Shutdown of XFL Could Be Permanent

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

South Pender
Legend

At the time of cancelling the rest of the 2020 season on March 12, the XFL stated that they would be back in 2021. Today's news suggests that this is now unlikely and that the XFL is now gone permanently.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2020/4/10/21 ... tball-news
cromartie
Hall of Famer

I mean. I’m shocked. Who could have predicted a spring football league would fail?
David
Team Captain

I wonder if the CFL/TSN will adopt any XFL innovations? I wasn't keen on the kick-off (I guess I am too much of a traditionalist, although I do respect the player safety element). If I recall, viewers were allowed to see the process by which calls are made from the replay booth, which is an enhancement.

Shorter halftimes? If it will speed up the overall game time and not compromise player safety or preparation, then go for it! In-game player/coach interviews? Not a fan. I prefer how TSN does it now by getting player/coach thoughts at half-time and not bugging them during the game.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:38 am
I wonder if the CFL/TSN will adopt any XFL innovations? I wasn't keen on the kick-off (I guess I am too much of a traditionalist, although I do respect the player safety element). If I recall, viewers were allowed to see the process by which calls are made from the replay booth, which is an enhancement.

Shorter halftimes? If it will speed up the overall game time and not compromise player safety or preparation, then go for it! In-game player/coach interviews? Not a fan. I prefer how TSN does it now by getting player/coach thoughts at half-time and not bugging them during the game.

DH :cool:
I completely agree. The transparancy of the XFL review process is an innovation that can help eliminate some of the excessive second-guessing that other leagues face, which is often led by ignorant broadcasters who don't understand the rules. Shorter halftimes could also help speed up the game. I didn't care for any of the XFL's other innovations.
Dusty
Champion

If permanent, it will be interesting to see what happens to the coaching staff, some of which left the CFL for the greener grass of XFL. If the NFL does start in the Fall, I wonder if a few XFL coaches will be hired into that league. The CFL spots are already filled.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Quite a few of the layoffs may have scheduled as I think this is when the XFL season was due to end. But obviously they needed to get coaches and GMs off the payroll as well. It's going to be hard to reboot next year, especially if there is no timeline for when "normal" will return.

I think with a few tweeks the XFL could still be viable. First, stadiums no bigger than 30,000. Second, invest more in QBs. Third, some preseason games (non televised, in a central location where training camp for all teams can be held).

By the 3rd week the football wasn't that bad.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Dusty wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:08 am
If permanent, it will be interesting to see what happens to the coaching staff, some of which left the CFL for the greener grass of XFL. If the NFL does start in the Fall, I wonder if a few XFL coaches will be hired into that league. The CFL spots are already filled.
If there's any NFL vacancies at this point they'd have to be very few and very far between. The NFL Draft is only 11 days away with under normal circumstances rookie mini-camps about 10 days behind. Any team that hasn't filled out their staff by now is in scramble mode. I suspect that with the CV19 impact NFL teams will not be to hold their rookie mini-camps as usual. If they do they might have to do it like CFL teams normally do and hold them immediately before their main camps.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Dusty
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:42 pm
Dusty wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:08 am
If there's any NFL vacancies at this point they'd have to be very few and very far between. The NFL Draft is only 11 days away with under normal circumstances rookie mini-camps about 10 days behind. Any team that hasn't filled out their staff by now is in scramble mode. I suspect that with the CV19 impact NFL teams will not be to hold their rookie mini-camps as usual. If they do they might have to do it like CFL teams normally do and hold them immediately before their main camps.
Hambone, I did not follow the XFL closely or watch any games. I did hear that Elizondo was credited with turning his team around when he started calling plays. And wasn't there a team that went lossless in the games played? There might be interest from NFL or college teams down south in some of the coaches. I suspect, assuming that the season starts as scheduled (not a sure thing IMHO), that NFL teams can "hide" coaches or hire them into quasi-roles as they have in the past an almost unlimited budget.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Spring football is not a sustainable, viable business, and there's 40+ years worth of proof of this.

There is plenty of room for teams to add coaches in a quality control/special assistant capacity, though how many teams would actually do so remains to be seen.

What happens after the draft here is that some teams, particularly ones with new General Managers will turn over their scouting staffs. If you really need a gig and can't find one as a coach, you can probably find one as a scout because probably half a dozen teams will jettison their scouting departments after the draft.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The XFL has officially filed for bankruptcy. The two biggest individual creditors are coaches Bob Stoops ($1.08 million) and Marc Trestman ($777,777.78). June Jones, whose Houston XFL team was undefeated, is owed $583,333.33.

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status ... 16771?s=20
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

XFL files for bankruptcy and is naturally up for sale in case some very rich billionaire wants two things:
1. to own his own league - not sure that is as good as owning an operating team if prestige is part of that desire.

1b. Along with the no. 1, get a nice tax write off.

Given the pandemic - a sale is not likely.

... CREDITORS:

I suspect that Marc Trestman might have been getting paid by Toronto so opted to take futures later risking that the XFL would actually last.

Cromartie for my money is right - there is 40 years of history saying that spring football is doomed before it starts. There's little room and football is more a game for traditionalist fans than innovators like the wrestling promoter.

For the CFL's sake, let's hope it doesn't come back (or other leagues like it). For any players out there wanting to realize a dream, a lost league sucks and we need to empathize with these guys as they put their lives and health on the line. Also, a fact - there is simply not enough pro jobs for university football grads as it is now and same for coaching jobs.

CFL would boom in recent years if our dollar was on par with that of the USA. But Canada has for too long relied on the petro fueling of our dollar.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Good for the CFL I guess but honestly, anything that Trump clone McMahon is attached to should be considered highly suspect at best.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The collapse of the XFL means three of the best offensive minds in recent CFL history are available: Marc Trestman, Jaime Elizondo and June Jones. Elizondo may be the most likely to return to the CFL if the right opportunity comes along. I also saw a story linking him to a possible coaching opportunity at the University of Ottawa.
Murdoch
All Star

LFA still an option as a spring league.

As much opportunity for growth there as anywhere.
Murdoch
All Star

The more I think of it , the more I like the idea of a quality Mexican football league. Time zone friendly at the very least.

Might be an idea for the CFL to look into getting some CFL regulations adopted. Size of field would be a good start. Twelve men? Three downs? Who knows?

As far as the "spring" timing I am of the opinion it is more interesting than curling. Not to disrespect the great game of curling.