BC Lions Free Agents Signings & Signings around the CFL

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Edmonton has signed OL Jean-Simon Roy from B.C. The Lions plucked him from Edmonton's practice roster last year.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Veteran B.C. special teamer Frederic Chagnon is reportedly returning home to Montreal to join the Als.
BC 1988
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:14 pm
Saskatchewan has signed QB James Franklin. That takes care of one former Eskimo who could have distracted Ed Hervey from the Lions’ bigger priorities.
That was one time Farhan was off in his prediction (he had heard that Franklin was most likely to end up in BC).

As Hambone says, Franklin has been one of the more vilified players over on RF. This signing, along with Sol-E re-signing with SSK are noteworthy for them.

I tend to agree with David and Hambone about Fajardo--his style of play invites injuries and the way his season ended last year is indicative of that.
cms22
Starter

so here's my summary,

we have SIGNED(not our resigning's)... not sure which of these are 100% confirmed.. and i don't know some of these names.

chris rainey - loved his role with lions. surprised there aren't more players like him in league......... i'm thinking of that really short allouettes return man from 10 years ago. i think noel devine (ex-WV.. incredible high school phenom would have been awesome for this role)

chris casher
ryan brown
jr tavai

all DL....... i don't know them. looks like casher has medium sack totals. brown medium-low totals........... wasn't sure about tavai

winnipeg special teams guy. from SFU.. forgot name....... alot of blocked punts..

WE LOST

junior luke
brandon dozier

i think DT is a good canadian position. for that 7th canadian starter. but if you don't like the talent you have, so be it... i have forgotten whether we have anyone else to throw into that role

dozier is big loss...... but i think good import DBs shouldn't be that hard to find.

honestly, the lions should have a draft/FA war room type meet-n-greet coffee......
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

One of the trackers (I think it was 3DownN) has OL Bryan Bomben coming to the Leos, and this now seems to be confirmed by the Argos.
Anyhow, I'm still looking over our fairly weak roster at the linebacker position, and dreaming we might yet snag the likes of Patrick Levels and/or Chris Ackie. Can't see us affording both, but a man can dream.
cms22
Starter

why would BC take franklin? with reilly making so much money, i think we have to try young players as backups. or very old player who wants to stick around.

frankly, i'm not a fan of any team having a high priced backup QB...... would an NBA team or an NHL team get a high priced young talent to serve similar role? i.e. have a replacement (who doesn't play) for kevin durant... i think your season is largely premised on these players not getting injured.

why is saskatchewan obsessed with franklin? i don't understand the connection
JohnnyMusso
Champion

So far no Derrel Walker or Micah Johnson. Maybe neither is coming here for they wanted too much money. Neither has signed with anyone else. So both remain up in the air on who they will sign with.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Former B.C. and Winnipeg DE Craig Roh has signed in Toronto.
cms22
Starter

lalji is saying lemon had 18 sacks in 23 games with lions........ what am i missing here? hervey corrected an egregious error, and then makes it again?

i get that age might be a factor.
cms22
Starter

have we ever figured out how cfl deals work?

they seem very non-guaranteed, as are NFL deals

BUT in the nfl, they get alot of $$$ upfront......... as i think they do in CFL. although CFL is nothing like the % money up-front.

jamarcus russell and albert haynesworth are prime examples. i think they got cheques for $40MM or more immediately.......russell as a rookie, and it seemed like neither of them even tried to earn their deals

so sukh chung making $200K per year might include a big bonus. so he's actually making $150K to $170K (something like that)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

cms22 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:40 pm
so sukh chung making $200K per year might include a big bonus. so he's actually making $150K to $170K (something like that)
Chungh's contract has been described as $750,000 over three years. That averages out to $250,000 a year but I've never seen a detailed breakdown of his salary. It's common in the CFL some money to be paid up front each year as a signing bonus and offseason roster bonus but that number is generally quite low.
The_Pauser
Legend

Bomben is a great signing. Not sure exactly where he'll play on the O-line, but good depth nonetheless.

Hopefully we aren't out on Johnson or Walker. Adding both those players would cap off a successful free agency.
Roar you Lions roar!
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

don't suppose Reilly would be willy to give up a hundred K to get Walker.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Bomben has not signed in B.C.
Joey Alfieri
@joeyalfieri
Mea Culpa: Apologies to all involved. There was a bit of confusion with my last report. Ryan Bomben has not signed in BC.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Larry Dean has signed in Hamilton, one year after Leaving Hamilton for Edmonton. The Lions still haven’t done anything to bolster their LB corps.