Who are your Top 5 Favourite B.C. Lions?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

johnchow604
Rookie

maxlion wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:04 pm
johnchow604 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:14 pm
1. Casey Printers - Printers was exciting to watch. I do like Flutie more but I associate him more as a Calgary player.
2. Greg Stumon
Casey Printers I can kind of understand. Greg Stumon? Wow! I can't say that he ever crossed my mind as a favourite Lion, though he was very good for a few years. There's gotta be some story there. Please share!
I started following the Lions in 87. To my 13 year old self, the coolest thing a defensive player could do was sack the QB and Stumon was the best that year. That made this BC Lions fan proud.
johnchow604
Rookie

Robbie wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:11 pm
maxlion wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:04 pm
johnchow604 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:14 pm
1. Casey Printers - Printers was exciting to watch.
Casey Printers I can kind of understand.
For those of you who listed Casey Printers, it's fair to say that he was one of your favourite completely because of his first stint with the Lions especially with his 2004 MOP performance.

That said, did any of you no longer listed him as the top 5 favourite after his second stint with the Lions with his less-than-favourable performance and his bad circumstances beyond his release in his last game, and his last pass as a Lion was in the form of a game-ending interception.
I remember the fan excitement whenever Printers hit the field back in 2004. He was fun to watch. I can't think of another Lions QB that I felt that way about.

On a side note, honourable mentions for me are Tony Cherry and Stefan Logan.

I remember Cherry would bounce off blockers, do a spin then charge up the field again.

Logan is a player that I felt had the potential for big yardage when he got the ball.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

johnchow604 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:02 am

On a side note, honourable mentions for me are Tony Cherry and Stefan Logan.

I remember Cherry would bounce off blockers, do a spin then charge up the field again.

Logan is a player that I felt had the potential for big yardage when he got the ball.
Anthony Cherry and Tony Parker made up one of my fav lions backfield duos.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
David
Team Captain

KnowItAll wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:19 pm
I know Printers did some good, but for some reason I was never on his bandwagon
Paul Brothers might be the most vilified, but Casey Printers is probably the most polarizing. Nobody was neutral about him. Members of the media, particularly Mike Beamish, did not seem to care for him (Beamish viewed him as a petulant Prima Donna). I even think the locker room was divided. I never had the impression that Dickey was a fan.

As far as polarizing figures go, I'd say Printers and Damon Allen, one and (a distant) two.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Murdoch
All Star

Looking in from the visiting side of the field.

Travis Lulay, would argue that the Lions would have had a better team record in 2019 with TL. Competitive. A litany of bad breaks over his career.

Manny, set the bar and led the way.

Wally, we envied his presence. Undeniable passion for the game.

Lui, he made it look easy.

Sonny Homer, best name ever growing up. Somebody was always Sonny Homer.

Enjoy the day
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Been following the Lions since the 60's so a lot of players to choose from. Off the top of my head:

i) Willie Fleming (greatest Lion ever)

ii) Tom Brown

iii) Cam Wake

iv) Jim Young

v) Doug Flutie
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I would add james quick parker to my list
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

A slotback I really liked at the time was Matt Clark
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
johnchow604
Rookie

Forgot about Jon Volpe. I'd have to edge Cherry out for him for my top 5.

https://youtu.be/ZvSlS2Ny5wU?t=31
Robbie
Hall of Famer

johnchow604 wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:05 am
Forgot about Jon Volpe. I'd have to edge Cherry out for him for my top 5.

https://youtu.be/ZvSlS2Ny5wU?t=31
When it comes to favourite players, would your views change because of a single very bad play which led to a huge consequence which could have been avoided?

Or how about bad behaviour off the field?

In the ill-fated 1988 Grey Cup, after Dunigan's second interception and after Winnipeg conceded a safety to make it 22-21, the Lions had one more chance to at least move the ball to field goal range. The Lions got a decent kickoff from Anthony Drawhorn to their 45-yard line. But Tony Cherry made a very dumb and undisciplined rough play violation which put the Lions back to the 30-yard line and the uninspired Lions did a 3 and out.

Jon Volpe was under a 3-year contract with the Lions when he joined the team in 1991. After the bad 1992 season and after new management under Eric Tillman arrived, Volpe was highly reluctant to fulfill his third year of his contract. It required a lot of convincing by Tillman to step on the field again.

I explained in another thread that Jon Volpe made a lot of money later on - not as a professional football player but as a mortgage broker.
Last edited by Robbie on Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
johnchow604
Rookie

The lasting memories I have of them are good ones. I'm pretty bad with remembering things, so the negatives like a bad play on a drive is long forgotten.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

johnchow604 wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:52 pm
The lasting memories I have of them are good ones. I'm pretty bad with remembering things, so the negatives like a bad play on a drive is long forgotten.
How about players who have showed bad behaviour off the field, like those who got in trouble with the law. Will that change your views on that player if that player was one of your favourites?
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Part of what makes a player a favourite for me is his class on and off the field. True sportsmanlike behaviour. Players that work hard but are humble too.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
ZLions
Rookie

Geroy Simon
Angus Reid
Dante Marsh
Korey Banks
Solomon Elimimian

Honourable Mentions:
Travis Lulay
Dave Dickenson
Paris Jackson
Jovan Olafioye
Stefan Logan (he was a beast in ‘08, and when he returned in ‘13)
Murdoch
All Star

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:23 pm
Part of what makes a player a favourite for me is his class on and off the field. True sportsmanlike behaviour. Players that work hard but are humble too.
Brings to mind Jean Beliveau. 17 championships as a player. #4 for more than a few.