Jefferson wants $300,000 - Hervey Not Interested

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

cms22
Starter

derel walker? i don't think we need an american receiver (hope i have that correct)...

we need pass rush/DLine............. everything else i think is ok or not that important (rush defense)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The only d-lineman worth $300,000 would be Cam Wake in his prime.
Murdoch
All Star

cms22 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:27 pm
what does bighill make?
Jan 15, 2019 story by 3DownNation claims the 3 year deal to be worth $750,000 of hard money. Signing bonus of $105,000 included in a salary of $230,000 for 2019. Doesn't mention play time bonuses or housing allowances. They reported him to be the highest paid defensive player at the time.

I think Sask signed Micah Johnson to a $250,000 deal shortly after.

Where it gets a bit confusing is at the same press conference they announce Bighill joining Wellington West Capital conveniently chaired by the husband of the Bomber chairman of the board. Details were confidential, I won't speculate any further.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

cms22 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:29 pm
derel walker? i don't think we need an american receiver (hope i have that correct)...

we need pass rush/DLine............. everything else i think is ok or not that important (rush defense)
This one baffles me too. Is this Hervey just so caught up on his former position as a player? They are already paying two receivers top end salaries (Burnham $202,000/Durant $193,000). How on earth can you justify a third in a cap era? Even in the prime years of the Wally era there were two well-paid receivers in Simon and Clermont with changing parts around them. Once Wally moved on from Clermont, Paris Jackson was slotted into that salary spot.
Does he really have no trust in his scouting to find an entry level American receiver? Shaq Evans had been making $76,000 the past 2 seasons before extending with the Riders following his all-star year.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Dave Naylor of TSN says Jefferson has narrowed his choices to Winnipeg, Toronto and Hamilton.
cms22
Starter

has something changed in getting new american players? do many either try to hang around nfl taxi squads and/or get into something else instead of CFL?........ or was that always the case?

seems like you could target "preferred type non-drafted american players"...

pass rushers too small for the NFL. must be tons of them.

someone like jeffcoat for winnipeg was a 5-star recruit out of high school... i'm guessing just too small for nfl.

must be all kinds of 4-star and high 3-star players that had good college careers but don't get much love from the nfl.

maybe instead of paying them $70k.. pay them $150k (including performance bonus) and with alot of team optionality.

if you're going to pay those guys C$70k, i can see them hanging around on nfl margins or doing something else.

how many good new imports did we develop with hervey? is there one?
JohnnyMusso
Champion

The latest word is Winnipeg has offered him $250,000 and Toronto will offer him $290,000 according to Farhan.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Jefferson has reportedly signed a two-year contract to stay in Winnipeg despite being offered more money by the Argos.