RIP David Braley

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

Via Tom Mayenecht on Twitter:

David Braley made the CFL a huge part of his life. And he was a huge part of the CFL. Especially the BC Lions. #RIPdavidbraley

More sad news the Lions and CFL simply don't need right now. The man provided this franchise decades of stability. So what's next with the club basically being unsellable at this time.

Official club release: https://www.bclions.com/2020/10/26/lion ... id-braley/
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Sad day for the B.C. Lions. Braley presided over the greatest era in franchise history, and was always a staunch CFL supporter in good times and bad. As Jeff Paterson noted, some would say he held on to the Lions too long but that discussion can be left for another day.

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Official statement from bclions.com, with comments from Rick LeLacheur:

LIONS SADDENED BY PASSING OF OWNER AND CFL GIANT, DAVID BRALEY
aklawitter
All Star

The CFL might not ever come back in its current form, but it definitely wouldn't have even been in its current form without Mr Braley
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Agreed, the Lions and the CFL in general can never thank the man enough for his support over the years. It may be a long time before we see his like again. My condolences to his family and friends. He was a great man.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
David
Team Captain

In the past, I have been critical of Mr. Braley's stubbornness in holding onto the club. Guilty as charged. But today is about celebrating his life and achievements, and his devotion to the Lions and CFL needs to be recognized. I am grateful that he has provided years of stability and am thinking of his family and friends at this time. RIP.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
BC 1988
Legend

David wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:12 pm
In the past, I have been critical of Mr. Braley's stubbornness in holding onto the club. Guilty as charged. But today is about celebrating his life and achievements, and his devotion to the Lions and CFL needs to be recognized. I am grateful that he has provided years of stability and am thinking of his family and friends at this time. RIP.

DH :cool:
Agree fully, without him in the CFL in the '90s, there would not have been the same stability. TSN 1040 has a good deal of coverage--Lui Passaglia is on right now.

(Time to change your sig).
Dusty
Champion

I met Mr. Braley once and had the opportunity to personally thank him for the support he gave the BC Lions and the CFL. I'm glad that I took the time to do so.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Mr. Braley was one of the great champions of CFL football in my lifetime. I'm personally grateful for his hand in keeping our Lions alive-and-kicking, and appreciated his philanthropic spirit regards many things Canadian, including health research. My sincere condolences to the family. I'm hoping for a smooth transition at the appropriate time.
jwbavalon
Rookie

I was with Dusty when we met Mr Braley at a BC LIons get together. He was amiable and easy to talk to. A huge loss to the CFL and the Lions. Thanks Mr Braley for all your contributions.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

CFL fans owe Mr. Baley a debt of gratitude for his support of the CFL.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Matt Baker brought together Wally Buono and George Chayka for a nice video tribute to David Braley on the Lions' 1st and Now podcast. They share a number of stories about Braley that I hadn't heard before and that give good insight into his character, personality and loyalty to his staff.

https://www.bclions.com/2020/10/28/1st- ... id-braley/