Coaching staff announced.

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Coaching staff announced. Only holdovers from last year are Bates and Phillips.

https://www.bclions.com/2020/01/06/lion ... ing-staff/
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
BC 1988
Legend

OC Jordan Maksymic another ex EDM.
Offensive assistant Danny O’Brien gets to still be Mike Riley's valet.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Was hoping the name Travis Lulay would have been on that list, but maybe better for Maksymic that he is not. Nobody is going to be calling for O'Brien to take over as OC if the Lions offence struggles again this year.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:08 pm
OC Jordan Maksymic another ex EDM.
Offensive assistant Danny O’Brien gets to still be Mike Riley's valet.
Before trying to tie O'Brien to the hip of Reilly please be reminded that he spent 3 years as one of Campbell's backup QBs before he ever worked with Reilly. It was Campbell's old OC Jason Maas who brought O'Brien to Edmonton. He certainly didn't do that to provide competition for Reilly. I think Maas probably recognized from working with him in Ottawa that O'Brien would work very well with Reilly in terms of supporting him, being another set of eyes etc.

We shouldn't underestimate the value some of these journeyman backups and 3rd stringers can bring in terms of potential as coaches. There's been about a half dozen NFL HCs this past decade who spent time as CFL QB backups.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

The best news to come out of this is that Jarious Jackson is gone.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Kudos to Rick Campbell. These look like solid choices all around.

Jordan Maksymic was no surprise. He was the only option left. I don’t know much about his offensive philosophy but if he just brings Jason Maas’s schemes to B.C. that would be a positive change from Jarious Jackson.

I don’t know anything about Don Yanowsky but Rick Campbell obviously does. Having recent experience as a CFL special teams coordinator is essential.

Many of us had expressed hope that Ryan Phillips and Kelly Bates would be retained. Campbell’s decision to keep them validates their success in an otherwise ineffective and inexperienced 2019 coaching staff.

Leroy Blugh and Travis Brown are experienced coaches who should be able to get better results from the Lions’ front 7 this year.

I notice that the Lions named only 10 coaches. They are allowed 11 under the CFL coaching cap. That could just be a cost-cutting move with the team still paying DeVone Claybrooks but it also leaves the door open to naming another assistant at some point.
David
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:44 pm
We shouldn't underestimate the value some of these journeyman backups and 3rd stringers can bring in terms of potential as coaches. There's been about a half dozen NFL HCs this past decade who spent time as CFL QB backups.
Exactly. The John Becks, Dave Dickensons, and Danny O'Briens of the world made it to pro football not from being gifted athletically but from being smart.

I'll take a cerebral ex-QB as an OC than a superior athlete ex-QB any day. There is no positive correlation between QB rating (when he played) and success as a coach. I believe it is more to do with how he thinks the game.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
David
Team Captain

The part that jumps out at me most reading the profiles of the new coaches:

Waaaaay more coaching experience than previous regime. That can only help us. :thup:

Roar, You Lions, Roar
BC 1988
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:08 pm
Kudos to Rick Campbell. These look like solid choices all around.

Jordan Maksymic was no surprise. He was the only option left. I don’t know much about his offensive philosophy but if he just brings Jason Maas’s schemes to B.C. that would be a positive change from Jarious Jackson.

I don’t know anything about Don Yanowsky but Rick Campbell obviously does. Having recent experience as a CFL special teams coordinator is essential.

Many of us had expressed hope that Ryan Phillips and Kelly Bates would be retained. Campbell’s decision to keep them validates their success in an otherwise ineffective and inexperienced 2019 coaching staff.

Leroy Blugh and Travis Brown are experienced coaches who should be able to get better results from the Lions’ front 7 this year.
Agreed. Pretty much all of the new coaches are either ex-EDM or ex-OTT, but the best thing is they all have at least a few years of CFL coaching experience. (ST is a huge upgrade from last season.)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:05 pm
X2 My thoughts as well
Hambone
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:22 pm
Hambone wrote:
Exactly. The John Becks, Dave Dickensons, and Danny O'Briens of the world made it to pro football not from being gifted athletically but from being smart.

I'll take a cerebral ex-QB as an OC than a superior athlete ex-QB any day. There is no positive correlation between QB rating (when he played) and success as a coach. I believe it is more to do with how he thinks the game.

Agreed. In hockey most of the top coaches are guys who were mostly journeyman calibre grinder types. They made it as players not because of natural talent but because they had to work their tails off learning all the fine little details. Same with a lot of football coaches. Many were fringe calibre players but got to the level they did by deligently studying the X's and O's, paying attention to the finite details and being prepared.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:05 pm
Amen to that.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Hambone wrote:
We shouldn't underestimate the value some of these journeyman backups and 3rd stringers can bring in terms of potential as coaches.
Signed
Hufnagel, J.
Milanovich, S.
Jones, J.
Dinwiddie, R.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:10 pm
Hambone wrote:
We shouldn't underestimate the value some of these journeyman backups and 3rd stringers can bring in terms of potential as coaches.
Signed
Hufnagel, J.
Milanovich, S.
Jones, J.
Dinwiddie, R.
Also signed:
Payton, S.
Klingsbury, K.
Taylor, Z.
Garrett, J.
McCoy, M.

3 current and 2 recent NFL HCs who spent time as CFL backup QBs.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:17 pm
Coast Mountain Lion wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:10 pm
Hambone wrote:
Signed
Hufnagel, J.
Milanovich, S.
Jones, J.
Dinwiddie, R.
Also signed:
Payton, S.
Klingsbury, K.
Taylor, Z.
Garrett, J.
McCoy, M.

3 current and 2 recent NFL HCs who spent time as CFL "backup"QBs.
I was just thinking of CFL coaches, having paid almost no recent attention to any NFL activity.

Emphasis added to the above - I recognise the names Zac Taylor and Kliff Kingsbury as both having a had a cup of coffee with the Bombers but have no idea about the others.
Last edited by Coast Mountain Lion on Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.