Goal posts

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Murdoch wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:27 am
Virtual uprights at the goal line?
Thanks for bringing this up. A very cool concept. I am quite surprised that sports have been rather slow to evolve in the Information (or "Digital") Age, especially for a multi-billion dollar enterprise such as the NFL. Other than replay which, as we all know, is often fraught with controversy.

I often wonder why there is so much left for officials to interpret. Why not insert a micro-chip into the football to precisely determine the advancement of the football? For example, did the ball break the plane at the goal line? Or, what is the correct distance to a 1st down? Hell, we put a man on the moon 50 years ago, yet guys still trot out with down and distance chains??

Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating eliminating officials. But with all that the striped shirts have on their plate with infractions given the speed of the game, you'd think "ball spotting" could be one less decision with which to burden them.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

How would the kicker and holder know where exactly these virtual uprights are that they need to split? How would the fans in the stands know where they are? Everybody in the stadium would be watching blind.

As for chip in the ball I think there has been thoughts about it for determining breaking the plane. It could be really helpful in those plunges or sneaks from the one where the ball carrier and ball literally get buried in the pile out of line judge and replay camera sight. However while it might be able to determine the final resting spot or furthest forward progress of the ball it won't recognize where the ball was when the parts of the ball carrier's body other than their feet or hands make contact with the ground thus ending the play. That would still require human intervention and/or review. I suppose the official in the review booth could stop the replay at the precise moment he detects the player is down by contact and have the chip determine where the ball was at that nanosecond.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
jwbavalon
Rookie

There are certain peculiarities in football that have to stay regardless of technology. For example, the 10 yard chain. It could easily be a laser measurement but the drama would disappear when the spot is marked. The goal posts have to be goal posts not a virtual 3D hologram. Still need human refs who make mistakes but on the whole do a fine job. It's football and has to be enjoyable and subject to debate. I'll leave technology to landing on the moon.

Just my thoughts .
cromartie
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:19 pm
the thing that bothers me the most about posts on the goal line is mid field successful tries. I think a team should have to advance the ball inside the 35 to have a reasonable shot at a FG.

I really don't like when in CFL stupid OT that teams start off already in good FG range.
Now here is where I agree with you. Possession should start at the 50 in OT.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:46 am
Hell, we put a man on the moon 50 years ago, yet guys still trot out with down and distance chains??
Because the Russians did all the hard work during the space race, and the Americans just vultured the TD.

And Russians don't play football.