2020 CFL draft

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The CFL global draft is still scheduled for April 16 and the national draft on April 30, despite the cancellation of regional and national combines that had been scheduled for this month. This could make the drafts even more of a crapshoot than normal, although teams can still interview players by phone or online and access game film and previous testing results.

That isn't likely to stop the flow of draft predictions and mock drafts in advance of the main events. John Hodge of 3downnation.com has published his first mock draft, predicting that the Lions will select North Dakota defensive end Mason Bennett with the third overall pick in the first round, massive 6 ft. 8, 335-lb. Western OL Dylan Giffen with the 12th overall pick in the second round and Western kicker/punter Marc Liegghio with the 23rd overall selection in the third round. I don't know a lot about any of those players but they would fill positional needs in B.C.

https://3downnation.com/2020/03/19/john-hodges-2020-cfl-mock-draft-1-0/
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The CFL has rescheduled the global combine and draft for the days immediately before the opening of training camp but they haven't given precise dates.

CFL GLOBAL DRAFT RESCHEDULED AS LEAD-IN EVENT PRIOR TO TRAINING CAMP
CrazyCanuck89
Starter

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:59 pm
The CFL global draft is still scheduled for April 16 and the national draft on April 30, despite the cancellation of regional and national combines that had been scheduled for this month. This could make the drafts even more of a crapshoot than normal, although teams can still interview players by phone or online and access game film and previous testing results.

That isn't likely to stop the flow of draft predictions and mock drafts in advance of the main events. John Hodge of 3downnation.com has published his first mock draft, predicting that the Lions will select North Dakota defensive end Mason Bennett with the third overall pick in the first round, massive 6 ft. 8, 335-lb. Western OL Dylan Giffen with the 12th overall pick in the second round and Western kicker/punter Marc Liegghio with the 23rd overall selection in the third round. I don't know a lot about any of those players but they would fill positional needs in B.C.

https://3downnation.com/2020/03/19/john-hodges-2020-cfl-mock-draft-1-0/

That would be good draft class for the Lions, especially since they didn't pick till the third round of Last years draft.

Griffen played LT at Western, but scouts think he is a guard at the next level. Similar to Shane Bergman, who also played LT at Western and ended up starting at LG for the Stamps.

Bennett had a solid college career of 20 sacks and 31 tackles for loss over a four years at North Dakota .

I could also see the Lions taking the safety with the greek last, who played for UBC. He tested positive for a banned substance last year and had to forgo the 2019 draft. He may be there in the fourth round in the 2020 draft.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Marshall Ferguson of TSN has also done a mock draft for cfl.ca. He has the Lions taking Montreal Carabins DB Marc-Antoine Dequoy in the first round, Brown DL Michael Hoecht in the second round and McMaster OL Jakub Szott in the third round. Again, I know much about the players but those are all positions of need for the Lions.

https://www.cfl.ca/2020/04/01/mock-1-0- ... rall-pick/
OV - 54:40
Champion

Liegghio is arguably, IMO, one of the best dual kicker prospects to be up in a CFL draft in a long, long time; doubt he is around still at #23, but maybe.

Dequoy or Bennett might be outstanding picks IMO - both potential impact players on D and maybe right away; Dequoy (6-2, 200 range, with a 4.35 hand held 40 time in testing) could possibly play anywhere in the D-backfield and maybe at OLB too. Hoecht sounds like a solid DT prospect as well.

Tough draft though for CFL GMs/scouts without the main CFL Combine tests, drills and interviews, but a bunch of top prospects should be able to stand on their college ball play resumes, plus there are other Combine type results - from last year's U Sports East-West game and from school pro days - to be viewed.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

One little tidbit I picked up in a recent article is that Lions 2015 Draft Pick Christian Covington remains a free agent after his 1 year deal with Dallas expired. I had assumed he was under contract to somebody down there.

Now I wouldn't expect him to be thinking CFL just yet even if it was business as usual for the CFL. If nothing happens down south for him by this time next year that might change things. In the meantime IF the NFL season can get started as per usual he would be on a fairly short list of unemployed NFL DT vets teams would be looking at if they run into injuries or ineffective play. Nonetheless it's something worth monitoring over the next several months. He's still only 26, 27 in October.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

The first CFL draft eligible player is now off the board in the NFL Draft. Abbotsford receiver Chase Claypool went to Pittsburgh halfway through the 2nd round (50th overall). ESPN has Neville Gallimore ranked 11th of the remaining players and 3rd among remaining DTs so he should be gone by the end of the 2nd or early in the 3rd.

Edit: Gallimore went mid third round 82nd overall to Dallas. 8th DT to go.

Should be several years before they wear out their welcome down there.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:54 am
One little tidbit I picked up in a recent article is that Lions 2015 Draft Pick Christian Covington remains a free agent after his 1 year deal with Dallas expired. I had assumed he was under contract to somebody down there.

Now I wouldn't expect him to be thinking CFL just yet even if it was business as usual for the CFL. If nothing happens down south for him by this time next year that might change things. In the meantime IF the NFL season can get started as per usual he would be on a fairly short list of unemployed NFL DT vets teams would be looking at if they run into injuries or ineffective play. Nonetheless it's something worth monitoring over the next several months. He's still only 26, 27 in October.
Hardly surprising, and as you anticipated Hambone, Covington is now happily signed to another NFL contract (this time with the Denver Broncos). https://3downnation.com/2020/04/28/cana ... r-broncos/
cms22
Starter

good stuff... thank you for all the good info.

did dequoy get nfl signed?

hand timed 40 is a very dubious... i think bo jackson did 4..10 handtimed many years ago. i think the fastest electronic nfl time is 4.24 or something like that. is it still dante stallworth?
cms22
Starter

looks like it is john ross (washington huskies WR now bengal) at 4.22.... huskies offense hasn't been the same since he left.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

cms22 wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:26 pm

did dequoy get nfl signed?
Yes. Green Bay signed him as a UDFA. Interesting that an SBNation article on Monday lauded him as one of 11 UDFA signings that the authors were excited about. On thing that could hurt him is he's a late bloomer. He's already 25 turning 26 in September. There might be less patience if he needs development time than if he was 22 or 23.

Marc-Antoine Dequoy, S, Université de Montréal
Signed with: Green Bay Packers
Dequoy was a celebrated U Sports defender — Canada’s equivalent to the NCAA. The Montreal Carabin is skilled in coverage along the slot and capable, at 6’2 and a still-growing 198 pounds, as a run defender. A 4.35-second 40 time suggests he’ll be a stout deep ball retriever in a system that can help him apply his Canadian football skills to the American gridiron.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2020/4/26/ ... ony-gordon
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Some last minute pre-draft thoughts on the Lions' draft potential from JC Abbott: https://3downnation.com/2020/04/29/2020 ... b-c-lions/
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Here's a final mock draft (first round only) from John Hodge of 3downnation.com. He has the Lions picking DL Michael Hoecht of Brown, which might be a reach given that Hoecht signed a free-agent deal with the L.A. Rams. I'd be happy if the Lions picked a top-tier defensive lineman or linebacker in the first round, though, likely either DE Isaac Adeyemi-Berglund of Southeastern Louisiana (who sacked LSU's Joe Burrow three times in one game) or LB Jordan Williams of East Carolina, who might be gone before the Lions make the No. 3 overall pick.

John Hodge’s 2020 CFL mock draft 3.0
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Lions trade with Calgary for the No. 1 overall pick.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Wow !