posted on the site (late in Hour 2 if they don't post a unique segment). Covers Naylor's take on the past as well as details of David Braley's Last Will and Testament with regard to the Lions.

It has been a very good 4 days of coverage. (No doubt very little Canucks going on right now helps with that).

Edit: It's already up
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040 ... -1.1545570
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:53 pm
I like the idea of local ownership, perhaps a consortium of investors with deep pockets and deep connections to the business community, but I don't think traditional community ownership is viable in a pandemic economy. I understand privately owned teams were willing to play a shortened season at a loss in 2020 but community owned teams didn't have the resources to sustain losses of up to $10 million without government backing. Next year may present a similar financial strain and it's not all smooth sailing after that.
A big difference between private and community ownership is that a privately owned team has ownership that can, if they are willing, open up their personal piggy banks to inject working capital to keep the bills paid. Community owner teams don't have that luxury. They have stabilization or contingency funds to help out during rainy days. When those funds dry up they are in deep kaka. Whatever the Esks, Riders and Bombers had in their respective stabilization funds could easily be all but wiped out already if losses have hit the $10M range.
Murdoch
All Star

I can't say what goes on in Sask and Edm but there hasn't been a cloudy day around the Bomber office in a long time. There is no expense they cannot afford.

Primary reason imo is that they were able to eliminate Winnipeg Enterprises which was the civic corporation similar to Pavco and the Bombers as the only tenant took over the duties of stadium management. I believe the Bombers actually book revenue from the rental of the stadium (without ever having paid for it) which I think to be the reason behind the soccer team. Wade handles all the concessions and staffing as well. Milo Minderbinder didn't have anything on Wade.

It doesn't have to be as twisted as the Bomber scenario and it could be so much better. Make it about the fans and they will come. Make it about the Canadian Mafia and no one gives a shtt. Again imo.

Judging by Naylors comments it sounds like Rick Lelacheur is a man of considerable influence at this time. Don't know much about him but would rather have Wally in that seat right now. It is what it is.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Murdoch wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:02 am
Judging by Naylors comments it sounds like Rick Lelacheur is a man of considerable influence at this time. Don't know much about him but would rather have Wally in that seat right now. It is what it is.
Rick is a business guy. Wally is a football guy. I'd rather have a business guy as president than a football guy with no more than layman's business acumen to apply to key areas like marketing, ticketing, financial operations, dealing with sponsorships, merchandising and communications.
Murdoch
All Star

Lelacheur has only been with the Lions a couple of years. Two years of chaos imo with the transfer of power. I call it monkey business. I would have liked to see what they had to show on the field but they got the free pass on that.

We'll see what happens.