Lions re-sign Sergio Castillo

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have re-signed kicker Sergio Castillo, according to Justin Dunk of 3downnation.com.

Castillo was widely expected to return to the Lions this year after playing in the XFL. He led the CFL by hitting 41 of 45 field goal attempts (91.1%) last season but was just 5 of 9 (56%) with Houston in the shortened XFL season.

The Lions have two other kickers under contract, the recently signed American Jimmy Camacho and former UBC kicker Gregory Hutchins, along with American punter Stefan Flintoft. There also are one or two intriguing prospects in this month's CFL draft.

B.C. Lions sign veteran kicker Sergio Castillo
David
Team Captain

Very happy with this signing. :thup: But at some point, I would like to explore a dual-role CDN kicker, the likes of which we haven't seen here since Paul McCallum. The thought of drafting Western's highly ranked K/P Marc Liegghio intrigues me.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:56 pm
Very happy with this signing. :thup: But at some point, I would like to explore a dual-role CDN kicker, the likes of which we haven't seen here since Paul McCallum. The thought of drafting Western's highly ranked K/P Marc Liegghio intrigues me.

DH :cool:
Agreed. Liegghio could have a 20-year career in the CFL and allow the Lions to use designated Americans as backups at other positions such as defensive back. If he’s not ready for a dual role as a rookie, he could punt and back up Castillo as kicker.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Just as I predicted would happen. I think this re-signing was going to happen regardless if the XFL ceased operation or not.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Belize City Lion wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:34 pm
Just as I predicted would happen. I think this re-signing was going to happen regardless if the XFL ceased operation or not.
Even when Castillo and Toomer were released I had hunch this would happen. The timing of their release smelled totally of paving the way for them to get a shot at the XFL. Toomer I wasn't sure about but I almost took for granted Castillo would be back albeit on a 1 year deal enabling him to return to the XFL in 2021. For a placekicker it would be easy to play year round. Of note with the XFL declaring bankruptcy good move by Hervey to sign him for 2 years.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.