Ed Hervey leaves Lions for "personal reasons"

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

BC 1988
Legend

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Well, I hope that he is okay or going to be okay. I wonder where that leaves the Lions at the moment. I suppose they have the benefit of not having to pay his salary while there is nothing going on but I guess the search will have to begin. Who might be GM material that is available?
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Bit of a surprise....or maybe not.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Bosco
Team Captain

Wonder if he has another opportunity...or is he reading the tea leaves re: the CFL's future?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

That's quite a shock. I wish him well. With free agency coming up and almost all players on one-year contracts and eligible to leave, the Lions will need to get a new hire in place by the end of the year or perhaps promote Geroy Simon or Neil McEvoy. I expect one of the CFL's priorities for 2021 will be to streamline team and league administration and football operations costs so promoting from within could save the Lions a salary.
David
Team Captain

Wonder if he was asked to take a pay cut and said, "adios?" Or perhaps an opportunity came his way with the XFL, closer to home. Anyway, this comes as a shock. Whatever it is, I hope he and his family are safe. :cr:

I thought we were in a pretty good place with the way the roster and coaching staff were set up for the ill-fated 2020 season.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Bosco
Team Captain

More and more, I'm concerned about the future of the CFL.
Big Time
Champion

I've been doubtful from the start that the league returns. All of their flaws have been exposed by the pandemic. Player recognition was hard enough year over year and with a missing season or more, I have trouble seeing a financial model that will make this work without serious change. I believe if the league comes back it will largely be an expansion league, where all teams will effectively be starting over, and with a much harder (and smaller) salary cap.

I half jokingly said a few months ago to my son that I think the CFL will fold and TSN will buy the brand on the cheap to have an in-house football league. I don't know if this is being contemplated, but I really don't see how the CFL continues, unless someone like the Rock swoops in and tries to merge it with the XFL.

Hervey's departure tells me he sees the writing on the wall, just like Lulay did earlier this year.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:55 pm
Well, I hope that he is okay or going to be okay. I wonder where that leaves the Lions at the moment. I suppose they have the benefit of not having to pay his salary while there is nothing going on but I guess the search will have to begin. Who might be GM material that is available?
Internally McEvoy and Simon would have to be considered for sure. Campbell may even have interest in a dual role.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I am not all that sad about Hervey's departure. I wish him well and hope everything is OK, but I have always been up and down about whether I like him as a GM going back to when he first started with the Esks.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:55 pm
I am not all that sad about Hervey's departure. I wish him well and hope everything is OK, but I have always been up and down about whether I like him as a GM going back to when he first started with the Esks.
This
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
aklawitter
All Star

DanoT wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:55 pm
FWIW Naylor was on 1040 saying how Hervey was much better to deal with in BC than Deadmonton.
Murdoch
All Star

Here's a rumour that might get a reaction.

How about the return of Wally Buono and some up the gut football?

Truth is imo good for both sides. Ed Hervey was given responsibility without the authority to do the job. I'm surprised he wasn't let go with Claybrooks. He is a good football man. Pinball Clemons should be all over this. Did seem it was Ed who was the guy behind signing Mike Reilly though which disrupted the whole roster and gutted the leadership but tough to get it done at all, never mind lickety split with one arm tied. Kyle Walters was 12 - 34 when he was resigned to another 3 year deal by comparison.

Good for the Lions as well to clear the air and move forward under a clear leader. Maybe it is tied into a sale of the team and Ed had to go. Neil McEvoy seems to be the guy with Lelacheur . It's been brewing for a while and makes me wonder why Wally didn't hire McEvoy or Geroy.

One of my disappointments of 2020 was not seeing how the new direction Lions worked out. They had a tough schedule to start the year. Maybe we'll see next year.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

My first thought was if it was a family matter why not initially request a leave of absence then resign if it's going to be long term? I'm sure he could have stepped away for a couple of months at this time of year.

You can't help but wonder if it's another opportunity south of the border given no certainty of a 2021 CFL season and what the current salary situation is for club employees. The federal wage subsidy I believe which is slated to end in December. Regardless, you can't blame anyone involved in the league looking for something elsewhere right now.

Given they have a seasoned head coach in Rick Campbell it does somewhat pave the way to promote Neil McElvoy or Geroy Simon. Interesting though Rick LeLacheur only mentioned McElvoy and Campbell taking on Hervey's duties for now during yesterday's 1040 interview.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

The league will not fold. Either TSN will step in to interim fund a television property or we'll be able to have fans next year.

The easy answer is to promote Geroy. The opportunity here is to redo our American scouting department which I've never been a fan of and I'm grateful for that chance.

Let's let Wally stay retired, please.