Ed Hervey leaves Lions for "personal reasons"

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

maxlion
Legend

I'm not going to speculate on the reasons for this. Lots of possible reasons given the circumstances and, chances are, we will never know.

I like Ed, but it is probably fair to say that his era won't be remembered as a high point in the team's history. Bringing in Rick Campbell and Mike Reilly might be the defining moves. Other than that, a whole lot of former Edmonton Football Team players. Still, I felt he would bring success eventually.

I wish him well wherever he goes. I think we are in good hands with Campbell, McEvoy, Simon. If we have a league.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Big Time wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:22 pm
Hervey's departure tells me he sees the writing on the wall, just like Lulay did earlier this year.
Knowing what I do now about the Lulay family business and the fact Travis' degree was in Business Finance I don't think he was long for the football world once his playing days ended regardless of what was going on with the Lions or the CFL.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Simon says he's keen and ready for the job. Who am I to disagree? https://3downnation.com/2020/11/02/gero ... l-manager/
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Rick Campbell and Neil McEvoy Co-GM's

https://www.tsn.ca/bc-lions-name-rick-c ... -1.1560936
BC 1988
Legend

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040 ... -1.1561594
McEvoy on with Sekeres & Price today. I don't think I've ever heard him before--he's a great interview.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

BC 1988 wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:15 pm
McEvoy on with Sekeres & Price today. I don't think I've ever heard him before--he's a great interview.
Thanks. That was a good interview. I always thought that McEvoy chose to stay in the background but this expanded role may be his coming-out party. The Lions can use a media-friendly voice who can connect with fans of many generations.
BC 1988
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:53 pm
BC 1988 wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:15 pm
Thanks. That was a good interview. I always thought that McEvoy chose to stay in the background but this expanded role may be his coming-out party. The Lions can use a media-friendly voice who can connect with fans of many generations.
I agree. Compared to LeLacheur (who understandably sounds old and tired), Wally (who always had the "you know" nervous tic doing interviews) and Hervey (who always sounded confrontational) McEvoy is gold.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Chris O'Leary has written a nice little piece on McEvoy 's ascension through the ranks over on the Lions' site: https://www.bclions.com/2020/12/11/olea ... ons-co-gm/
Blitz
Team Captain

Hey groooooovy Lionbacker colleagues.

I believe Ed Hervey was fired from our B.C. Lions and he was allowed to say he was leaving for personal reasons. Hervey could have asked for a leave for personal reasons. It would be rare for anyone to give up a well paying and rare job during a pandemic and in October, with a lot of time remaining before the start of the 2021 season.

The grapevine is that Hervey guaranteed a huge part of Mike Reilly's contract, with a side letter, and Hervey did that secretly on his own to get Reilly signed, without informing his superiors or the CFL. You've read recently that Reilly was in a dispute over his contract with the league, not wanting to take a pay cut. There was more of a backdrop that most people were aware of.

How do I feel about it. Well, you know, you know, its all about execution of the plan, so I feel good about it. :) Never being one to shy away from a tad of controversy, Hervey was a Wally hire, and any time our Leos can cut ties with the old regime, the more promise the future holds. It was interesting that Geroy Simon was not given the job of G.M.

The major reason I'm relieved that Hervey is gone is that he was and always would be conflict driven. We saw that in Edmonton in numerous ways from his personal conflicts with Rhodes, Chris Jones and a number of players. In Leo land, Hervey hired Claybrooks and then gave the rookie Head Coach free reign to hire his coaching staff, when it should have been obvious that Claybrooks was making a lot of mistakes in those hirings.

Hervey should have established some criterion for Claybrooks in order to prevent Claybrooks from hiring a bunch of his buddies, with many of them lacking pro coaching or any coaching experience. Plus Hervey loved Jarious, to my chagrin as well as lack of sleep due to having too many nightmares of RPO (really bad offence)

Hervey's handling of the Jennings situation was an embarrassment that upset Travis Lulay as well. Of all the traits of a leader, empathy (not sympathy) is considered the most important of all and in Ed Hervey that trait is almost non-existent.

Hervey knew his football and he does have a good understanding of talent but he also lacks some key ingredients that we need in B.C. as we attempt to create some new excitement and new directions for our Leos franchise.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Blitz! Long time no see. Glad to see you are still hanging about here and there. I pretty much agree with everything you speculate on the Hervey situation. He may have been an effective player but from a temperament perspective, I have always had my doubts about his abilities as a GM. If he did what you suggest, his management days are effectively done. Who would want to hire an individual that cuts side deals without the consent of those paying the bills? Nor do I think the league would be especially keen on a person that tried to hide such a deal from the body that keeps track of all the deals. We may never know the complete story but I don't feel too sad about his departure whatever the facts.

Funny that you would post now. I was on the site a night or two ago and I found myself thinking about some of your posts and how it would be nice to have a Blitz perspective and whadya know.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Nice to have you back Blitz
David
Team Captain

Welcome back Blitz!

I think that is the consensus on this board, or at least one supported by several of us. That Ed screwed up big time and had to pay the price. My guess is LeLacheur would have been more forgiving about this than David Braley.

It's something that many GMs do - guarantee a portion of salary. Really, only an "Act of God" could screw things up. Well, that happened in the form of a cancelled season thanks to Covid and Ed had to walk the plank. Publically of course it was called a resignation to spare him the shame and indignity.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Murdoch
All Star

Blitz wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:06 pm
Hey groooooovy Lionbacker colleagues.

I believe Ed Hervey was fired from our B.C. Lions and he was allowed to say he was leaving for personal reasons. Hervey could have asked for a leave for personal reasons. It would be rare for anyone to give up a well paying and rare job during a pandemic and in October, with a lot of time remaining before the start of the 2021 season.

The grapevine is that Hervey guaranteed a huge part of Mike Reilly's contract, with a side letter, and Hervey did that secretly on his own to get Reilly signed, without informing his superiors or the CFL. You've read recently that Reilly was in a dispute over his contract with the league, not wanting to take a pay cut. There was more of a backdrop that most people were aware of.

How do I feel about it. Well, you know, you know, its all about execution of the plan, so I feel good about it. :) Never being one to shy away from a tad of controversy, Hervey was a Wally hire, and any time our Leos can cut ties with the old regime, the more promise the future holds. It was interesting that Geroy Simon was not given the job of G.M.

The major reason I'm relieved that Hervey is gone is that he was and always would be conflict driven. We saw that in Edmonton in numerous ways from his personal conflicts with Rhodes, Chris Jones and a number of players. In Leo land, Hervey hired Claybrooks and then gave the rookie Head Coach free reign to hire his coaching staff, when it should have been obvious that Claybrooks was making a lot of mistakes in those hirings.

Hervey should have established some criterion for Claybrooks in order to prevent Claybrooks from hiring a bunch of his buddies, with many of them lacking pro coaching or any coaching experience. Plus Hervey loved Jarious, to my chagrin as well as lack of sleep due to having too many nightmares of RPO (really bad offence)

Hervey's handling of the Jennings situation was an embarrassment that upset Travis Lulay as well. Of all the traits of a leader, empathy (not sympathy) is considered the most important of all and in Ed Hervey that trait is almost non-existent.

Hervey knew his football and he does have a good understanding of talent but he also lacks some key ingredients that we need in B.C. as we attempt to create some new excitement and new directions for our Leos franchise.
Good post. I was probably the biggest Hervey fan and accept your comment about conflict being an issue.

It goes deeper than that for me and makes me wonder about the relationship between Mr. Braley and Wally and how Ed Hervey came to be hired. Fairly evident that he was not supported by some.

Suggesting Mr Braley was involved with personnel at the stage he was at seemed a bit of a stretch

In defence of Devone Claybrooks and Rich Stubler the 2019 defence played very well for the most part and Hervey did a good job bringing in key players like Brandon Dozier. I thought Nik Lewis was recognized for doing a good job as well.

The current staff is just as questionable and having Rick Campbell as defensive co-ordinator, head coach, and assistant GM leaves plenty on his plate.

The guy who got the free pass and is the only one left was Mike Reilly imo. I'm going to say he will want to have a good year.

Sask and Edm look pretty solid and it is dumb to count out Calgary. I see BC fighting Winnipeg for a chance at the crossover if there is one.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

No doubt the removal of Hervey was something that had been in the works for a few weeks. It wasn't like the decision was made that morning. I also support the concept that it wasn't voluntary but he was given the option to frame it the way he chose. Regardless with Braley passing only 10 days later it's hard to determine if he actually played a part in the decision. Only his family, doctors and maybe LeLacheur would know if his health was still such that he was able to participate in such business. Knowing what we do of the man and his resolve and stubbornness he probably did stay involved.

As for Hervey and what led to his departure we tend to point at the Reilly grievance. It gets me wondering though if that was a one-off or if it turned out to open up a pandora's box of other instances. The denizens at RF have long talked about Ed's "desk drawer" contracts which I always dismissed as typical Rider fan whining. In light of the circumstances that led to Hervey's old sidekick Kavis Reed's dismissal in Montreal and now Reilly-gate I can't help but wonder if there wasn't a lot more to the story in BC than just the Reilly sidedeal blowing up in Ed's face.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Welcome back Blitz.

I always wavered back and forth between things that I liked about how Wally did things, and things that I didn't like. I felt the same way about Hervey.

So Wally is retired and Hervey is gone. I am not unhappy.