Alouette's Sold

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Dusty
Champion

The Alouettes have new ownership. The press conference introduced one of the new owners who described their ownership process as starting when they were watching this years Grey Cup and found out that the Als were available for sale. In 3 weeks they completed the process.

Two interesting (to me) parts of the presser . First was when the new owner was asked why he did not get involved with the purchase of the Argo's, since he is based in Ontario. His reply was that "the Argo's Suck!"...

The second was when Ambrosie mentioned that all the other groups that went into the negotiations with the CFL were groups that were multiple ownership groups . Part of the their negotiations were internal as they were working out how they would proceed as owners. This new ownership group were business partners in a single entity.

I think that Ambrosias comments have implications for the BC Lions. Clearly a single owner with deep pockets is preferred by the CFL over other models.

3Down article below.
https://3downnation.com/2020/01/06/sid- ... alouettes/
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It sounds like a good deal for the Alouettes. Interesting implications for the Lions. I’d love to know the financial terms of the Als’ deal. That could set the benchmark for the sale of the Lions and the valuation of an expansion franchise in Halifax.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Dusty wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:36 am

I think that Ambrosias comments have implications for the BC Lions. Clearly a single owner with deep pockets is preferred by the CFL over other models.
I think that goes without saying for any league. That's not to say other models can't work but a single owner model will always be preferable over ownership by committee.

NFL rules allow for multi-party ownerships but the controlling owner must have at least a 30% stake and their cannot be more than 24 people with stakes in a team. Packers of course remain community owned. Beyond that just about every other club is either individually owned or controlled by a family. The Giants appear to be an exception with ownership split 50/50 between John Mara and Steve Tisch. Mara ownership goes back to the club's founding in 1925. The Tisch family bought in back in 1991 when Tim Mara who was battling cancer sold his half to Bob Tisch, Steve's dad.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.