Lions Lost No Players to NFL

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have officially released Chris Edwards, who reportedly plans to sign with San Francisco.

https://www.cfl.ca/2020/01/07/lions-rel ... ortnities/
Qman
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:16 pm
I would not have expected Chris Edwards to be the first Lion to jump to the NFL. I thought he had an unspectacular season after a great training camp. He is a pending FA who would need to be released early to sign with the NFL this month.

https://twitter.com/TSNDaveNaylor/statu ... 09409?s=20
no chance he was going to be re-signed, unless it was a big pay cut and moved to a less import position.

seems every year a bunch marginal CFL players sign with NFL since the increase to 90man NFL Training camp roster. Also, notice CFL TC cuts find spots in NFL camps after june. NFL camps are 15 players too much and those guys can't play in either league.
cms22
Starter

how does it work in terms of playing in 2 leagues in one season? i know you can't do it while signed to both leagues. but any restrictions on doing both generally?

is there a pattern to the nfl signees? strikes me it's not big players. of course, 60% of oline is usually non-import
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

cms22 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:31 pm
how does it work in terms of playing in 2 leagues in one season? i know you can't do it while signed to both leagues. but any restrictions on doing both generally?

is there a pattern to the nfl signees? strikes me it's not big players. of course, 60% of oline is usually non-import
It's a one way street. Players cut in the NFL can play in the CFL in the same season once they have cleared waivers and become free agents for NFL purposes regardless of that happening before or after the NFL season ends.

The reverse does not totally hold true. A CFL player might be able to join an NFL team if he is released prior to the CFL season starting. If he plays 1 regular season game or otherwise draws a regular season CFL cheque he cannot play in the NFL that same season. There is clear language in the NFL CBA that lays it all out.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Qman
Champion

although its clear the Castillo is trying two play in two leagues in one year.
XFL in spring, and probably back here to compete for a spot in June. Kickers did this in XFL 1.