COVID-19 : How it could impact Lions/CFL

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Huge Talent
Starter

I'm all for it! 6 games is better than zero games for this fan.

Not sure I love 8 teams in the playoffs though. If they did 6 teams, then that 6 game season would be exciting (and meaningful).
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I wouldn't mind if somebody shut Twitter down until a decision was rendered. Too many things being leaked by the "insiders" that turn out to be nothing more than unfounded spitball speculation. Fans get all worked up over things that turn out to be nothing.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:54 pm
I wouldn't mind if somebody shut Twitter down until a decision was rendered. Too many things being leaked by the "insiders" that turn out to be nothing more than unfounded spitball speculation. Fans get all worked up over things that turn out to be nothing.
Yes please!! And really everything starts or stops on federal assistance whether it’s a “loan” or players being eligible for the CEWB program that would have to be extended beyond August.
Hub city, no hub city, schedule or playoff format all mean absolutely nothing without it. Until Ambrosie says there is financial support in place everything else is irrelevant.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Ambrosie is largely to blame for the breakdown in communications with the CFLPA and the ensuing leaks and rumours. Instead of saying the league was looking at several options, he should have spelled those options out publicly from the outset, with all the pros and cons of each, along with a deadline for making a decision. The NHL publicly outlined its hub city format and conditions and its list of prospective hub cities, which it amended as cities were eliminated. That way everyone knows what is under consideration and can be kept informed as options are narrowed down.
BC 1988
Legend

Re: "the insiders" it was an excellent 8 minutes or so on 1040 on Friday between Dhaliwal and Farhan.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040 ... -1.1491848
Hour 4 of Halford & Brough (with vacations Abbott & Dhaliwal) during the crossover segment at 47:10 Dhaliwal says he talked again with Braley "the other day, but I'm not going to say anything because I got in trouble the other time".

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040 ... -1.1491878
Hour 1 of Donnie (Farhan filling in) & the Moj From 3:29-9:10 Farhan opens up about how he feels having to deal with covering the CFL recently--it's unlike any other assignment he has had.
David
Team Captain

Thanks for that BC 1988. I do feel sorry for the players. I know it's not really anyone's fault but I feel like they are being dicked around a bit. Should they diligently work out every day and then there's no season? Take a job and make money to do what's best for their family or continue to play the "waiting" game on a return? Then there is all this shortened season, shortened-even-more season talk, Hub City format etc, etc. Every week, there's a new rumour.

There are no certainties with this thing, I get it. But their lives and livelihoods are essentially on hold. Must be awfully stressful.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Murdoch
All Star

Thought there was talk earlier about all players becoming free agents at some point if the season did not proceed. Haven't heard any more about that but believe negotiations are ongoing with the CFLPA. Not sure where they are on it though.

Anyone know more about that? Was there a certain date?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Murdoch wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:48 am
Thought there was talk earlier about all players becoming free agents at some point if the season did not proceed. Haven't heard any more about that but believe negotiations are ongoing with the CFLPA. Not sure where they are on it though.

Anyone know more about that? Was there a certain date?
Negotiations are ongoing. The league has set a July 23 deadline for adoption of health and safety protocols, assurance of acceptable federal funding, and the renegotiation of the CBA beyond its current expiration date of 2021. Here's an update from Dan Barnes of Postmedia:

Time working against Canadian Football League and players
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:50 am
Negotiations are ongoing. The league has set a July 23 deadline for adoption of health and safety protocols, assurance of acceptable federal funding, and the renegotiation of the CBA beyond its current expiration date of 2021. Here's an update from Dan Barnes of Postmedia:

I don't see how they could possibly renegotiate a new CBA in less than 3 weeks on top of everything else they would need to do to related to starting a shortened 2020 season. Best I think they could do would be similar to the NHL who are also trying to come up with a long-term CBA extension. The NHL and NHLPA agreed to a Memorandum of Understanding related to continued bargaining for an extension. It still has to be voted on by the NHL BOG and ratified by the NHLPA but expectations are both sides will pass it handily.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:45 am
B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:50 am

I don't see how they could possibly renegotiate a new CBA in less than 3 weeks on top of everything else they would need to do to related to starting a shortened 2020 season. Best I think they could do would be similar to the NHL who are also trying to come up with a long-term CBA extension. The NHL and NHLPA agreed to a Memorandum of Understanding related to continued bargaining for an extension. It still has to be voted on by the NHL BOG and ratified by the NHLPA but expectations are both sides will pass it handily.
Agreed. The CFLPA has said its priority is negotiating a return to play for 2020. There's no guarantee that players would even ratify a negotiated return to play agreement for a shortened 2020 season in a hub city. If they get past that hurdle, I can see both sides agreeing to continue negotiations on a CBA extension.
BC 1988
Legend

Good article--Barnes must have had info leaked to him by someone on the CFLPA side. (Considering how locked down the league has been with details).

I agree--it's more likely they will renegotiate a CBA only for the unique 2020 season (as requested by the CFLPA). The NHL had the huge carrot of Olympic participation (and long break for non-participating players) to offer. The CFL has no carrot to offer their players, only pain.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:28 pm
Good article--Barnes must have had info leaked to him by someone on the CFLPA side. (Considering how locked down the league has been with details).

I agree--it's more likely they will renegotiate a CBA only for the unique 2020 season (as requested by the CFLPA). The NHL had the huge carrot of Olympic participation (and long break for non-participating players) to offer. The CFL has no carrot to offer their players, only pain.
Given the collective state of all teams in the CFL and with recent things like the FOPS cap which has already been restructured downwards I think the CFL may be looking at things that might make for more fundamental or structural changes than normal. I think both the CFL and CFLPA really have to look at how to build a better business model for both sides that provides some more cost certainty while fostering a more productive partnership to grow the game and revenues. Simply tweaking or modifying a few things could make for a quick negotiation to extend but won't put the league on the sound footing it needs to be on to get through what could be a multi-year long Covid hangover. No way they can achieve the later in a week or two.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Word is the Feds plan to extend the emergency wage subsidy beyond August. This could big a significant development for the CFL proceeding with shortened 2020 season.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Playing into the concept Braley had for at least having a limited number of fans at games the Baltimore Ravens have announced effectively the same thing. They will be capping attendance at 14000, effectively 20% of capacity. Braley was talking more like 10% of capacity assuming being able to use both upper and lower bowls.

https://www.tsn.ca/baltimore-ravens-cap ... -1.1493358
johnchow604
Rookie

With only 6 games played, given the average CFL salary, I wonder whether players would think it's worth the risk. Also, would winning the Grey Cup this year be as special as it normally is or just something marked with an asterix next to it?