BC Lions Free Agents Signings & Signings around the CFL

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Derek Jones is an SFU alum who was mainly a special teamer in Winnipeg. He has 6 career blocked punts.

FORMER BOMBERS DB DEREK JONES SIGNS WITH LEOS
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Calgary has confirmed the signing of Branden Dozier. That's a huge blow to the Lions. He was an East Division all-star in Montreal in 2018. I thought he should have been an all-star last year in B.C. I considered him the Lions' most outstanding defensive player. He led the Lions in tackles in 16 games at the safety position, many of them touchdown-saving run stops on ball-carriers who burst through the line untouched. He also allowed the fewest yards per target of any safety last year, according to stats guru Derek Taylor. He is capable of playing SAM, safety or HB.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I did notice Jones as being a possible depth addition. Local product coming home. Seems like a decent ST's type who also has picked up defensive reps in Winnipeg.

Walker looks to be another NAT depth type who follows Campbell over after joining the REDBLACKS last September after being released by Hamilton.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

More on the Lions' signing of DE Chris Casher, who had 34 defensive tackles, 7 sacks and a forced fumble in 16 games in Calgary last year.

LIONS SIGN DE CHRIS CASHER TO 1-YEAR DEAL
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:49 am
More on the Lions' signing of DE Chris Casher, who had 34 defensive tackles, 7 sacks and a forced fumble in 16 games in Calgary last year.

That's a link to Derek Jones. Here's the correct link. Looks like a solid DE addition. That's more the type of signing I'd hope to see. Younger guy with a lot of upside who just turned 26 on Dec 30. I'd rather see guys like that brought in than recycling older vets who you hope you can squeeze 1 maybe 2 years out of. Perhaps a Deron Williams type signing, somebody entering their prime as opposed to nearing the end of it.

https://www.bclions.com/2020/02/11/lion ... year-deal/
Last edited by Hambone on Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
The_Pauser
Legend

Lions sign JR Tavai. That's a very good signing for our D-line.
Roar you Lions roar!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:20 am
B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:49 am

That's a link to Derek Jones. Here's the correct link. Looks like a solid DE addition.

https://www.bclions.com/2020/02/11/lion ... year-deal/
Thanks. Link fixed.

The CFL free-agent tracker lists Casher as a pending FA in Calgary and has been updated with his signing in B.C.
CASHER Chris A DL Faulkner University Signed with BC (02/11/20)
Hambone
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:26 am
Lions sign JR Tavai. That's a very good signing for our D-line.
I like that one too for same reasons as Casher. We may have our Lemon/Willis replacements much younger and in all likelihood much cheaper.
David
Team Captain

With Casher, Tavai, and Newsome, I am suddenly feeling pretty confident about our defensive ends. Throw in Mat Boesen for rotational depth who is likely to improve on an injury-filled rookie campaign and maybe a solid Canadian in David Menard (if we can re-sign him) who can play on the edge (or inside), and we could look pretty good at DE this season. :rockin:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Former B.C. first-round pick Junior Luke, who never lived up to expectations as a defensive tackle with the Lions, has reportedly agreed to terms in Montreal.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Encouraging moves by Hervey today. Maybe he does sign Walker when all is said and done but he is addressing their most important needs first —‚ mainly the defensive line.
The_Pauser
Legend

Lions reportedly making a strong push for DT Micah Johnson. That would be a huge signing and solidify our D-Line.
Roar you Lions roar!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have signed 6 ft. 6 DL Ryan Brown, who had 29 tackles, 8 sacks and an interception in two seasons in Montreal.

DEFENSIVE LINEMAN RYAN BROWN SIGNS WITH LIONS
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David Menard has signed with his hometown Alouettes. I loved his play and attitude in B.C. but he'll be a bigger asset in Montreal.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Marshall Ferguson of TSN has compiled some colour-coded charts of free agent transactions so far, and unsigned free agents by team:

https://twitter.com/TSN_Marsh/status/12 ... 73/photo/2