BC Lions All-Decade Team

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Taking a stab at this today. Here are my selections. Plenty up for debate (e.g. Ty Long over Paul McCallum at kicker) but one thing's for sure. This "team" would be nearly unstoppable if all played on the field in their prime. :thup: I tried to stick to the ratio too.

Quarterbacks
14 Travis Lulay
13 Mike Reilly

Running Backs
33 Andrew Harris FB
46 Rolly Lumbala FB

Receivers
84 Emmanuel Arceneaux
85 Shawn Gore

Slotbacks
16 Bryan Burnham WR
81 Geroy Simon
1 Arland Bruce III

Offensive Linemen
61 Joel Figueroa LT
62 Cody Husband C/G
64 Angus Reid C
67 Hunter Steward G
63 Jovan Olafioye RT

Defensive Linemen
97 Brent Johnson DE
96 Khalif Mitchell DT
79 Eric Taylor DT
94 Khreem Smith DE

Linebackers
56 Solomon Elimimian MLB
44 Adam Bighill LB
51 Micah Awe LB
8 Boseko Lokombo NKL

Defensive Backs
45 Jason Arakgi S
31 Dante Marsh CB
24 Korey Banks DB
21 Ryan Phillips DB
6 T. J. Lee DB
2 Davis Sanchez CB

Special Teams
40 Mike Benson LS
1 Ty Long K
3 Richie Leone P
2 Chris Rainey KR
32 Yonus Davis PR

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Jason Arakgi was never a starter at defensive back. He was a regular on Special Teams.
pennw
Legend

Don't remember Davis Sanchez starting for BC either . A great DB for the Als though.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

pennw wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:14 am
Don't remember Davis Sanchez starting for BC either . A great DB for the Als though.
Sanchez is from the Vancouver area and finished the last year or two of his career with the Lions.
David
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:20 am
Jason Arakgi was never a starter at defensive back. He was a regular on Special Teams.
I wanted to acknowledge his special teams prowess as the choices were Tad Crawford, JR LaRose, Kenyan Parker, Cauchy Muamba, and Anthony Thompson.

Brandon Dozier didn't play a full season for us in 2019, but I suppose it should be him.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I think I would have taken Keron Williams at DEnd over K. Smith. He was listed as a tackle but he seemed to play an awful lot at the end position.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Picking an all-decade team is tough. Do you choose a player with one or two excellent seasons over a longer-term starter with many good seasons?

Players such as Geroy Simon, Arland Bruce, Brent Johnson and Davis Sanchez were most productive in the previous decade. Simon, Bruce and Johnson were all major contributors to the 2011 Grey Cup team but they were at the tail ends of their careers. Johnson retired after the 2011 season. Simon and Bruce's production tailed off sharply in 2012, their final season with the Lions, but I don't know if anyone is more worthy of making the all-decade team.

I would definitely exclude Sanchez, though. He was a ratio-changing cornerback in the previous decade but only played one full season with the Lions in 2010. He suffered a career-ending elbow injury during the Lions' 0-5 start to the 2011 season, in which his side of the field was badly exploited by opponents. The secondary instantly improved when he was replaced.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:06 pm
Players such as Geroy Simon, Arland Bruce, Brent Johnson and Davis Sanchez were most productive in the previous decade. Simon, Bruce and Johnson were all major contributors to the 2011 Grey Cup team but they were at the tail ends of their careers. Johnson retired after the 2011 season.
Choose all the starting players from the 2011 Grey Cup game to represent the all-decade team. Fair enough? :good:
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
David
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
I would definitely exclude Sanchez, though. He was a ratio-changing cornerback in the previous decade but only played one full season with the Lions in 2010. He suffered a career-ending elbow injury during the Lions' 0-5 start to the 2011 season, in which his side of the field was badly exploited by opponents. The secondary instantly improved when he was replaced.
Point taken. Sanchez was my alternate at CB. I would put TJ Lee on the corner and have Sanchez there if ratio dictated. But yes, his best years outside of the Chargers were with the Als.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
CrazyCanuck89
Starter

I don't think Lokombo played SLB, he was mostly a WLB with the Lions.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:28 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Players such as Geroy Simon, Arland Bruce, Brent Johnson and Davis Sanchez were most productive in the previous decade. Simon, Bruce and Johnson were all major contributors to the 2011 Grey Cup team but they were at the tail ends of their careers. Johnson retired after the 2011 season.
Choose all the starting players from the 2011 Grey Cup game to represent the all-decade team. Fair enough? :good:
There's always some bias towards championship teams, so a good summary would be:

1. The 1964 BC Lions would be the all-1960's decade team.
2. The 1985 BC Lions would be the all-1980's decade team.
3. The 1994 BC Lions would be the all-1990's decade team.
4. The 2006 BC Lions would be the all-2000's decade team.
5. The 2011 BC Lions would be the all-2010's decade team.

With all due respect to the 2000 BC Lions team, the are by far the least popular and are overshadowed by the 2006 and 1994 teams.

And among the non-Grey Cup decades:

6. The 1959 BC Lions with the only playoff appearance would be the all-1950's decade team.
7. The 1977 BC Lions with the only playoff win would be the all-1970's decade team in an otherwise very pitiful decade.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Excuse the liberty, but just gonna' slip this into this thread, though it's a wee bit off, in that Mr. Wake was with us for his couple sterling seasons in the previous decade (2007 & 2008) -- however it's a noteworthy release by the Titans in the world of NFL news. Amazing to think he's 38 and still was excelling prior to his mid-season injury. https://3downnation.com/2020/03/12/tita ... eron-wake/