Favourite Lions Uniform

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Pick three but rank them in order.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
David
Team Captain

Legend:

A) 1964 - 1969 (paw helmet from ‘64 – ’66, snarling lion ’67 – ’69 with black jersey and burnt orange TV stripe on shoulder)
B) 1976 - 1977 (black helmet with snarling lion logo, orange jersey, black numbers wide stripes)
C) 2016 - 2018 (“chess piece” helmet, orange jersey, black pants)
D) 1992 - 2004 (silver helmet, black jersey, silver pants)
E) 2005 - 2015 (white helmet, orange jersey and white pants)
F) 2013 – 2014 (gunmetal jersey and pants. Black matte helmet with paw logo)
G) 2019 (black helmets with current logo, orange jersey, orange pants)
H) 1978 - 1989 (white helmet, burnt orange and brown jersey)
I) 1970 - 1971 (black jersey w/7 burnt orange stripes on sleeve, orange and white collar, silver pants with orange and black stripe)

Roar, You Lions, Roar
David
Team Captain

I'll start:

A, I, B

(if G - our current uniform - had black pants at home and orange or white socks, that would be choice #3. The orange pants though ruins it for me).

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Interesting to consider this, David, and I'll pick (three) as you request, however, honestly I can claim only two to be true favourites:

G - the current uniform is my #1 despite the orange pants as the rest of the gear looks so sharp IMO, plus the "aways" are top-notch.
A - the mid-to-late 1960s uniform is my very close #2, and had the pants been black might be #1.
I - the black jersey with the burnt orange sleeve stripes does look pretty fine, but weirdly, I don't remember it at all. What was the helmet like for that year - 70-71? Seeing the helmet might jog my memory.

Anyhow, David, you'll maybe want to tidy up the legend so it properly matches the graphics; I see the mismatch crept in at F in your legend. F is in fact the gun metal grey uniform, and then the three following legend entries simply need their letters changed (G, H, I) accordingly. Cheers!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

A - I fell in love with the Lions and got my first season tickets when they wore black jerseys with burnt orange shoulder patches in the 1960s
E - The cleanest orange uniforms also coincided with the greatest era in team history
H - The 1980s were the second greatest era in Lions' history, and the classic orange and white uniforms set a high standard
David
Team Captain

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 3:52 am
Interesting to consider this, David, and I'll pick (three) as you request, however, honestly I can claim only two to be true favourites:

G - the current uniform is my #1 despite the orange pants as the rest of the gear looks so sharp IMO, plus the "aways" are top-notch.
A - the mid-to-late 1960s uniform is my very close #2, and had the pants been black might be #1.
I - the black jersey with the burnt orange sleeve stripes does look pretty fine, but weirdly, I don't remember it at all. What was the helmet like for that year - 70-71? Seeing the helmet might jog my memory.

Anyhow, David, you'll maybe want to tidy up the legend so it properly matches the graphics; I see the mismatch crept in at F in your legend. F is in fact the gun metal grey uniform, and then the three following legend entries simply need their letters changed (G, H, I) accordingly. Cheers!
Thanks Ernie. I corrected it. I somehow left out F.

As for the 1970-71 uniform, they wore the same black helmets that they wore from 1967-77. It was black with a snarling lion logo. Orange-white-orange stripes down the centre. White numbers on the back of the helmet. However, in 1971, the logo was swapped out for the BC Centennial decal. The only other time I recall a team doing this was in 1967, when the Hamilton Tiger-Cats incorporated Canada's Centennial into their helmet logo. Maybe that was the inspiration?

I am missing some uniforms. Obviously, anything prior to 1964. But I didn't have room for the 1991 "Doug Flutie" uniform. Black jersey with orange vertical stripe on the shoulder.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
cromartie
Hall of Famer

C, A, F

I love the helmet in C, but I acknowledge I'm probably the only one that remembers the Michigan Panthers helmet it's based on.

I also love the gun metal greys and wished we'd had more success in them.

Those mid to late 1960s unis are beautiful.

Missing from this array is the 2006 alternate home jerseys we won the Grey Cup in, which would edge out the 1960s era ones.
David
Team Captain

cromartie wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 10:11 am
Missing from this array is the 2006 alternate home jerseys we won the Grey Cup in, which would edge out the 1960s era ones.
Due to space limitations, it was between that one and the 2019 uniform. But if I left that out, some might ask, "what about the currents??"

Hmmm, I thought you hated the orange lids from that year?? :wink: There were parts of the uniform I liked. Wasn't big on the (wide to tapered) pant stripes. That little patch of white in the shoulder looked a little awkward too.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
BC 1988
Legend

David wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 11:30 pm
Legend:

A) 1964 - 1969 (paw helmet from ‘64 – ’66, snarling lion ’67 – ’69 with black jersey and burnt orange TV stripe on shoulder)
B) 1976 - 1977 (black helmet with snarling lion logo, orange jersey, black numbers wide stripes)
C) 2016 - 2018 (“chess piece” helmet, orange jersey, black pants)
D) 1992 - 2004 (silver helmet, black jersey, silver pants)
H) 1978 - 1989 (white helmet, burnt orange and brown jersey)
I) 1970 - 1971 (black jersey w/7 burnt orange stripes on sleeve, orange and white collar, silver pants with orange and black stripe)
Ranking my favorites from the choices:
H, A, F

Significant omissions: Last season roads but with black pants (would have been in my top 3)
2016-2018 roads with Casper the Friendly Ghost white logo on sickly orange helmet would have been my vote for the worst of all time.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Duplicate - deleted.
Last edited by Robbie on Thu May 14, 2020 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 9:43 am
But I didn't have room for the 1991 "Doug Flutie" uniform. Black jersey with orange vertical stripe on the shoulder.
Here you go, David:

I think with Joe Kapp's arrival as GM and President in 1990, he felt it was time for a change so the orange uniforms were removed and I think it led to mixed feelings. The orange stripes appeared to be rather cheesy so it only survived for two seasons before being removed before the 1992 season.

Any biases in liking the uniform vs. how well the team did in those seasons?

I created a thread many years ago about whether wearing sports team apparel is a fan or fashion statement. I'd say at least for CFL team apparel, it is definitely a fan statement as I don't anybody would wear a CFL team clothing just because they liked their uniform design.

Anyways, E, H, A
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
David
Team Captain

BC 1988 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 10:54 am

Significant omissions: Last season roads but with black pants (would have been in my top 3)
2016-2018 roads with Casper the Friendly Ghost white logo on sickly orange helmet would have been my vote for the worst of all time.
^^ :thup: :thup: ^^

100% agree on both counts, BC 1988. :towel: The 2016-2018 road helmets were not only ghostly but ghastly. :rotf:

Maybe one day I will get around to creating an away version. There were only so many images I could upload though without causing people to squint. ;)

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Robbie
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 11:30 pm
But if you want to make things even more complicated and possibly more confusing :tease: :devil: starting in 2003 and on, several seasons had an alternate 3rd (or even a retro 4th) uniform. Should those alternate uniforms be taken into consideration in this discussion - be it in a positive or negative way if we really liked or disliked their alternative uniforms? :roll:

The BC Lions chose to wear their alternative uniforms in the 2006 WDF and Grey Cup, and they did very well in those uniforms and along with that...their uniforms look cool as well. :cool:
Last edited by Robbie on Wed May 13, 2020 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
祝你龍年行大運。
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I like any version of the silver and black.

Flutie uniform is my fav, but that might have something to do with Flutie himself.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Picture of 5 past BC Lions uniforms.

---------------
To play :devil: advocate, there's always a chance that you will:

1. Like the home uniform, but dislike the road uniform and if applicable, alternate uniform.
2. Like the road uniform, but dislike the home uniform and if applicable, alternate uniform.
3. Dislike the main uniforms, but love the alternate uniform for that season if applicable.
4. If applicable, among the alternate uniforms there might be more than just one such as in 2019 and you only like one of them.
5. If applicable, love or dislike the retro uniform.

Fortunately, I'm not aware of a two retro uniforms in one season otherwise it will make it even more confusing and add another layer of argument. :dizzy:

I think having four uniforms in one season is plenty enough:

2009:

2010:

2019:
祝你龍年行大運。