BC Lions Free Agents Signings & Signings around the CFL

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

The_Pauser
Legend

Forget Bomben, we have signed Ryker Matthews from Hamilton. Anyone have information on him? 27 years old, 3 year veteran.
Roar you Lions roar!
The_Pauser
Legend

Micah Johnson signs with BC.

Boom!
Roar you Lions roar!
JohnnyMusso
Champion

With all these DL signings it means Odell Willis likely is gone for sure. I wonder if anyone will sign him? He is done.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Two huge signings for the Lions: DT Micah Johnson and OT Ryker Mathews.

Hulk defensive lineman Micah Johnson signs with the B.C. Lions

LIONS SIGN OFFENSIVE LINEMAN RYKER MATHEWS
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Farhan Lalji says Micah Johnson’s contract is for $200,000, which is $50,000 less than he reportedly made in Saskatchewan last year. With Odell Willis, Shawn Lemon, Junior Luke and David Menard off the books and younger FAs signed at the other DL positions, the Lions probably didn’t significantly alter their cap hit on the DL.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Wowsers! That's quite some work by Hervey IMO. The way we could line up in the trenches on both sides of the ball is looking mighty interesting, given some of the players we already had (e.g. Hunter S. & Joel Fig. on the o-line), plus today's earlier free-agent signings (e.g. Chris Casher and other new Lions on the d-line). That said, I can't imagine we have much if anything left to spend on our current somewhat average LB crew. I like Kevin Haynes' potential and like Herdman-Reid well enough as a National, but still wonder how effective that group will be if left as is.
The_Pauser
Legend

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:55 pm
Wowsers! That's quite some work by Hervey IMO. The way we could line up in the trenches on both sides of the ball is looking mighty interesting, given some of the players we already had (e.g. Hunter S. & Joel Fig. on the o-line), plus today's earlier free-agent signings (e.g. Chris Casher and other new Lions on the d-line). That said, I can't imagine we have much if anything left to spend on our current somewhat average LB crew. I like Kevin Haynes' potential and like Herdman-Reid well enough as a National, but still wonder how effective that group will be if left as is.
We also have O'Shane Samuels who could be used in the nickel. Haynes really impressed me last season and could be penciled in for a starters job.

I wonder if Jeff Knox Jr could be had at a reasonable price? Was great in Saskatchewan a few years ago. Took some time to try the NFL and hasn't had a consistent job since. Micah Awe is still available as well. Derrick Moncrief is also available though could be a bit pricier. We also have Adam Konar who might be penciled in for a bigger role on defense. I get the feeling that LB might be an area where we look to save some money.

I'm also curious what our secondary will look like. We have TJ Lee and Gary Peters returning. Aaron Grymes is out most of the season with his knee injury. I'd be happy if we can get Crezdon Butler back.

And of course, still hoping for Derel Walker on offense. I think we're one big play receiver away from getting to where we need to be.
Roar you Lions roar!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have added national linebacker Kevin Francis, who has been mainly a special teamer in the past four years in Saskatchewan and Ottawa. He could take the place of Frederic Chagnon, who signed in Montreal.

LIONS ADD FREE AGENT LINEBACKER KEVIN FRANCIS
cms22
Starter

i am very impressed with what we've done.

and i do think oline, dline and QB are where you have to solid players at all times.....i think most of the other areas you bring in new younger players. you need stability but not necessarily the big $$$$ investment.
cms22
Starter

do we have a new depth chart?

whole new dline?

one new oline starter? even though our oline improved so much later in year, it seemed like a work-in-progress. but i'm starting to realize the entire CFL is pretty much a work in progress.

did something happen for the CFL to have so much turnover? is it because many players targeted the new CBA and more $$$$

did shawn lemon get picked up elsewhere?

a bit rough being down 2 defensive back starters........ but i do think those areas are easier to pick up players.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

It was a helpless feeling trying to follow free agency yesterday. I'm up in Mackenzie working Monday to Thursday. Yesterday just as free agency was heating up the internet went down. Some issue with Telus is all I know. It didn't come back up until the wee hours of this morning. I was aware of Casher, Tuvai, D.Jones and Walker but that was it. Didn't find out about the rest until this morning.

Overall though I really like what Hervey did so far considering he would be SMS-challenged. It's likely Johnson was the only big ticket he could afford and it was where the biggest need was. Other than that it looks like he did well going after younger talent on the upswing that were good budget signings.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

BC 1988 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:21 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:14 pm
Saskatchewan has signed QB James Franklin. That takes care of one former Eskimo who could have distracted Ed Hervey from the Lions’ bigger priorities.
That was one time Farhan was off in his prediction (he had heard that Franklin was most likely to end up in BC).

As Hambone says, Franklin has been one of the more vilified players over on RF. This signing, along with Sol-E re-signing with SSK are noteworthy for them.

I tend to agree with David and Hambone about Fajardo--his style of play invites injuries and the way his season ended last year is indicative of that.
I think that "Fahran says" re: Franklin is based more on Media Math than substance. He has association with Hervey, Reilly and Maksymic = he must be going to BC. He also was with Edmonton at the same time as Craig Dickenson, Jason Maas and a couple of other current Rider coaches. What puzzles me most though about the Franklin to BC idea was that Farhan and others made zero reference to Arndt and how it might make sense to have both of them at camp when odds are they will dress only 2 QBs. I think BC had already made their decision on a veteran backup QB when they signed Arndt.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:29 am
Overall though I really like what Hervey did so far considering he would be SMS-challenged. It's likely Johnson was the only big ticket he could afford and it was where the biggest need was. Other than that it looks like he did well going after younger talent on the upswing that were good budget signings.
I was concerned when Walker's name was mentioned at the top when it came to the Lions and free agency. Maybe this is where we miss Lowell Ullrich's great work and he would have tipped Hervey's top priority was rebuilding the defensive line — not adding a dynamic receiver when 3 of your starters are already making $202,000, $193,000 and $130,000.

Maybe Walker still ends up in BC at probably the expense of a player already under contract but there were far too many other areas of concern to address on a 5-13 team that went winless against the West. I wanted to see upgrades and he delivered yesterday. He gets an all-star tackle to replace a guy we plucked of Calgary's practice roster last summer and that's nothing against Justin Renfrow. Even in a down year (yet it was pointed out yesterday he was double teamed 80 percent of the time) Micah Johnson is an upgrade on Shawn Lemon and so are the other 3 DL signees, significantly.

Came out of yesterday far more hopeful for the 2020 season.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

My take on Hervey fluctuates but is now on an upswing with the Dline improvements which were the top priority for the Lions.

LBs are still a concern but without a good Dline in front of them even all star LBs can look ordinary.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Dave Naylor said this morning he would be surprised if Derrell Walker does not end up in BC, so that could be another signing today.