I created this thread as a CFL/Lions related thread for the COVID-19 crisis. But I want to suspend this for one posting to help any of you sort through fears and anxieties related to this virus as I am a Registered Clinical Counsellor and Psychotherapist. Here are some tips to get through this.
1) It is very easy to become obsessed with this story. We're living it in real-time. But I strongly urge you to select 2 trusted and reliable news sources and check in once, at say 7:00am or 8:00am, and again at say, 5:00pm. Limit social media. Otherwise, this can really become all-consuming in the age of 24-hour news channels and innumerable options, and we can start to catastrophize.
2) If you do start to catastrophize, play the "what if" game out fully. For example, "what if" I lose my job? Answer that question. What if you do lose your job (which you don't know for certain you will)? "Well, what if lose my job, I won't be able to make rent." What will happen then? "I will get kicked out of my apartment" How likely is this as many BC landlords are giving a reprieve on evictions and the federal government has freed up $52 billion in funds to help Canadians? But even if you do, what happens then? "I'll be forced to live on the street." Do you think absolutely no friend or relative would take you in for while, while you find a new job?
When this talking through
exercise has been taken to its "worst" imagined outcome, we usually find that people have the strength and resources to survive their worst fears.
3) Listen to medical professionals and scientists regarding this virus, not politicians and friends.
4) Try to maintain as much order and routine as possible. Our lives have been disrupted and this can change our mood and leave us very unsettled. However, if self-isolating, it may be a good opportunity to learn a new hobby or take an online course.
5) Give to others. Living "outside" yourself and your world can be tremendously therapeutic. Helping other people, volunteering, making that phone call to someone. Just meaningfully connecting with others is a huge mood enhancer and really inhibits anxiety.
Please DM me if you have any questions. Stay safe!