Will Lions Overhaul the roster for 3rd year in a Row

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Will Lions Overhaul the roster for 3rd year in a Row

Yes
58%
No
No votes
Maybe
33%
No opinion
8%

Total votes: 12
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I hate to vote this way, but my feeling is they will, which is a mistake. I believe the Lions have not signed 1 pending free agent since Jan 1. Last year they only signed a few and this year 4 or 5 I believe.

They let Lemon walk last year which was a mistake and he played well for us since his return, but will Hervey let him walk again. Maybe Hervey is hoping to sign Jefferson if he doesn't stick with the Dolphins and saving his money.

Just 4 weeks left to sign guys and I think just 2 or 3 will sign and Hervey will overhaul the roster once again and Lions will take time to gel once again. I think we need to sign 5 or 6 guys before Feb 12 or whatever the date is before free agency begins
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Most CFL rosters have a high turnover rate every year. Lions have some openings at D line and LB so there is the overhaul. I guess.
maxlion
Legend

Less than last year but more than was the case historically due to the number of free agents around the league now. Most teams are in the same boat, whether they like it or not.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

define overhaul. How many players have to be changed for this to apply?
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Depends on how many ex-Eskimos are available on the free market.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

KnowItAll wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:01 pm
define overhaul. How many players have to be changed for this to apply?
Basically the same as last 2 years. Last year Lions signed just 2 or 3 of their pending free agents. I hope they don't just sign 1 or 2 guys going forward. If Lions basically rebuild their defence then to me that is an overhaul. I don't mind rebuilding the linebackers for other than the guy who came halfway through the season(who was basically a backup, but could be their new Middle LInebacker, none impressed me. But I hate to see them lose their best free agents. In the past, Lions maybe changed 2 or 3 guys on defence, but more than 50% again is too much.

So that is what I mean more than 50% of their defence like last year and year before. Also could be 2 or 3 new starters on OL if they let David F, Justin Renfrow and Hunter S go.

And other teams have resigned guys since Jan 1. Lions none. Not one in 14 days and minor signings don't count. Why they signed Keon Lyn again is a mystery?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Yes. The Lions are facing a salary cap squeeze. Because of Mike Reilly's salary, they have less money to spend than other teams on retaining their own free agents and signing new ones. Either David Foucault or Hunter Steward will likely be gone, and probably one or two starting DBs.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Lions haven't been totally idle. They extended Durant and Shaq J, two very important NAT pieces in the receiving mix. With Burnham, Cottoy and Simonese under contract a lot of the work in that position group is done. They extended John White just after Grey Cup and Rutley since then solidifying RB. Tack on Reilly that's 3 of 4 position groups on offense that are in good shape. Definitely lots of work to be done on the other side of the ball. I'm expecting heavy overhaul there, especially on the DL. Wonder of a return of 56 might be in the future?

If you want to talk inactive then look no further than Edmonton and Montreal who have combined to sign nobody since the FA lists were released back in early December.
Last edited by Hambone on Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I'm not sure what the Lions GM is doing these days and I'm beginning to question his overall judgment whether it's coaching staff (not arguing with the current HC pick in Rick Campbell though) or player contract decisions.

His post Claybrooks talk would get a corporate executive fired by admitting the pick wasn't the right one and the GM didn't agree with how the team was being coached. Unless his HC wouldn't listen to his feedback on what the issues were and some help to re-focus the team or act to correct the state of the team it seems the GM didn't do his job. I'm not talking about taking over the team but he could see what an average fan saw with this team at practice and actually speak to his HC on these things. GM is not there to pick a HC and say no more until he fires him.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Murdoch
All Star

Roster overhauls are the new norm with the one year deals . Every team going through the same thing.

Not really a good thing for anyone other than the players imo.
cms22
Starter

on one hand, i would cut the lions and hervey some slack as we have new head coach, the league has lots of movement in general and a very large amount this off-season.

BUT,

it strikes me hervey's re-arrangement of roster each of the last 2 season has been poor. this last season outright disastrous.

trying to sell the naive fan that we found all these canadian overlooked gem players. and then in fairly short order being back to the league minimum canadians and having to trade for a player he allowed to leave in the off-season so that our DLine wasn't worst in the league by a large margin........