BC Lions 2019: Upon Further Review Column by Marshall Ferguson

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

https://www.cfl.ca/2020/02/17/upon-review-bc-lions/

Thanks to Gridiron Ernie for posting this earlier.

I think this deserves a thread of its own though as last season on offence shows clearly what was the issue in BC.

Now Toronto has the problem. haha
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
maxlion
Legend

I don't read the article as an indictment of JJ.

The article seems to lay most of the blame on the offensive line. Also says that they could have used the run more early in the year. And that the defense and special teams didn't help much. And that they need an impact receiver to complement Burnham.

That said, it wasn't a good year for anyone on the Lions staff. Hard to put the blame on any one person, but hopefully there will be some better synergy with the new staff.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

I’ve said this before and I believe the scatter chart reinforces it.

Jairous Jackson the OC designs offenses around the strengths of Jarious Jackson the QB, rather than the QB he has.

I wish him luck at his next destination, but I’m not sad he wasn’t retained.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:43 am
I’ve said this before and I believe the scatter chart reinforces it.

Jairous Jackson the OC designs offenses around the strengths of Jarious Jackson the QB, rather than the QB he has.

I wish him luck at his next destination, but I’m not sad he wasn’t retained.
Hard to argue with this when it comes to Jackson and schemes and play calling.

Not running early on is on the OC.

Slow pass routes that fans at practice could see weren't going to work - especially early when the OL was porous. Receivers weren't turning as that was how it was drawn up.

Too much crap with players at or near the LOS - defences have film.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
maxlion
Legend

The gist of the charts presented is that Reilly targeted the middle of the field more than usual, but had a lot fewer completions in that area. Ferguson says that this could be attributable to "pressure, scheme, preferences, receiver skill set, or any other variable imaginable".

His recommendations to address the issue are spending more $ on the offensive line, running the ball more often early, and finding a receiver to complement Burnham.

Other than the suggestion to run more, this article says nothing about JJ's competence as an OC. If anything, it puts the blame more on personnel.

Whether we agree with Ferguson is another matter. But that's what the article says, from my perspective.