Favourite BC Lions Stadium

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

What was your favourite stadium to attend a home BC Lions game?

Empire Stadium (1954 - 1982)
25%
Old BC Place (1983 - 2009)
No votes
Empire Field (2010 - 2011)
13%
New BC Place (2011 - Present)
63%

Total votes: 8
Robbie
Hall of Famer

With all the recent threads about comparing various aspects related to the BC Lions and with the revival of the 13-year old thread discussing game day experiences in the various CFL stadiums, I figured that we can compare the four home stadiums that have existed since the BC Lions existence since 1954:

Empire Stadium (1954 - 1982)
Old BC Place (1983 - 2009)
Empire Field (2010 - 2011)
New BC Place (2011 - Present)

Using similar phrases from that other thread, please do not take into consideration the performance of the BC Lions on-field team itself during the various years and instead, evaluate and judge the various off-field, non-playing aspects inside the stadium during a game, such as:

1. The overall appearance and ambiance of being inside the stadium.
2. The general sight lines.
3. The comfort level of the seats.
4. The level of luxury in the luxury suites.
5. The lighting and other visual aspects.
6. The PA announcer, speakers, music, and other audio aspects.
7. The location of the stadium and related logistics such as public transportation and parking.
8. The scoreboard and replay screen.
9. The food and drink concession stand selections, quality, and prices.
10. The souvenir store selections, quality, and prices.
11. The various non-game entertainment including those during halftime and on the concourse.
12. The various BC Lions-related decorations throughout the stadium.
13. The easiness and comfort while walking through the concourse.
14. The availability, cleanliness, and size of the restrooms.
15. Finally, the price vs. value to enter the stadium.

I'm sure most people will say that the new BC Place is the best with regards to many points listed above.

However, is it possible that there are a few aspects in which it was better in the other three predecessors? For example, it may have been nice to watch Empire Stadium and Field in a warm, sunny, summer day. And while there are only two locations for the four stadiums, it's fair to say that with more traffic, then parking is more difficult and more expensive now compared to the 1980's. Furthermore, food selection may have come and gone, and maybe your favourite food vendor is not there anymore. And finally, compared to 40 years ago tickets are much more expensive but of course, income is higher too but I don't know if they are proportional and it's possible that tickets were more affordable 40 years ago when comparing general income at that time.
Last edited by Robbie on Sun May 24, 2020 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I’ve had season’s tickets in all four stadiums. New B.C. Place is superior in all aspects except for traffic congestion. Since I’m now driving from Kamloops, I just leave home early and take my time.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:07 pm
I’ve had season’s tickets in all four stadiums. New B.C. Place is superior in all aspects except for traffic congestion. Since I’m now driving from Kamloops, I just leave home early and take my time.
By any chance, B.C. FAN, do you remember the season ticket prices when the Lions were still based out of the old Empire Stadium?

And was there a huge increase from 1982 to 1983 when the Lions moved from Empire Stadium to BC Place?
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

In 1971 my seat cost $5.50
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I recall being shocked when my prime sideline seat at Empire, which had the royal box for a backrest, went up from $4.50 to $5.50 in the mid-1970s. I don't recall prices when B.C. Place opened but, relatively speaking, I consider the $26.50 price of my second-row end-zone seats today a bargain.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:56 am
I recall being shocked when my prime sideline seat at Empire, which had the royal box for a backrest, went up from $4.50 to $5.50 in the mid-1970s.
TheLionKing wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:13 pm
Do you remember how much for a hot dog and a soda?

Were there much food selections at the concession stands?

I believe there were two main concourse, the west side which faces PNE and the east side which faces Cassiar. I would believe that the west concourse would be busier as most fans would enter from the PNE side.
祝你龍年行大運。
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Robbie wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:27 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:56 am
I recall being shocked when my prime sideline seat at Empire, which had the royal box for a backrest, went up from $4.50 to $5.50 in the mid-1970s.
TheLionKing wrote:
Do you remember how much for a hot dog and a soda?

Were there much food selections at the concession stands?

I believe there were two main concourse, the west side which faces PNE and the east side which faces Cassiar. I would believe that the west concourse would be busier as most fans would enter from the PNE side.
My main lasting memory from the concourse at Empire Stadium is the constant smell of cigar smoke. I don't remember concession prices or selection but I've been eating stadium hot dogs at every game I've attended since the mid-'60s. That tradition hasn't killed me yet.
David
Team Captain

Empire4.jpg
Here is a pic of what Empire Stadium was like (Pic #2 - looking northwest). At mid-field was a "Royal Box". I would imagine that having seats in front would be ideal as it could serve as a backrest. At one time Empire was the largest venue in the land. In fact, in 1955, they crammed in 39,417 spectators for the Grey Cup game! Pic #1 is looking northeast).

I think I have something from the concourse but I'll have to dig around. There were turnstiles to get into the stadium. The concourse itself wasn't fancy; kind of dark and drab. Basic grub too as I recall. The worst part of the stadium was the track. Second worst was the hard benches (they likely would have been converted to bucket seats today). Third worst was the drainage. I believe the stadium was on a creek bed so I can only imagine what the field was like prior to (artificial) Tartan Turf in 1970.

DH :cool:
Empire Stadium2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:10 pm
Here is a pic of what Empire Stadium was like (Pic #2 - looking northwest). At mid-field was a "Royal Box". I would imagine that having seats in front would be ideal as it could serve as a backrest. At one time Empire was the largest venue in the land. In fact, in 1955, they crammed in 39,417 spectators for the Grey Cup game! Pic #1 is looking northeast).

I think I have something from the concourse but I'll have to dig around. There were turnstiles to get into the stadium. The concourse itself wasn't fancy; kind of dark and drab. Basic grub too as I recall. The worst part of the stadium was the track. Second worst was the hard benches (they likely would have been converted to bucket seats today). Third worst was the drainage. I believe the stadium was on a creek bed so I can only imagine what the field was like prior to (artificial) Tartan Turf in 1970.

In addition to the running track, the worst features of Empire were the crown on the field and the posts that supported the roof. You couldn’t see the far sideline over the crown unless you were about 20 rows up. The posts obstructed views of the field from seats above row 20 or so. I think the royal box was about row 16 and 17. My seat was in row 15 in the only section with a natural backrest.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Excellent pictures, David.

Two observations:

1. It looks like the clipped corner at the end zone was affected by the race track. So that provided a smaller end zone section for the offence to score on passing plays.

2. With only bleacher seats, exactly how were the seats assigned? I suppose there was a sticker on the bleacher which identified the seat which you had to cross reference on your ticket. And there were no backs either for the bleacher seat so you couldn't even lean back without having to bump into the legs and feet of the person sitting behind you. And I suppose there were times when people squished more than one person into the designated seat.

Or....was there no assigned seating and instead, first come first serve with the only assignment being blue seats or red seats?

And I do remember many fans bringing seat cushions to use on the bleachers.

And it looks like there were no executive suites and those enclosed areas being the press boxes.
Last edited by Robbie on Sun May 24, 2020 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
祝你龍年行大運。
BC 1988
Legend

Interesting to see Empire pics without a game in progress. From the end zone logo in pic 2, this must have been between 1978-82
David
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Like this one, The Lion King? :wink:

(and BC 1988, I believe those pics are from 1986, long after the Leos vacated Empire. You can see that the logo was well-worn and faded by this point. The stadium wasn't demolished until 1992).

Lions ticket 3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Robbie
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 2:22 pm
TheLionKing wrote:
Like this one, The Lion King? :wink:

(and BC 1988, I believe those pics are from 1986, long after the Leos vacated Empire. You can see that the logo was well-worn and faded by this point. The stadium wasn't demolished until 1992).

Lions ticket 3.jpg
So with the posted ticket it looks like in Empire Stadium the ticket seats were indeed assigned onto the bleacher seats. I suppose there were numbers stuck on to the bleacher. I wonder what the distance was between one number to the other number, i.e. how many inches were you allocated and whether there was tension if someone took up too much space.
祝你龍年行大運。
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Gotta give it to "new" BC Place. It's really one of the best stadiums in North America. The fact that it's too big for the Lions doesn't take away from all the amenities of the stadium.

Now, the best stadium to watch a game for me was actually temporary Empire. Sure the concessions and bathroom situation sucked, but I just didn't drink during the game. The site lines were amazing. You were right up close to the field. The capacity was purrfect for the CFL and it felt like you were at a "full" stadium. I only saw a few games at temporary Empire and they were on beautiful warm sunny afternoon/evenings. Tailgating before hand was a nice bonus feature.

I have a special place in my heart for the original Empire Stadium. Not only because that was where I was my first Lions games as a kid, but also because of the NASL Whitecaps. I was a volunteer "runner" for the 'Caps from 1977-79 and my dad was the PA announcer. So I knew that stadium inside, outside, and on top (you had to go on to the roof to access the TV camera "gondola").

I even got to meet Pele as I was assigned to the NY TV crew that did a taped delayed broadcast of the Whitecaps-Cosmos game. When the game ended I had to go to the NY dressing room and bring Pele out to field level for an interview. I was so nervous... I go to the dressing room and knocked on the door and when the door opened I told them that TV needed Pele for an interview. The guy at the door just said "he's over there" and pointed at Pele sitting in his stall. So I walk over and say to the most famous footballer on earth, "Excuse me, are you Pele?". He laughed and said "yes, I think so." It was like that Coke commercial with Mean Joe Green as I walked with him down the tunnel, except he didn't give me his jersey.
BC 1988
Legend

Belize City Lion wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 4:30 pm
Gotta give it to "new" BC Place. It's really one of the best stadiums in North America. The fact that it's too big for the Lions doesn't take away from all the amenities of the stadium.

Now, the best stadium to watch a game for me was actually temporary Empire. Sure the concessions and bathroom situation sucked, but I just didn't drink during the game. The site lines were amazing. You were right up close to the field. The capacity was purrfect for the CFL and it felt like you were at a "full" stadium. I only saw a few games at temporary Empire and they were on beautiful warm sunny afternoon/evenings. Tailgating before hand was a nice bonus feature.

I have a special place in my heart for the original Empire Stadium. Not only because that was where I was my first Lions games as a kid, but also because of the NASL Whitecaps. I was a volunteer "runner" for the 'Caps from 1977-79 and my dad was the PA announcer. So I knew that stadium inside, outside, and on top (you had to go on to the roof to access the TV camera "gondola").

I even got to meet Pele as I was assigned to the NY TV crew that did a taped delayed broadcast of the Whitecaps-Cosmos game. When the game ended I had to go to the NY dressing room and bring Pele out to field level for an interview. I was so nervous... I go to the dressing room and knocked on the door and when the door opened I told them that TV needed Pele for an interview. The guy at the door just said "he's over there" and pointed at Pele sitting in his stall. So I walk over and say to the most famous footballer on earth, "Excuse me, are you Pele?". He laughed and said "yes, I think so." It was like that Coke commercial with Mean Joe Green as I walked with him down the tunnel, except he didn't give me his jersey.
The only personal memory I have of original Empire was walking by the decaying hulk in 1989 (and wondering why it was still there).

Original BC Place was fine, particularly if you were in there with a noisy packed house watching playoff games (while there was cold rain outside). Not so much when it was a hot summer night.

I was at Tempire for every game in 2010-11. It was nice on warm summer nights, but I was glad to move back to BC Place.

I voted for "new" BC Place. Much better than before the renos. Apart from briefly when it reopened in 2011, we haven't had a chance to see it as designed.

LOL at your experience meeting Pele.