Chase Claypool & the big BC receiver army

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Yeah, Pankratz was pretty light. 180 lbs... I weighed that when I was 16.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

John Pankratz was listed at 6 ft. 0 and 190 lbs. on his 1984 Jogo trading card. I don't necessarily trust official heights and weights.
OV - 54:40
Champion

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:17 pm

Yeah, but ... a lot of the all-time great receivers (CFL & NFL) have been guys in that range (under 6' or well under 200 pounds) - think of Cahoon or Terry Vaughn or Darren Flutie - quick, shifty guys; Uncle Milt & Geroy were hardly heavy-weights at receiver.

I started this thread after the success of Claypool as an NFL rookie and also thinking about 6-7 Rysen John in this past draft class - out of BC; and it got me to thinking of CFL history and other big BC pass catcher names came up ... Durant now, Paris Jackson, Danielsen, Christensen. Teyo Johnson too = just seems BC has produced a large number of these big lad receivers ?
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

so far of the above mentioned, Pankratz is my fav by far.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

OV - 54:40 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:11 pm
Sir Purrcival wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:17 pm

Yeah, but ... a lot of the all-time great receivers (CFL & NFL) have been guys in that range (under 6' or well under 200 pounds) - think of Cahoon or Terry Vaughn or Darren Flutie - quick, shifty guys; Uncle Milt & Geroy were hardly heavy-weights at receiver.
No argument here. I really liked Pankratz but he certainly wasn't a "big" receiver .
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Fred.Fonce
Rookie

I ran track with Pankratz at SFU. We were about the same size, 5'11", 180.
Champion

Update - Rysen John has been signed to the Giants practice roster
Tighthead
Legend

Matt Clark’s card shows him playing at 180 which sounds right to me.

There was also a Matt Clarke on the team, who was the long snapper as I recall. His weight may have been transposed with Clark’s.

Elgaard would consider himself a Vancouver guy. As mentioned he excelled in rugby at Magee and for the Kats RFC.
Champion

Claypool scores another 2 TDs for the undefeated Steelers; on his way to an NFL 1000 yard receiving season, as a rookie = just outstanding.
Champion

Tighthead wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:59 pm
Matt Clark’s card shows him playing at 180 which sounds right to me.

There was also a Matt Clarke on the team, who was the long snapper as I recall. His weight may have been transposed with Clark’s.

Elgaard would consider himself a Vancouver guy. As mentioned he excelled in rugby at Magee and for the Kats RFC.
Hmmm - I was taking Matt Clark's size from the Statscrew site on the Lions roster; but both he and Matt Clarke the long-snapper are listed at the same 6-0. 225; so maybe there is an error there? - i didn't recall Matt Clark the receiver as a big bruiser type, so maybe he was a 180 pounder or so ... and thus would be disqualified from my big BC receiver army ? ;o)

Edit - was able to find a Montana football 1990 media guide online where Matt Clark was listed at 6-1, 178 = hmmm ? BTW - how did that guy qualify as a Canadian / NI for the CFL back then ? - born in BC, (?) but i guess he spent the requisite number of years "resident" in Canada before going down to the States to play college ball ?