Lions Lost No Players to NFL

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

JohnnyMusso
Champion

This morning, Hamilton released Addison to pursue NFL, Eskimos released another and yesterday Als released Stanback. Since season ending most teams have released players, except BC. Why?

Anyway it is good news for the Lions for hate to lose some of our key players.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

The why might be because we didn't have any players good enough to draw NFL interest which goes a long ways to explaining 5-13. No young guys did enough to draw interest and the vets that did play well are too old for the NFL to be interested. So far all guys getting released are in the 23 to 26 age bracket. Bralon Addison is the old fart so far and he just turned 26 in October. Not only are the Lions not losing any players there's no reports of any even earning workouts.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions released Jonathan Newsome in December but, as was speculated in another thread, it may just be that Campbell didn't want him after cutting him last year in Ottawa.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:53 am
The why might be because we didn't have any players good enough to draw NFL interest which goes a long ways to explaining 5-13.
Precisely
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:03 pm
The Lions released Jonathan Newsome in December but, as was speculated in another thread, it may just be that Campbell didn't want him after cutting him last year in Ottawa.
Forgot about Newsome but I think he fits into that too old for NFL interest demographic. He'll be 29 in 3 weeks.
BC 1988
Legend

Right after the season ended, Castillo and Toomer were released by the Lions.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29865
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Thanks for the correction BC 1988. I forgot about that for it was so long ago.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Does anyone know if Castillo and Toomer were signed by a NFL team for I have heard nothing.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Found this online:

HOUSTON ROUGHNECKS:

Sergio Castillo – Kicker: Castillo is one of my favorite picks of the draft. Castillo played for the Canadian Football League’s British Columbia Lions in 2019 and had 41 converted field goals of 45. Yes, that is 41/45. I’m excited to see if he brings that consistency from our neighbors up north to Texas.

Seems he wanted to play in the XFL. Bit of a risk for a league that may last just 1 year.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:20 pm

Seems he wanted to play in the XFL. Bit of a risk for a league that may last just 1 year.
Which is riskier though? Being in a league that might last only one year or being a one-dimensional kicker with an unfavourable passport in the CFL?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Toomer is 31. He bounced around the NFL for seven years before coming to the Lions. He also had an XFL tryout but isn’t listed on a training camp roster. He doesn’t seem to have many options.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Found this online:

HOUSTON ROUGHNECKS:

Sergio Castillo – Kicker: Castillo is one of my favorite picks of the draft. Castillo played for the Canadian Football League’s British Columbia Lions in 2019 and had 41 converted field goals of 45. Yes, that is 41/45. I’m excited to see if he brings that consistency from our neighbors up north to Texas.

For a kicker the XFL might be a better chance of getting NFL interest. For a kicker it wouldn't really matter if the players around you are not NFL calibre as long as you can make the long ones with consistency.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I would not have expected Chris Edwards to be the first Lion to jump to the NFL. I thought he had an unspectacular season after a great training camp. He is a pending FA who would need to be released early to sign with the NFL this month.

https://twitter.com/TSNDaveNaylor/statu ... 09409?s=20
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Chris Edwards expected to sign with 49ers

https://www.tsn.ca/ex-lion-chris-edward ... -1.1422280
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Found this online:

HOUSTON ROUGHNECKS:

No risk at all. If the XFL folds, he comes back to the CFL. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Castillo does a 1-year contract with Houston and gets his release in time for CFL training camp. I also expect he has a handshake deal with Hervey to sign with BC if he returns to the CFL.

A kicker is the only position that could play football all year round without putting a devastating toll on his body. So Castillo is essentially double dipping because he is in the unique position to do so.

Worst case: he bounces between the CFL and XFL and doubles his income for a year (or as longer if the XFL survives). Best case: he lands a job in the NFL.